Do you believe in Ghosts?

bob smith

Just now, JayClay said:

Ghosts have never been described as a different species as far as I know.

Maybe you're thinking of aliens?

Maybe and maybe not. To make an assumption you have to believe you have accurate knowledge on which to base your idea. Unfortunately the people of this world are pretty much idiots so talking and making assumptions about such things is probably way outside of out mental capability to consider.

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

Being a christian means you have already agreed to believe in the supernatural so none of this is a great surprise. None of it is true of course, but not a great surprise.

Best answer yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Sorry you can't understand that a scientific theory is still a theory. I don't follow religion. That's a man made thing. You don't need to supply links. I have researched most everything about the big bang theory and what many scientists have said. I believe there is a God. You don't. When we die, we will see. If there is no God, it won't matter to either of us. If there is, you'll be SOL.

They are now starting to think the Big Bang was not the start of the universe. After all if matter can not be created or destroyed, Einstein, then there had to be something before the Big Bang. It is now being considered there must be a multiverse.

Edited by Photoguy21

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The Big Bang happened. We believe God made it happen. Simple. Scientists can't prove their theories are true, and Christians go by faith. When we die, there will either be nothing, or judgement. You believe what others have said, just like I do.

A bit convenient that don't you think? For centuries the universe was created by God and only until Georges Lemaître comes along and in 1930 offers another, very credible alternative does this start to get questioned. It then takes 20 years for the then Pope (Pope Pius XII) to not only accept this but to then say it was God that created the Big Bang. Since it is scientifically proven and you can't now deny it, all christians have now jumped on the bandwagon and now claim it proves God. What hypocricy.

And scientists CAN prove their theories. Gravity is a theory. Biology is a theory. Evolution is a theory. There's the Atomic Theory, the Kinetic Theory of Gases, General Relativity Theory, Special Relativity Theory, the Quantum Field Theory. You just don't understand what a scientific theory is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johnnybangkok said:

James Randi was found to be somewhat less than truthful. Issues like this are similar to the question does life exist elsewhere in the universe? More than likely it does but you cant dismiss it because you have not seen it.

16 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

A bit convenient that don't you think? For centuries the universe was created by God and only until Georges Lemaître comes along and in 1930 offers another, very credible alternative does this start to get questioned. It then takes 20 years for the then Pope (Pope Pius XII) to not only accept this but to then say it was God that created the Big Bang. Since it is scientifically proven and you can't now deny it, all christians have now jumped on the bandwagon and now claim it proves God. What hypocricy.

And scientists CAN prove their theories. Gravity is a theory. Biology is a theory. Evolution is a theory. There's the Atomic Theory, the Kinetic Theory of Gases, General Relativity Theory, Special Relativity Theory, the Quantum Field Theory. You just don't understand what a scientific theory is.

Assuming again, which again, shows ignorance. You don't know what I nor anyone else alive knows. I know what a scientific theory is, and I don't have to google like some here do to try and prove their point. It's a very substantiated explanation of our world and universe based on facts gained by experimentation and observation. Christians believe in scientists, as I have all my life. They have explained a lot over the years to people by experimentation. Doesn't mean they are always right. Doesn't mean there isn't a God. Many of them believe there is one. I knew the universe was created by some kind of "bang" since I was a young lad, and loved science in school, but still to this day believe it was God's work. No one has proved that God didn't create the universe and everything in it. I believe, atheists don't. We all will see when we pass what's the truth. And this is about ghosts, which I've said I believe in, and have seen things no one could explain away.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

James Randi was found to be somewhat less than truthful. Issues like this are similar to the question does life exist elsewhere in the universe? More than likely it does but you cant dismiss it because you have not seen it.

For 50 years the guy offered $1 million (in the days when $1 million was a HUGE amount) to prove ANY supernatural occurrence and not one single person (including those that supposedly talked to dead people and had ghosts in their house) could cut the mustard. You don’t think if it was true that at least one person could prove it? You’ve seen all those ghost hunter programs on TV yeah? Do they ever find a ghost? Of course not because they don’t exist. 
And it’s a completely different question to “does life exist elsewhere in the universe “. Statistically it’s a high probability that life does, but since it hasn’t been proven, the jury is out. The jury have decided on ghosts and said they definitely DONT exist. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Assuming again, which again, shows ignorance. You don't know what I nor anyone else alive knows. I know what a scientific theory is, and I don't have to google like some here do to try and prove their point. It's a very substantiated explanation of our world and universe based on facts gained by experimentation and observation. Christians believe in scientists, as I have all my life. They have explained a lot over the years to people by experimentation. Doesn't mean they are always right. Doesn't mean there isn't a God. Many of them believe there is one. I knew the universe was created by some kind of "bang" since I was a young lad, and loved science in school, but still to this day believe it was God's work. No one has proved that God didn't create the universe and everything in it. I believe, atheists don't. We all will see when we pass what's the truth. And this is about ghosts, which I've said I believe in, and have seen things no one could explain away.

