Thaksin's Family Refutes Fake News; Misleading Post Sparks Outrage

webfact

18 hours ago, connda said:

Over the last 8 years I've found that a lot of things labelled "Fake News" ultimately ends up to be factual.  When that happens, it immediately gets "memory holed" by those squawking about "Fake News."

And yet none of it affects your life in any way. People are obsessed with celebs and it is an illness.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

Well of course he is! Or in a penthouse suite at the hospital.

And he'll never step foot in prison again. I mean that 6 hour sentence must have been hell for him!

“Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree. Cos this boy's coming home to his ladies. Coming home forever."

I am relatively new to this forum and to Thailand (4 years). Can someone please post some links to the history of this man and why he is so vilified. I understand he was elected then deposed by a coup and he implemented the Thai healthcare system in use today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobU said:

I am relatively new to this forum and to Thailand (4 years). Can someone please post some links to the history of this man and why he is so vilified. I understand he was elected then deposed by a coup and he implemented the Thai healthcare system in use today.

Here is a link from Wikipedia for starters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

If you root around the searches you will find many other links both for and against Thaksin.

As an alternative you can do a search on ANN/TVF for him on this forum.

Before you start make a coffee and get some snacks asyo be a long while.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Here is a link from Wikipedia for starters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

If you root around the searches you will find many other links both for and against Thaksin.

As an alternative you can do a search on ANN/TVF for him on this forum.

Before you start make a coffee and get some snacks asyo be a long while.

Thanks Billd766 I will settle down for the long haul it sounds very complicated and highly political

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobU said:

Thanks Billd766 I will settle down for the long haul it sounds very complicated and highly political

It goes back to the 1980s and has more twist and turns than the road from Tak to Mae Sot.

There are probably as many positive links and negative links

What some posters claim as the truth, others claim as lies.

It is a bit like a UK pantomime with shouts of "Oh no it isn't and Oh yes it is".

He has or hasn't got millions of supporters depending on what and who you read.

If I were a gambling man I would put money on you being bored fairly quickly and dumping the threads into the trash bin.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, RobU said:

Bear in mind, it's easy to change the narrative /truth, for and against in Wiki - take it all as a guideline only. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It goes back to the 1980s and has more twist and turns than the road from Tak to Mae Sot.

There are probably as many positive links and negative links

What some posters claim as the truth, others claim as lies.

It is a bit like a UK pantomime with shouts of "Oh no it isn't and Oh yes it is".

He has or hasn't got millions of supporters depending on what and who you read.

If I were a gambling man I would put money on you being bored fairly quickly and dumping the threads into the trash bin.

35 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Bear in mind, it's easy to change the narrative /truth, for and against in Wiki - take it all as a guideline only. 

Phew! you are right it is complicated, but the visible facts seem to be that he did good for the lower and poorer classes of Thailand. The cases of financial corruption seem to be very complex and his gains could have set him and his family as the richest (Cash Rich) dynasty Thailand ever had, which is a definite challenge to certain quarters and had to be suppressed. Hated by the wealthy (perhaps because he wanted to tax them more) and loved by the poor (because he would spend the taxes on them). Managed the country to good business principles and brooked no dissent to the point of autocracy but respected by businesses without 'influence'.

I have noticed a trend over the years where any non European or Nordic country which tries to set up universal healthcare (as he appears to have attempted) tends to have a military coup or increased 'Rebel' activity no matter whether the government is left or right. Healthcare is a multi trillion dollar industry and universal healthcare worldwide could impact severely on those profits. 'Illegal' drugs another trillion dollar industry whose profits would fall. Terrorists are actually death cults backed by the wealthy of some middle eastern countries trying to expand world influence perhaps the army intervened because they preferred a nice easy life and wanted to cut back on the war against terrorism so it becomes a reason for bigger financial support without actually having too much hassle. (My opinion and I would appreciate it if the Trolls that seem to pervade this forum would cut back on their insults and derision)

• Thumbs Up 1

What we can see in the photograph is a bottle of Maggi sauce on the top shelf, essential for Thais to eat fried eggs, on the right and what looks like a jar of jam on the left.  There is a sink with washing up liquid and a small filing cabinet for documents. Thaksin would not normally live in a bed sitting room and it looks too Spartan to be the sort of hotel room or bed sitting room he would normally stay in. So most likely it is his VIP room in the police hospital with his favorite sources and jams supplied (just like any other prisoner of course) and a filing cabinet brought in, so he can organise incoming classified government documents and instruct Srettha how to deal with them, while other prisoners are denied newspapers.  Have Thaksin's youngest grandchildren or someone else's very young children been visiting him in overseas hospitals of a someone Spartan looking nature where he has to bring in his own sauces and jams.  Yes, possible but extremely unlikely.  Therefore the most likely conclusion is that it was taken in the police hospital but the family has falsified the date to make it look it took place some time ago.  Not surprising. The Shin clan is now very comfortable getting into bed with dictators but they have never been comfortable with the truth.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 12:31 AM, ikke1959 said:

You can see the inside of a hospital on the picture.... Was he on 10 april 2022 also in the hospital???

I'm trying hard to figure out what part of the image makes it look like it is part of a hospital. Can @ikke1959 or anyone else help me?

• Like 1

The Google translation of the Thai text in the image in the OP labelled FAKE NEWS is as follows:

Prasit

1 hr. - 3

Police Hospital

and the department o Coorrections

will answer social questions

In this case, how?

Sanook.png.0d0b4bdbccc5946693b9899e647bc312.png

So, the accusation of fake news seems to be that whereas the photo is genuine, the post on the Sanook social media site falsely says or implicates that is was taken at the Police Hospital.

Edited by Puccini

On 9/8/2023 at 1:19 PM, Ironmike said:

He needs to be locked up as anyone else would be for the crimes he has committed,, no special treatment at all

What crimes are those? Could you list them, please, and not the tired old tat spouted on here or by the army?

Genuinely interested. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1