Advice on military reform offered to Thailand’s new Defence Minister

webfact

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said the issue at stake is not the method of enlistment, but is about the abuse of the conscripts

No, it isn't. 

Yes, abusing conscripts seems like something a senior military official should know is wrong, but they don't apparently. 

The issue is the method of, well I don't think calling mandatory service based on the color of the ball is "enlistment".

But a major part of Military Reforms is moving towards a voluntary military, along with smaller budget, smaller top-heavy command structure and more reasonable procurements.

Look, the people need to demand a change in mission for the Thai military. That change means moving away from defending the few against the many Thai citizens. The Thai military seems to be ~ 95% focused on maintaining the status quo. ISOC alone has ~ 6,000 (I bet that number is a lot higher) staff monitoring "Internal Security".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Former election commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn has offered some advice to Defence Minister Sutin Klungsang regarding military reform, suggesting that he should not follow everything told to him by the military’s top brass,

Sutin should be able to make decisions as defense minister or resign his post.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Sutin should be able to make decisions as defense minister or resign his post.

Making decisions and anything changing in the real world are 2 different things.

If nothing changes when the Minister issues an order, where does the responsibility lie? With the Minister who's ignored? or with those who ignore him?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

No, it isn't. 

Yes, abusing conscripts seems like something a senior military official should know is wrong, but they don't apparently. 

The issue is the method of, well I don't think calling mandatory service based on the color of the ball is "enlistment".

But a major part of Military Reforms is moving towards a voluntary military, along with smaller budget, smaller top-heavy command structure and more reasonable procurements.

Look, the people need to demand a change in mission for the Thai military. That change means moving away from defending the few against the many Thai citizens. The Thai military seems to be ~ 95% focused on maintaining the status quo. ISOC alone has ~ 6,000 (I bet that number is a lot higher) staff monitoring "Internal Security".

I totally disagree with a volunteer military as it will turn out to be mercenary force just like the US military which has turned into a total failure.  Thailand should follow the lead of Switzerland and have every eligible person perform military service in support of the country.  Abusing conscripts, making them into "slaves" for senior officers needs to be stopped immediately. JMHO 

Edited by fdimike

5 minutes ago, fdimike said:

I totally disagree with a volunteer military

I don't disagree with 100% compulsory NATIONAL (not limited to military) service in general, this is used in many countries. However that wasn't one of the options offered here for eliminated conscription. An all-volunteer force is the only alternative I've seen offered.

First you have to define the mission(s). Then you can determine staffing. 

100% compulsory service here, IMO, would be a bad thing. It would make the already un-checked military power and influence over Thai society even more oppressive. One major issue here is that a few hundred thousand potential "recruits" are serving prison sentence for drug-related crimes, so the available pool is reduced.

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin has a good quote regarding the make-up of a successful team...

We can’t do this with hostages, man. We need volunteers,

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Making decisions and anything changing in the real world are 2 different things.

If nothing changes when the Minister issues an order, where does the responsibility lie? With the Minister who's ignored? or with those who ignore him?

Both

For military reform to really take hold, the armed forces would first need to lose face bigtime (for example: excessive use of force against civilians -- 2010 is now too long ago) and the institution would have to side with the public. Until then, we're going to see a lot of talk and little action. Whatever changes there are will be window-dressing and will certainly not cut into the flow of funds to pockets.

Edited by Flory