Who lives in a studio ?

georgegeorgia

34 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Different strokes. I was living in a 148 sq mtr on the water in Na Jomtien. Initially I was thrilled, but keeping it clean was more bother than my lazy butt wanted to do....

Had the same problem, so bought one of these.

Screenshot_20230907-153641_Chrome.jpg.f66fd148d170adb5ab7ba03253c195fd.jpg

Created a schedule so living room cleaned first thing in the morning before I get up. Simples.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

OK, I'll be first.

I do live in a "shoebox"; with my girlfriend; on a condo complex with about 2000 units and have done for almost 7 years. It is not my ideal but before moving in I saw many places in my budget far worse than where I am now. I am by no means the only farang here, many have been here longer than I have so must like it as I do.

I have a gym and pool (included in my rent of 7000 Baht per month), a library, a launderette, an onsite 7/11 open 24/7 and nice landscaped gardens to relax in. 

I am way better off financially and emotionally than I would be back in the UK. After visiting here twice a year for many years it was my dream to move here in retirement. I am now living my dream. In a couple of years I will be eligible for my UK state pension which will be a life changing amount of money for me. I will look to upscale my condo but am happy to stay on the same complex which is clean, safe, quiet, well maintained and on a baht bus route.

I have easy access to shopping malls, countless bars, cafes and restaurants. Four cinema complexes are nearby.

The only time I have felt closed in and cramped for room was during the strictest part of the Covid lockdown when me and the girlfriend got under each others feet and skin. That was for about a month or so. My girlfriend has her own business so we don't normally live in each others pockets.

As for cooking, I have a slow cooker, toaster, microwave, a hot plate and a halogen oven/grill. I would like more room to expand my culinary repertoire but I get by just fine for now.

I appreciate that many could not or will not live in such a small condo unit. It is fine for me, so I am not going to get into an argument or discuss my life story with anybody. My choices affect me and my girlfriend, not other posters on here.

You already did discuss your life story. Thanks for sharing ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think balconies, and also swimming pools, are overrated.

Everybody wants one. But then most people never use the balcony and never use the swimming pool. 

Why? I don't know. But it's reality. 

That’s just crazy. Without a balcony, you live in a shoe box. My balcony doors are rarely closed. It’s an extension of my living space and at 15 square metres would be a waste to not use it. It also has an East/West aspect, so I can watch the sunrise and sunset from the same place.

I’ve rarely  eaten a meal inside the apartment. Usually on the balcony. 
Didn’t have COVID claustrophobia, since I was mostly outside, even when at home. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

have two 36 sq mtr rooms in the same building across the hall from each other.

How convenient. This is exactly what I would do as it lets you always live in a unit on the shade side. The building would of course need to have a north and south side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Different strokes. I was living in a 148 sq mtr on the water in Na Jomtien. Initially I was thrilled, but keeping it clean was more bother than my lazy butt wanted to do. I moved to Chanthaburi for work and have two 36 sq mtr rooms in the same building across the hall from each other. I live in one and store my "stuff" in the other, and it suits me just fine.

And that is all that is important. As long as it works for you, means absolutely nothing what I think or prefer. Contentment is a beautiful thing.

• Like 2

As a long term marrieds, I love having a large one bedroom corner unit so we can get away from each other. Two rooms, about 55 sqm per room.

We also have a wrap-around terrace for bong hits., but like most Thai balconies, you'd be hard pressed to fit a sun bed out there. At this life stage, I'd still want a lot of space even if I was single. Like SpiderMike said, space around you is the ultimate luxury.

We were in a 60 sqm one bedroom for 20K a month in The Nimmana, a very plush condo with all the trappings. Now we're in concrete oldie down a quiet soi for double the space for 25K a month. For Nimman, that's a good a deal.

9 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

As a long term marrieds, I love having a large one bedroom corner unit so we can get away from each other. Two rooms, about 55 sqm per room.

We also have a wrap-around terrace for bong hits., but like most Thai balconies, you'd be hard pressed to fit a sun bed out there. At this life stage, I'd still want a lot of space even if I was single. Like SpiderMike said, space around you is the ultimate luxury.

We were in a 60 sqm one bedroom for 20K a month in The Nimmana, a very plush condo with all the trappings. Now we're in concrete oldie down a quiet soi for double the space for 25K a month. For Nimman, that's a good a deal.

ah so not a studio, off topic

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NextG said:

That’s just crazy. Without a balcony, you live in a shoe box. My balcony doors are rarely closed. It’s an extension of my living space and at 15 square metres would be a waste to not use it. It also has an East/West aspect, so I can watch the sunrise and sunset from the same place.

I’ve rarely  eaten a meal inside the apartment. Usually on the balcony. 
Didn’t have COVID claustrophobia, since I was mostly outside, even when at home. 

Great for you. And I am sure there are people who are regularly on their balconies.

But there are also many who rented a bough a place with a balcony and then "never" used it.

My studio did not have a balcony, my new place, to be moved in soon, has one. Let's see how often I will use it.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Great for you. And I am sure there are people who are regularly on their balconies.

But there are also many who rented a bough a place with a balcony and then "never" used it.

My studio did not have a balcony, my new place, to be moved in soon, has one. Let's see how often I will use it.

It depends on whether you intend to utilise it in the first place. Of course having beachfront/sea view location is an incentive. If it polluted and humid outside, one might be tempted to close the doors and to turn on the air conditioning. But I choose places where I could live naturally without air conditioning. I haven’t turned them on even once, in years. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Balconies are dirty and dusty. Id rather sit inside.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

34 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Id want to live in another unit than share with a 70yo woman.

• Confused 1