SETV Vientiane Update

What did you submit to the embassy to show how you planned to travel into the country (as part of their requirements shown on their website)?  Because you didn't fly into Thailand, did you just show a bus ticket conformation or something like that?

6 hours ago, SAcanman said:

What did you submit to the embassy to show how you planned to travel into the country (as part of their requirements shown on their website)?  Because you didn't fly into Thailand, did you just show a bus ticket conformation or something like that?

Hi SAcannon, I submitted a print out of a one-way ticket out of Thailand within the 60-day limit as well as a hotel booking in Udon Thani for 3 nights, which I subsequently cancelled. Couldn't cancel the plane ticket but it wasn't much (1250 baht). As I mentioned, I didn't get questioned about any of my history and the 3-day hotel booking seemed to be enough. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, steve0101 said:

I submitted all my stuff in Vientiane last Tuesday and got the visa on the Friday

Normally, unless things have changed again, you would get the passport back with visa on Thursday. Was it your choice to wait until Friday, or was this based on instructions by the embassy?

15 hours ago, steve0101 said:

Hello, all. Quick update. First off, thanks for the responses I got to my original query on getting an SETV in Vientiane. I submitted all my stuff in Vientiane last Tuesday and got the visa on the Friday and then crossed by land back into Thailand. I had been in Thailand on exempts since Dec 2022, and without any actual days spent out of the country (just in and out on the same day – land and air) so was not sure if I would get one issued or I’d be let in, if I did. Anyway, there were no issues or questions. The only thing that happened was the IO that took all my docs on the Tuesday expressed his extreme annoyance that some were creased. Anyway, hope that helps for anyone in the same position. ALso, when I submitted my documents at opening time there on Tuesday, it was really dead. About 10 other people and me, that's it. Was in and out before I knew it. 

Dead at the Thai Embassy, Vientane?!

No more hundreds of people cueing?

Wow this is news!

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

Normally, unless things have changed again, you would get the passport back with visa on Thursday. Was it your choice to wait until Friday, or was this based on instructions by the embassy?

That's what I was thinking. It would be good if we did get that choice because submitting the application and then taking the bus to Vang Vieng for a few days relaxation would be a good option.

On 9/5/2023 at 4:38 AM, BritTim said:

Not anymore. Now it takes 3 days. So if you submitted on a Monday, you pick up on Wednesday. I know it used to be pick up the day after submitting but I guess that has changed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pub2022 said:

Dead at the Thai Embassy, Vientane?!

No more hundreds of people cueing?

Wow this is news!

Yes, very, very quiet. It was a relief when I saw how few people were there. Same when I picked up. That doesn't mean every day is like that though. I heard when I was there that Monday was to be avoided. The receptionist in my hotel told me that, anuyway.

6 hours ago, steve0101 said:

Not anymore. Now it takes 3 days. So if you submitted on a Monday, you pick up on Wednesday. I know it used to be pick up the day after submitting but I guess that has changed. 

I was aware of that. He applied on Tuesday, so I would have expected him to get the passport back Thursday.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

I was aware of that. He applied on Tuesday, so I would have expected him to get the passport back Thursday.

Sorry, I submitted on Wednesday and got it back on Friday. Sorry for confusion.  I got mixed up because I actually arrived in Vientiane on Tuesday but too late to submit

On 9/5/2023 at 9:39 AM, steve0101 said:

Hi SAcannon, I submitted a print out of a one-way ticket out of Thailand within the 60-day limit as well as a hotel booking in Udon Thani for 3 nights, which I subsequently cancelled. Couldn't cancel the plane ticket but it wasn't much (1250 baht). As I mentioned, I didn't get questioned about any of my history and the 3-day hotel booking seemed to be enough. 

Hi Steve.  What did you submit to get into Thailand?  I just did the whole process as well and I am in Thailand now, but I had to submit how I was going to get into Thailand.  So I flew from Luang Prabang into CNX.  I emailed the embassy well before my appointment to see if I could submit a bus reservation to Udon from Vientiane,  but they never replied.  So, I'm just curious what you submitted in case I need to do this again sometime.  Thanks.

On 9/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, steve0101 said:

Makes perfect sense. Not! - Before there were hundreds of people, and the visa was ready for pick-up the next day, but now they need an extra business day, even though there are only one or two dozen applicants... ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SAcanman said:

Hi Steve.  What did you submit to get into Thailand?  I just did the whole process as well and I am in Thailand now, but I had to submit how I was going to get into Thailand.  So I flew from Luang Prabang into CNX.  I emailed the embassy well before my appointment to see if I could submit a bus reservation to Udon from Vientiane,  but they never replied.  So, I'm just curious what you submitted in case I need to do this again sometime.  Thanks.

Hey, they didn't ask me for any proof of travelling back into Thailand. I think they just assumed from my Udon Thani hotel booking that I was crossing by land with a taxi to the border from Vientiane. They didn't ask anyone to provide flights out of Laos when I was there.

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Makes perfect sense. Not! - Before there were hundreds of people, and the visa was ready for pick-up the next day, but now they need an extra business day, even though there are only one or two dozen applicants... ????

Maybe they've changed it so hotels can make more money? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve0101 said:

Maybe they've changed it so hotels can make more money? 

Why would Thailand Embassy staff care about Vientiane hotel occupancy?

But yes, when I think about all the money I spent in other countries because of Thailand's visa shenanigans... Almost 1 million baht that Thailand lost just for me spending money abroad and not in Thailand. Add up tens of thousands of visa runs that expats do, and over time it adds up to billions of baht or so of 'lost' income for Thailand's economy. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, mokwit said:

Somebody described it as 'Woodstock' in the heyday.

About 10 years ago I was at that place and there were Russian girls (hookers) openly drinking big beers at the Vientiane Thai embassy while getting their visas.  It was just a party to them.

I sometimes wonder how Thai embassies work.

You send all the papers online to get a simple evisa at the Paris embassy and it takes them weeks to proceed it.

I remember precovid the tourism visa was very easy in Saigon. But now you need to book an appointment in advance. Don't know how the processing is now but I guess it is still easy if you have the appointment.

Thai embassies in neighbor countries seem way more efficient while dealing with real papers.

Thanks for the report. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2023 at 7:43 AM, steve0101 said:

ALso, when I submitted my documents at opening time there on Tuesday, it was really dead. About 10 other people and me, that's it. Was in and out before I knew it. 

I notice from my appointment email that they've changed the queuing system. You used to be able to turn up any time between 9 and 12 but now you're given a queue number and a time window. So as I'm between numbers 1 and 25, I should be there for the first window (9.00 to 9.30 am). This would explain why there weren't many people around when you showed up at opening time.

Does anyone know if they are strict about these time windows? Will I lose my appointment if I turn up after 9.30?