Ahh the old 'you don't know what you don't know argument so therefore it's possible'.

You believe the Big Bang theory was God because you were told it was God and it nicely fits into the christian narrative. If you were born any time before 1950 you would have dismissed it out of hand because religion has been denying science for centuries and insisted God created the world in 7 days. Evolution is also another good example of this. Religion had been denying evolution for over 100 years (because, you know Adam and Eve) until again in 1950, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is 'no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that God created all things and that the individual soul is a direct creation by God'. In other words, an acceptance but with religous caveats. 

There is no assumptions in my thoughts to you and certainly no 'ignorance'. You have faith and that seems to be enough for you but please don't try and explain your belief in the supernatural as anything that I don't understand. I understand EXACTLY why you are religous and it has nothing to do with facts and everything to do with upbringing, environment and indoctrination.  

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

For 50 years the guy offered $1 million (in the days when $1 million was a HUGE amount) to prove ANY supernatural occurrence and not one single person (including those that supposedly talked to dead people and had ghosts in their house) could cut the mustard. You don’t think if it was true that at least one person could prove it? You’ve seen all those ghost hunter programs on TV yeah? Do they ever find a ghost? Of course not because they don’t exist. 
And it’s a completely different question to “does life exist elsewhere in the universe “. Statistically it’s a high probability that life does, but since it hasn’t been proven, the jury is out. The jury have decided on ghosts and said they definitely DONT exist. 

They haven't proven they don't exist. They just don't have any proof yet they do. How do you prove a spirit exists? People have said they've seen them. Maybe they have. What I saw a few times cannot be explained by anything anyone has ever said. I know what I saw, many times, and I'm not one to make up stories because there is no point. Many people do things to get attention or fame. I couldn't care less what others believe. If I see something, like an alien or a ghost, I saw it, and will tell others. If they don't believe me, who cares? Things on shelves can't move by themselves. A knife in a plastic case can't sway back and forth under it's own power, side to side, over 3 inches both ways.

8 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Ahh the old 'you don't know what you don't know argument so therefore it's possible'.

You believe the Big Bang theory was God because you were told it was God and it nicely fits into the christian narrative. If you were born any time before 1950 you would have dismissed it out of hand because religion has been denying science for centuries and insisted God created the world in 7 days. Evolution is also another good example of this. Religion had been denying evolution for over 100 years (because, you know Adam and Eve) until again in 1950, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is 'no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that God created all things and that the individual soul is a direct creation by God'. In other words, an acceptance but with religous caveats. 

There is no assumptions in my thoughts to you and certainly no 'ignorance'. You have faith and that seems to be enough for you but please don't try and explain your belief in the supernatural as anything that I don't understand. I understand EXACTLY why you are religous and it has nothing to do with facts and everything to do with upbringing, environment and indoctrination.  

I believe anything that has happened as far as the creation was done by God. No one has to tell me anything. Again, you assume. I'm not "religious" in my belief. I am a Christian, believing in God and Jesus as his son. I was taught Catholicism when I was in grade school, and my parents were also Catholic. I got away from religion soon after I entered high school. From that point on, I believe in God and Jesus Christ as my savior. Simple. I doubted we all came from Adam and Eve a long time ago, as there are proof of early man before they were supposed to have come along. God created everything, so who's to say what he can or cannot do, if you believe? There are many different races. DNA has proven we have more than just one or two nationalities in us. Did God make more than just Adam and Eve, and their offspring? I think yes. Was there a Noah's ark? Maybe, maybe not. If you can make a universe out of your mind, no reason to believe in other things that have happened. Some think there is no creator because how could a loving God make diseases? Let children die at 2? Let narcissistic leaders commit genocide? That's free will. We can do whatever we want, but will pay eventually. If we live to 100, it's nothing compared to forever. This is why I believe, not because I've been "brainwashed".

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Who is WE please? I certainly do not.

