Electric car fire: Week-old million baht vehicle ignites in Udon Thani mall

webfact

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

The recent EV fires due to the hurricane in Florida now show the cause as salt water or salt water spray.  So perhaps EV’s have an Achilles' Heel…

I would think that would be almost expected, as they were submerged in salt water.  Water (pure) does not conduct electricity, but salt certainly does.  A flooded battery bank, you might as well lay wires across all the terminals, as the salt is quite capable of causing a short.  If not, then corrode the connections, so a future problem may be inevitable.

Nobody claims EVs are waterproof (maybe a couple), especially if submerged.  Or expects owners to allow their cars to get flooded/submerged.

Who expects any car to survive being submerged in salt water for a couple days, or less.  Or last much longer after wards.   

Why I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand car in Krung Thep, as the place simply floods too often.

Do people really need to be told to not let their cars get flooded/submerged, especially EVs, and any electrical appliance?

Definitely scratch those up to user error.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I would think that would be almost expected, as they were submerged in salt water.  Water (pure) does not conduct electricity, but salt certainly does.  A flooded battery bank, you might as well lay wires across all the terminals, as the salt is quite capable of causing a short.  If not, then corrode the connections, so a future problem may be inevitable.

Nobody claims EVs are waterproof (maybe a couple), especially if submerged.  Or expects owners to allow their cars to get flooded/submerged.

Who expects any car to survive being submerged in salt water for a couple days, or less.  Or last much longer after wards.   

Why I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand car in Krung Thep, as the place simply floods too often.

Do people really need to be told to not let their cars get flooded/submerged, especially EVs, and any electrical appliance?

Definitely scratch those up to user error.

In LOS it maybe inevitable one comes across an unexpected "Ford"........????

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's is strange, as I surely have seen several youtubes with submerged EV's to prove that would not be a problem.

You think those youtubes were fake?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BenStark said:

That's is strange, as I surely have seen several youtubes with submerged EV's to prove that would not be a problem.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Nobody claims EVs are waterproof (maybe a couple), especially if submerged. 

10 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So this was a troll post?

If you saw that I already posted, why are you asking ?  I did state 'maybe a couple'.  I've even posted the Fomm One, 'on' water, cruising around a pond, somewhere on AN.

I won't be driving mine through water, or more than 10cm deep, if even that, not matter who says I can.

So your post was a troll post, since already knowing what I said and posted before ... hmm

Why do you bother ?  Do you enjoy getting put on people's ignore list ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BenStark said:

If you need to ask...

Sorry, I was taken aback by your rhetorical question.

Edited by NanLaew

20 hours ago, BenStark said:

Musk says Tesla's can be completely submerged for short periods, generally everything is sealed, but I wouldn't be testing it in salt water.

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Musk says Tesla's can be completely submerged for short periods, generally everything is sealed, but I wouldn't be testing it in salt water.

Yes, salt water is a whole new level of conductivity and corrosion.  And the water part isn't the problem, as pure water, won't conduct electricity.  Salt is the issue.

• 1 month later...