BYD fire tracking Thailand

Please refrain general EV discussion in this thread, but feel free to post news links and information in the format: Date, Vehicle type, location, fire cause/type.

First BYD fire ???? in Thailand ????????

September 3, 2023, BYD Atto 3, Udonthani, small fire while charging. Note, the fire was not in the main battery pack. Car is most likely salvageable. 

https://blink-drive.com/index.php/2023/09/03/first-byd-atto-3-catches-fire-in-thailand-an-isolated-incident-or-a-wake-up-call/

Total fires as of September 2023: 1

BYD registered as of March 2023: 12,000

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Total fires ... 1

EV fires that didn't involve the battery bank of the EV 

... 1 / ALL

Is there enough bandwidth to start listing all the ICEV fires?  

Apparently ... IMHO ... it happens so often, it's not news worthy.

This will amount to an empty & useless 'database'

9 months in to 2023, and NO FIRES attributed to the battery bank of an EV.

THANKS for pointing out how safe they are ????

One less thing to concern yourself about when owning a BEV ... thank you CH.

"Leaky Fuel System

Usually cited as the most common cause for cars to start fire, leaks in the fuel system are dangerous. A car accident or poor maintenance can lead to a fuel leak, but a leak can also emerge spontaneously as a car ages."

source

Hey, you didn't follow the OP's posting instructions!..."Please refrain...blah, blah, blah..."!

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

At least pointless threads like this take away the tiresome AseanNow posters' chronic Thai-bashing emphasis and redirect it elsewhere, albeit the lame Chinese-bashing is just as 'kin tedious.

This one is really good for a very short lived chuckle, as will die a very fast forum death.   1 unattributed fire to the battery bank in 9 months ...  that's some funny sh!t there.  

The horror of owning and EV ????

• Haha 2

@ExpatOilWorker do hybrids count (I know BYD don't make hybrids)? Do we limit to BYD or can any EV join?

Since more and more manufacturers including BYD and Tesla (for their standard range models) are using the safer LiFePO4 chemistry rather than the earlier and somewhat unstable Li-ion packs, then I expect to see actual battery fires become an (even more) rare event.

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Please refrain general EV discussion in this thread, but feel free to post news links and information in the format: Date, Vehicle type, location, fire cause/type.

September 3, 2023, BYD Atto 3, Udonthani, small fire while charging. Note, the fire was not in the main battery pack. Car is most likely salvageable. 

https://blink-drive.com/index.php/2023/09/03/first-byd-atto-3-catches-fire-in-thailand-an-isolated-incident-or-a-wake-up-call/

please provide information regarding the cause of the fire.  as far as I am aware,

the cause of this incident is still under investigation. however, according to the news reports,

it appears that the main battery may not have been the cause of the fire.

at the moment, you have started with a rather weak case number 1 ...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

It smoked only according to Rever, so we're actually still awaiting the first fire.

Yeah, an electronics "fire" was my first thought too since it was dealt with so easily.

Electronics tends to let out the "magic-smoke" in a nice, showy, manner, loads of acrid smoke, maybe a good bang, then it all peters out. If left alone it very likely would have just stopped all by itself.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Revised BYD fire tracking #s for Thailand

Total fires as of September 2023: 0

So it wasn't even a fire or smoke. ????  The 'mist' you see in the photo, was simply either AC refrigerant, or fire extinguisher spray.

https://www.nationthailand.com/special-edition/ev/40030792

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mine always forgets her cooking, can burn anything.

Now whenever I smell burning, I shout "are you cooking something".

I just ask  ... "What are you burning now ?"

Almost always when steaming or boiling water.  Finally got her to use a timer when boiling eggs.  Aside from that, she a genius in the kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I can see your spelling is inline with your intellect

Spelling is wrong, could you point it out please, Mr. Policeman.........????

P.S. You forgot the "Full Stop".................................................................????

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Spelling is wrong, could you point it out please, Mr. Policeman.........????

P.S. You forgot the "Full Stop".................................................................????

You don't spell "hart" the way you did..

PS Extra full-stop to make up for last post.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

You don't spell "hart" the way you did..

PS Extra full-stop to make up for last post.

Aaaaaah, the missing "E", well done, but I don't understand what that weeeee error has to do with intellect, but if it gave you an EV "point", you are excused.............:clap2:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Aaaaah, an admission to your own underlying thoughts of an EV fire.....????

Thanks for that........................:clap2:

I guess you conveniently missed the rolling eyes & chuckle.

• Like 1