Poll respondents favour farmer debt moratoria and ฿20 train fare in Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

A 3-year debt moratorium for farmers and a flat rate 20-baht electric train fare in Bangkok and its suburbs are the two most favoured policies of the Pheu Thai party among respondents to a recent opinion poll, conducted by the National Institute for Development Administration (NIDA).

NIDA gauged the opinions, pertaining to the election policies of Pheu Thai party, of 1,310 people with various occupations, incomes and educational backgrounds between August 30th and September 1st.

The poll shows that

90% of the respondents want the electric train fare to be pegged at 20-baht for the entire route;

87.25% want a debt moratorium for farmers for three years;

86.18% want the minimum earning for each household to be 20,000 baht per month;

83.36% want the 10,000-baht “digital wallet” scheme;

80.08% want a 25,000 baht minimum salary for BA graduates before the end of 2027;

78.09% want a 600-baht minimum wage;

70% want a new Constitution to be drafted by the people;

78.17% want each of Bangkok’s 50 districts to have a hospital and 51% want elections of provincial governors to be tried in certain provinces.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/poll-respondents-favour-farmer-debt-moratoria-and-฿20-train-fare-in-bangkok/

-- Thai PBS 2023-09-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

This is always the problem with democracies, when ordinary people can vote themselves a place at the public trough (just like their betters!). But I know this is just about a wish-list poll of what people would like to see.

I'm interested in the second item, a debt moratorium period for "farmers". Because my TGF has a debt with some kind of government land bank for her rather speculative purchase of about 3 acres of farmland several years ago. Is this something anyone in power is seriously talking about? And who qualifies, and how? She might qualify if this were real, since the bank in question seems to view debts (but not ownership) to attach to extended family units, and her family does some small scale farming.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

All I see is want...

Well a 20 baht train fare in Bangkok is quite helpful for the less than 10% of the Thai population that actually use it, but it is of NO use to the 90% of the country who don't use it. 

A 3 year debt moratorium does nothing for the farmers but kick the can down the road for yet another 3 years.

I saw nothing in the poll that asked if those interviewed would be happy to pay an extra 20% or so in taxes to pay for it all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it’s fair to say that nearly any “populist” type policy like these, will get hit levels of layman’s support.

I think the harder question - and the one that’s also NOT asked concurrent with these types of polls, is “how should the government pay for X, Y Z?”

Clearly, few will say “no” to lower train fares, or say “no” to a debt moratorium for farmers… both would have huge popularity… but again, concurrent with that must be the question “and if implemented, the costs for this should be paid for by_____”

I agree that there are some reasonable ways to pay for things like lower train fares … and debt moratoriums.. but again, I think BOTH sides of these questions needs to be presented — not just the “benefit” side, but the corresponding “cost” side as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Another interesting NIDA poll last month was about winning the lottery. A whopping 89.8% of the respondents was in favor of winning the lottery.

What  did the other 10.2% want.-------:w00t:

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I saw nothing in the poll that asked if those interviewed would be happy to pay an extra 20% or so in taxes to pay for it all.

Excellent point...

I've had so many Thais over the years tell me I'm so lucky to be English, and that England is such a great place to live, as we get so many benefits, like a pension, free health care etc etc..

I ask them if they would be happy to hand over to the government over 60% of their salary every month to get all the freebies?

I get the blank look in return.

• Like 2