E-Visa - Accepted Proof Of Current Residency?

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are completely wrong.

People can apply for an e-visa in any of the countries on the e-visa platform if they have a legal right to be there on a long term basis. Passports grant the right of abode so perfectly acceptable in the country of issue.

In other countries you would require valid long term immigration status, tourist visas  are not acceptable.

This is how it is worded on the HK e-visa website

• Confirmation of legal residence, in the context of the Hong Kong SAR, generally refers to (a) Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (“A” HKID); (b) Hong Kong Identity Card indicating right to land (“R” HKID) or unconditional stay permit (“U” HKID); or (c) valid stay permit issued by Hong Kong Immigration (for “C” HKID holders).

None of this has anything to do with a passport or whats being debated so you failed again 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I did not claim anything but obviously context is not your strong point.

As a reminder, this is what I said

"For an application in the UK, a UK passport proves the right to legal residence "

You need to brush up on legal definitions and where you get them and how you read them. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Since you continue your misleading comments on this, perhaps I had better give you a link to a good explanation of "right of abode" and its implications for immigration purposes. Try looking at UK Right of Abode.

To recap what I said before (which you found confusing)

1. To apply for an e-visa, you need to be a resident of the country where you are applying. In this context, "resident" means that you have "right of abode". A passport is sufficient to prove this when applying in home country. Otherwise, you need to be able to show some other proof.
  2. In addition to having residency status (right of abode) you also should be physically present in the country at the time of your application.  Previously, before the current e-visa system, this was easier to verify. Now, you are receiving your visa via email, the embassy will tend to just trust you unless they have good reason to doubt you are in country.

Your beating a dead horse and I'm not misquoting, you are.  I'm done with you and your distortion on this.  Good bye

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2023 at 9:20 PM, degodasilva said:

Hi

I’m planning to apply for a multiple entry tourist visa and one of the required uploads is: ‘Document indicating current residency’. 

As no examples are given on the E-Visa website I’m hoping someone can tell me what will be accepted to meet this requirement (U.K. citizen). 

Many thanks for any suggestions.

From the information you have given in your post we know that you are a UK citizen. The answer to your question depends on the following:

1. At the Thai embassy in what country do you plan to apply for the visa?

2. On the date of your application, will you be residing in the UK/Ireland/UK Territories?

3. Will the booking reservation for your trip to Thailand show that the trip starts in the UK/Ireland/UK Territories?

On 9/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, Maestro said:

From the information you have given in your post we know that you are a UK citizen. The answer to your question depends on the following:

1. At the Thai embassy in what country do you plan to apply for the visa?

2. On the date of your application, will you be residing in the UK/Ireland/UK Territories?

3. Will the booking reservation for your trip to Thailand show that the trip starts in the UK/Ireland/UK Territories?

1. Royal Thai Embassy, London, U.K.

2. Yes, residing in the U.K.

3. Yes, flying London-Bangkok (via Abu Dhabi).

So as suggested previously, I will simply upload the biodata page of my passport, and if there are any issues with this part of the application I'll be back here to let you all know. 

One thing I think we can all agree on is that this whole process could certainly be smoother. But hey, that's Thai bureaucracy for you.

Thanks to all.

• Thumbs Up 1