God's followers believe. Atheists , those that have lost something and blame God , and hate that he exists, or how could he exist if he lets things bad happen. People who were raised by non believers, who maybe abused them and said if you're not good, God sees all. Skeptics who just can't bring themselves to believe in a creator because some scientists say otherwise. Like I and others have said for years. You do what you want, and you'll see when you leave this world.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I believe anything that has happened as far as the creation was done by God. No one has to tell me anything. Again, you assume. I'm not "religious" in my belief. I am a Christian, believing in God and Jesus as his son. I was taught Catholicism when I was in grade school, and my parents were also Catholic. I got away from religion soon after I entered high school. From that point on, I believe in God and Jesus Christ as my savior. Simple. I doubted we all came from Adam and Eve a long time ago, as there are proof of early man before they were supposed to have come along. God created everything, so who's to say what he can or cannot do, if you believe? There are many different races. DNA has proven we have more than just one or two nationalities in us. Did God make more than just Adam and Eve, and their offspring? I think yes. Was there a Noah's ark? Maybe, maybe not. If you can make a universe out of your mind, no reason to believe in other things that have happened. Some think there is no creator because how could a loving God make diseases? Let children die at 2? Let narcissistic leaders commit genocide? That's free will. We can do whatever we want, but will pay eventually. If we live to 100, it's nothing compared to forever. This is why I believe, not because I've been "brainwashed".

You were 'taught Catholicism when I was in grade school, and my parents were also Catholic' but you're not 'brainwashed'. Do you not see the contradiction there?

My mother was catholic and my father was protestant (much to the chagrin of the local priest) so I know first hand the indoctrination of the Catholic church. You may not think you've been brainwashed, but you have been as is evident in you belief in a certain "God" and not one of the many hundreds that exist in the world today. Your faith is based on environment, close influences and geography. If you were born in India or Japan or Thailand you would have a very different view of all the things you have mentioned. None of it will be based on facts, evidence or science because religion only adopts what helps it convince the masses. That's the very definaition of indoctrination. 

But hey, you do you and if it gives you comfort then fill your boots. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, johnnybangkok said:

You were 'taught Catholicism when I was in grade school, and my parents were also Catholic' but you're not 'brainwashed'. Do you not see the contradiction there?

My mother was catholic and my father was protestant (much to the chagrin of the local priest) so I know first hand the indoctrination of the Catholic church. You may not think you've been brainwashed, but you have been as is evident in you belief in a certain "God" and not one of the many hundreds that exist in the world today. Your faith is based on environment, close influences and geography. If you were born in India or Japan or Thailand you would have a very different view of all the things you have mentioned. None of it will be based on facts, evidence or science because religion only adopts what helps it convince the masses. That's the very definaition of indoctrination. 

But hey, you do you and if it gives you comfort then fill your boots. 

Brainwashed means you're pressured into believing something. My parents didn't force anything and knew I had my own mind. Just like children here are taught from an early age that a man is somehow divine, when he isn't, they have their own minds, and when they get older and are subjected to other beliefs, they can make their own minds up. Just like i did. You're saying there are hundreds of gods sounds like Greek mythology. If there were in fact even two gods, there would surely be evidence because they would be competing for power. God doesn't need to compete because there isn't any, besides false beliefs in these other gods. He lets us use our own free will to decide what is right or wrong. When we die, we'll know if we made the right choice. I'm not playing with fire.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

God's followers believe. Atheists , those that have lost something and blame God , and hate that he exists, or how could he exist if he lets things bad happen. People who were raised by non believers, who maybe abused them and said if you're not good, God sees all. Skeptics who just can't bring themselves to believe in a creator because some scientists say otherwise. Like I and others have said for years. You do what you want, and you'll see when you leave this world.

It's sanctimoniuos rubbish like this that dilutes the very little argument you have. 

You can't hate something you don't believe exists and we are not 'abused' and we're not atheists because 'some scientists' tell us to be. We've just looked at the evidence, done our research and come up with the conclusion it's all man-made from a time when it was hard to explain where the sun went at night.  

19 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Thanks for this. When I pop me clogs and go up there, I shall send a post down to you here on Asean Now to let you know whether you are right or wrong.

I sort of believe there is a god of some sort, but all that BS about the guy in Nazareth 2000 odd years ago just does not matter to me, all this saying that Jesus died for my sins.....I wasn't even there.

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Brainwashed means you're pressured into believing something. My parents didn't force anything and knew I had my own mind. Just like children here are taught from an early age that a man is somehow divine, when he isn't, they have their own minds, and when they get older and are subjected to other beliefs, they can make their own minds up. Just like i did. You're saying there are hundreds of gods sounds like Greek mythology. If there were in fact even two gods, there would surely be evidence because they would be competing for power. God doesn't need to compete because there isn't any, besides false beliefs in these other gods. He lets us use our own free will to decide what is right or wrong. When we die, we'll know if we made the right choice. I'm not playing with fire.

