Head or Heart.

tanner

From what I have heard the "free" healthcare in the UK is not what  it used to be

& long waiting lists for just about anything. 

It must have been a very difficult decision to make, in particular if he has no family there.

Cold, miserable & on your own, is there any sense to it at 88 ?

On 8/31/2023 at 11:29 PM, tanner said:

returned to UK in March this year, glad to escape the heat, hate the long flights and airport hassle plus the regular fiasco at Jomtien immigration. 

But miss my wonderful Thai lady and feel I'm letting her down because I've decided not to go back, she lives and works in Sattahip, not many farangs there so doubt she'll find a replacement!.

I'm  88 years old in 2 weeks so sadly it's head over heart !!. 

would like to hear comments. 

10 years too old to have sex. Your gf must have been desperate for money. No offence but 88 is old.

She should find someone around her age or within 20 years.

But if she is 70yo herself then i apologise.

If she is under 50yo she is far better off.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, patman30 said:

why are they toxic?
without any details, one could easily assume a poor woman who has been in a faithful relationship for who knows how long
will now be facing life alone, as he decided to go home and not come back
now things could be very different but lack of details leads one to assume
personal i hate the common farang attitude of making sure she cannot get my money so i have the option to jet off whenever i want and leave her stuck, penniless or holding debts attitude many have here, but thats just me.

Why should she get money still? Compensation for sleeping with dads army? Women should have some self respect

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

One comment suggest she'll (GF) be off with another foreigner soon.

Another advises not to defer decisions reminding the op that he'll die soon.

Another suggest she (the GF) is better off without the op and replacing him will be easy.

Nothing other than toxicity in any of those comments. 

Assume - thats all you have done there.

Did you assume that the op needs medical care which cannot be provided here in Thailand ?

No... you've allowed your negative bias to influence your thoughts and the project your negative hyperbolae. 

The Op made it clear that he had to make a decision with his head rather than follow his heart... that already sounds tough. 

He is 88yo. Already 5 years past average lifespan in the longest living countries.

What planet are you living on?

If she is 40 years younger she is far better off finding someone in her age group

On 8/31/2023 at 8:03 PM, Dan O said:

Hard decision to make but you have to weigh all the factors pro and con and make the choice thats best. You don't mention how long your together with the lady or the deciding factors of why your not going back. If its due to advanced age, have you thought of bringing her with you? Plus for her going as she knows you and could (I hope) help take care of you. 

Good comments, 6 years together, she will not leave Thailand, home and family is Sattahip, I know I'm going to need good health care as I get older ,don't want to die in Thailand even though I've had nearly 20 happy years there, I'm being selfish and SAD !. !.

2 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I'm 70 and considering a permanent move to Thailand - the only thing that was holding me back was a reliance on the NHS but I'm now starting to believe that that is no longer a major consideration. Luckily, if I sold up here I would be able to self-insure to quite a high degree.

Be careful...... if you are already reliant on the NHS, those services will cost you a bit here here. If you are okay with a simple lifestyle, I say go for it.... but beware that living well is not so cheap here these days. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I'm 70 and considering a permanent move to Thailand - the only thing that was holding me back was a reliance on the NHS but I'm now starting to believe that that is no longer a major consideration. Luckily, if I sold up here I would be able to self-insure to quite a high degree.

Go for it. I'd be terrified of going back to Miseryland and having to cope without the superb healthcare I've had (and paid for) here. Just make sure you keep a good wedge in the bank and don't blow it on buying land and motorcycles for some girlfriend and her family.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:48 PM, bignok said:

Why should she get money still? Compensation for sleeping with dads army? Women should have some self respect

imagine thinking all she was doing was sleeping with the guy
The man is 88 years old, as you state past expectancy in many places
i am pretty sure she would be doing a lot more to care for him
chances are more likely she was basically his 24/7 nurse/cook/cleaner

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, patman30 said:

imagine thinking all she was doing was sleeping with the guy
The man is 88 years old, as you state past expectancy in many places
i am pretty sure she would be doing a lot more to care for him
chances are more likely she was basically his 24/7 nurse/cook/cleaner

Probably. Wiping his bum too.

• Sad 4

On 9/1/2023 at 11:56 PM, jacko45k said:

Be careful...... if you are already reliant on the NHS, those services will cost you a bit here here. If you are okay with a simple lifestyle, I say go for it.... but beware that living well is not so cheap here these days. 

I'm only reliant on the NHS is that I have various non life-threatening conditions that need monitoring and medications, all of which I could get quite cheaply in Thailand.

What made me wake up and smell the coffee was my father's situation - like many in the UK (including myself) be does a home-test screening for bowel cancer every three years. A couple of years ago they needed to investigate further and confirmed that he has early stage but, because of his age, they will not operate - but will provide palliative care if/when the brown stuff hits the fan (!). He has absolutely no symptoms but will now live the last few years of his life knowing that he has cancer. Thanks NHS - he was better off not knowing!

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why not hop a flight to TH, and have the surgery done here ?

He's 94 and does not do long-haul or 30-degree heat very well.

My point is not so much that they will not treat it - fair enough at his age - but the fact that they tested him and gave him the news fully knowing that he was beyond help. This was two years ago and, as I said, he had and still has no symptoms. Ignorance would have been bliss.

• Thumbs Up 1

IMO opinion I guess he should stay in England. now I am not British, and I went back to OZ I am a spring chicken of 76 and could not afford health insurance in Thailand. Here I get it free plus cheap medicine. I guess Thailand is OK for younger people but one's you get older it is not so good. But this is just my own Opinion, and many posters will disagree with me, but I am happy I have gone back.

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

IMO opinion I guess he should stay in England. now I am not British, and I went back to OZ I am a spring chicken of 76 and could not afford health insurance in Thailand. Here I get it free plus cheap medicine. I guess Thailand is OK for younger people but one's you get older it is not so good. But this is just my own Opinion, and many posters will disagree with me, but I am happy I have gone back.

If you couldn't afford 100,000-150,000 baht for insurance in Thailand, then so sad and Thailand is better off with you back in OZ

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, still kicking said:

You are broke. Dont give advice.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, London Lowf said:

He's 94

Bless his little heart.  Yea, that's a bit different, and chance of surviving surgery, if other issues or how severe cancer is & growth.

Ignorant bliss would have been nice, but 94, think I already knows he's on borrowed time.  I think that, and I'm only 68.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Bless his little heart.  Yea, that's a bit different, and chance of surviving surgery, if other issues or how severe cancer is & growth.

Ignorant bliss would have been nice, but 94, think I already knows he's on borrowed time.  I think that, and I'm only 68.

68 is young. 94 is old, could drop dead anyday.

• Like 1