Each Time House Meeting Collapses Through Lack Of Quorum ‘8.2m Baht Is Wasted’

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Atthakorn Sirilatthayakon had tabled a motion on solving low shrimp prices.

Wow!

Tackling the big issues right out of the box.

Let me guess, the MP wanted the government to subsidize shrimp farmers?

Low prices benefit consumers, and potentially prevent over-farming/fishing. I know nothing about shrimp farming, but I'm guessing it's not that great for the environment? I understand Thailand exports a lot of shrimp, but Parliament doesn't have much control on global pricing/demand.

11 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

"While 150 Move Forward MPs were present, they did not press the button to certify their presence."

Again, this is pure incompetence on the part of the Speaker. He could call for a roll call voice-vote on "present".

IMO, they should halt all Parliamentary business until the new government if officially installed.

Dumpster fires are more productive than this edition of Thai Parliament.

A brief summary of his calculation follows below:

– Salaries of the House Speaker, Deputy House Speakers divided by 31 days, averages 10,968 baht a day;

– Salaries of MPs, senators and their teams divided by 31 days totals 5,921,129 baht a day;

– Travel expense (real cost refundable);

– Electricity and water expense based on  data from 2020 totals 1,609,848 baht;

– Location expenses calculated on the cost of running a large dining hall for 500 people, parking for 900 vehicles, 12 other rooms, Internet fees and salaries of cleaning staff, car park attendants and security guards.

All this adds up to a loss of 8,291,945 baht each time the House meeting collapses, Sasinan wrote but signed as “The People”,

These look like standing costs, incurred whether or not the MPs turn up. 1.6m a day for water and electricity? 6m a day for salaries? Nothing to do with lack of quorum.

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Why was this not a headline when the last government kept on closing parliament through the lack of a quorum.

It is being touted as if this is something new.

Suddenly the MFP are the bad boys?

I do not think so.

Feb. 2022 & Dec. 2021

"Opposition Pheu Thai MP Julapun Amornvivat told the House that it is the responsibility of the government, not the opposition, to ensure there are enough legislators to make up a quorum in the meeting chamber."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com

As I understand, the new PM wants a way for the House to in effective prevent further failed quorems. That would eliminate what little political power the opposition coalition has in the House.

Might as well then be called a civil coup?

me thinks the new government will have trouble governing... stabbing MF on their back was not a good idea, payback it's coming, revenge tastes much better served cold, PT should have respected Thai people's choice

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Because they didn't attend.

They did attend. They were almost all present. But they didn't "log in" so to speak.  A form of protest. They showed up, unlike their counterparts in government, but refused to make up the quorum while most of the government MPs couldn't be bothered. Serves the stupid lazy smug coalition MPs right. KK made their point effectively and precisely.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

They did attend. They were almost all present. But they didn't "log in" so to speak.  A form of protest. They showed up, unlike their counterparts in government, but refused to make up the quorum while most of the government MPs couldn't be bothered. Serves the stupid lazy smug coalition MPs right. KK made their point effectively and precisely.

Thanks for the clarification bradiston. 

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Those found to be absent should have their salaries docked.

In the  UK  very few MPs  are found in the chamber.   They are all doing other duties to help their costituents  .........     I know that 'cos I have heard some of them say this - so it mut be true.

• Like 1