Yeah, always a good idea to hedge your bets.

And 'children here are taught from an early age that a man is somehow divine, when he isn't', what like Jesus? See, you can't even tolerate another religions and have to belittle them because YOURS is the only true religion.

And finally (and it is finally for me), there have been more than 18,000 'Gods' worshiped throughout mans existence, of which some 3,000 are still worshiped today (including yours).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-brain-food/202107/why-do-humans-keep-inventing-gods-worship

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

And 'children here are taught from an early age that a man is somehow divine, when he isn't', what like Jesus? See, you can't even tolerate another religions and have to belittle them because YOURS is the only true religion.

And finally (and it is finally for me), there have been more than 18,000 'Gods' worshiped throughout mans existence, of which some 3,000 are still worshiped today (including yours).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-brain-food/202107/why-do-humans-keep-inventing-gods-worship

Totally correct Johnny.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

People who were raised by non believers, who maybe abused them and said if you're not good, God sees all

Hey Wiggy, it was/is the representatives of your so called God who did a lot of the abusing.

And as for 'the other lot' beginning with M, they were far worse.

So what's your take on Islam please?

Edited by KannikaP

8 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

It's sanctimoniuos rubbish like this that dilutes the very little argument you have. 

You can't hate something you don't believe exists and we are not 'abused' and we're not atheists because 'some scientists' tell us to be. We've just looked at the evidence, done our research and come up with the conclusion it's all man-made from a time when it was hard to explain where the sun went at night.  

I put the three together. Those that don't believe because they were taught not to. Those that can't believe a God would allow evil to run rampant. And those that are skeptics because science had led them to believe otherwise. They are believing in other people, and have no faith in God's creation. 31% of people worldwide are Christians, 25% Islamic, Hindus 15%, 6% Buddhists, and Atheists and Agnostics 15%. The other smaller religions account for the remainder. I don't have a little argument. Believers in God far outweigh the rest. There are reasons for that, and it's not all "brainwashing". Again, believe what you need to. You'll find out eventually what's right. By then you might look back and say, "I should have listened to sense and not science".

13 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

The difference here is that Buddha came from his parents, and Jesus is God's son. People keep inventing gods because they  are always looking for what they can see, and not believe by faith. I'm not belittling anyone, so I don't know where you get this from. I respect all other's beliefs, and it's my job as a Christian to spread the word. I can't force them to believe and wouldn't anyway. That's their own free will.

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Hey Wiggy, it was/is the representatives of your so called God who did a lot of the abusing.

And as for 'the other lot' beginning with M, they were far worse.

So what's your take on Islam please?

Islamics believe in God. And those that use God as an abusive tool aren't doing what God wants. That is why a lot turn away. Abuse in any form only puts people off.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Islamics believe in God. And those that use God as an abusive tool aren't doing what God wants. That is why a lot turn away. Abuse in any form only puts people off.

And if a Muslim want to change allegiance to the other one, they are supposed to be killed.

There again, what is the first of the Ten Commandments? Which are not 'Christian' because JC wasn't born until centuries later.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And if a Muslim want to change allegiance to the other one, they are supposed to be killed.

There again, what is the first of the Ten Commandments? Which are not 'Christian' because JC wasn't born until centuries later.

I am the Lord God, thou shall not put other gods before me.

• Haha 1

why do people have to bring up God in this thread?

if you make the topic too generalized, it will just lead to confusion and go nowhere.  

so now I will chime in with my ghost story.

I stayed at a very very old building in the UK that was once used as an army barracks and there was a cemetary next to it. I did not sleep that night. There were ghosts in that place. I could feel a "wind" in the room and something touching me while I slept. 

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a good film based on a true story. 

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I am the Lord God, thou shall not put other gods before me.

When I was 'taught' to believe this BS, it was 'I am the Lod, Thy God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery, Thou shalt have no other Gods beside me'.

I stopped believing in this when I realised that I had never been a Slave in Egypt. 

Come on, it's 2023.

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I could feel a "wind" in the room and something touching me while I slept. 

So you were kipping with some woman you picked up after an Indian curry and ten pints of Kingfisher?  555

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

When I was 'taught' to believe this BS, it was 'I am the Lod, Thy God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery, Thou shalt have no other Gods beside me'.

I stopped believing in this when I realised that I had never been a Slave in Egypt. 

Come on, it's 2023.

That's a long time ago. People are still slaves to wrong thinking now.