Thai food’s bold blend of flavours: A culinary delight with a fatal bite

webfact

17 hours ago, kwilco said:

Not a bacteria...its a parasite...liver fluke. 

This has been known about fit decades and linked to liver cancer.

The problem is its a bit like smoking.... people know its harmful but the damage is over a long period and incremental..so there is a temptation to continue.

They sell Ivermectin over the counter in Thailand, that's supposed to be excellent in killing river parasites 

52 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

They sell Ivermectin over the counter in Thailand, that's supposed to be excellent in killing river parasites 

Both work best against the adult flukes, but there is some effect on the migrating juvenile flukes. Clorsulon is effective only against liver flukes and it is sold alone as Curatrem® or in combination with ivermectin as Ivomec® Plus.

Used by vets in Europe

14 hours ago, Aviatorhi said:

It's going to depend on the country. In Japan you can (literally) safely eat raw chicken. Their food hygiene and controls are that high. In Thailand, not as much. 

Perhaps not at all.... fish from the Mekong or some stagnant waters, or the seawaters off Pattaya .... anyhow, topic isn't about Japan....

7 hours ago, eastlight said:

Why don't they just cook it and solve the problem.

Some raw item dishes are quite delicious, in the west we have steak tartar and pickled items.... I have been offered raw pork in Thailand and told it is safe as the pig was squealing it's head off moments earlier! I nevertheless avoid raw things and undercooked items as best I can... 

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Sorry to break it to you, but I did not say all Thais. It´s a fact, that Isaan, are the most poor and uneducated region in Thailand. So, now you know that too.

So what? It’s still an over-generalization, it’s still stereotyping and you utterly missed my point, which was, people all over the globe from all races make stupid decisions on a daily basis. It’s not just an occurrence in Thailand or the Isaan for that matter! 

And by the way, there’s nothing you can tell me about Thailand that I don’t already know myself. 

17 hours ago, arick said:

Take deworming pills every year. You need to take 3 in a go.  

Apparently the flux can be so big it causes blockages after you take deworming pills. ''Albemed''.

There are different deworming anti- parasitic medicines depending what province you live in parasites can differ between areas and provinces. 

1 minute ago, Jimjim1 said:

You are correct but they will not display or sell the whole head,

Sure they were available many years ago, or was that sheeps' heads? My mother would ask them to leave the eyes in to see her through the week!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

So what? It’s still an over-generalization, it’s still stereotyping and you utterly missed my point, which was, people all over the globe from all races make stupid decisions on a daily basis. It’s not just an occurrence in Thailand or the Isaan for that matter! 

And by the way, there’s nothing you can tell me about Thailand that I don’t already know myself. 

Ok, please point out, when I posted it was an isolated thing that only occurs in Thailand? This is a forum that concentrate on Thailand, and that is simply why I focus on that in my posts and replies.

I don´t think I need to start with telling you about Thailand. We have to go more basic before that. For example, you seem to find information in posts that I have not written, as dealt with above.

20 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, it kills 20000 people a year in an area that has how many millions of inhabitants who eat that dish regularly? 

I wouldn't eat it, but I guess smoking and drinking kills a lot more people every year. 

20,000 deaths a year isn't really a lot anyway. And it is mainly the stubborn elderly who succumb to this disease as mentioned in the article. 

'.....he encounters resistance from the older generation. Dr. Khuntikeo laments…

“They’ll say: ‘Oh well, there are many ways to die'. (which is true of course)

My wife loves koi pla and is not afraid to eat it, but she is well aware of the problem and she and her relatives are tested regularly at the local hospital. So far, in 9 years we've been living here, she has tested negative.

Personally, I think this a bit of a 'mountain out of a mole hill' issue. There's one thing for sure. They are not to stop the rural Issan folk from catching and eating the abundant free food that is all around them in the lakes and rivers. I also enjoy it, but my fish is always cooked for me.

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow ye may die.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, please point out, when I posted it was an isolated thing that only occurs in Thailand? This is a forum that concentrate on Thailand, and that is simply why I focus on that in my posts and replies.

I don´t think I need to start with telling you about Thailand. We have to go more basic before that. For example, you seem to find information in posts that I have not written, as dealt with above.

Actually it is an anti Thai think....expats constantly write posts that imply they are intellectually superior to Thai people....essentially it is a racist standpoint which invokes the racist concept of "other".

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

20,000 deaths a year isn't really a lot anyway. And it is mainly the stubborn elderly who succumb to this disease as mentioned in the article. 

'.....he encounters resistance from the older generation. Dr. Khuntikeo laments…

“They’ll say: ‘Oh well, there are many ways to die'. (which is true of course)

My wife loves koi pla and is not afraid to eat it, but she is well aware of the problem and she and her relatives are tested regularly at the local hospital. So far, in 9 years we've been living here, she has tested negative.

Personally, I think this a bit of a 'mountain out of a mole hill' issue. There's one thing for sure. They are not to stop the rural Issan folk from catching and eating the abundant free food that is all around them in the lakes and rivers. I also enjoy it, but my fish is always cooked for me.

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow ye may die.

20,000 from just one type of cancer and the region has the highest death rate from it in the world. ...and it is avoidable.

42 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Actually it is an anti Thai think....expats constantly write posts that imply they are intellectually superior to Thai people....essentially it is a racist standpoint which invokes the racist concept of "other".

As you are taking over a reply to another poster, you failed to point out what I asked you to. Moreover, you did apparently not understand my given reason why I concentrated on Thais and Thailand. There were no racism in my post, as I clearly pointed out why I focused on Thailand. The reason were it is a Thai forum. Now please humor me and point out where I have said or posted it only exists in Thailand.

Edited by Gottfrid

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

20,000 from just one type of cancer and the region has the highest death rate from it in the world. ...and it is avoidable.

So is cirrhosis of the liver and lung cancer avoidable. How many heed the warnings? Many of whom are pontificating on this forum I might add!

And as I pointed out in my post earlier, many Thais are aware of the problem and do take steps to avoid it.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So is cirrhosis of the liver and lung cancer avoidable.

THe diseases =referred to are cancer of the liver - not the 2 you mention - this is an extra disease that is way over the population norm... on top of other illnesses common to the rest of the country.. THe disease unlike smoking related diseases is causd by an organism that is treatable in iy=tself - yet they are not being diagnosed - this means the health service is failing to prevent a disease.

Edited by kwilco

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Yes there was - you point of view is skewed as you are taking a racist approach to a disease - as this is not based on any sciene, only prjudice, you can\t possibley coe up with a rational answer. - e.g. "blaming "Thais"

Do I need to be racist because I come up with blaming Thais for eating a certain Thai dish? Who else is eating it? Should I start talk about Germans? Please, give me a subject to talk about, Sir. ????

Edited by Gottfrid

16 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Do I need to be racist because I come up with blaming Thais for eating a certain Thai dish? Who else is eating it? Should I start talk about Germans? Please, give me a subject to talk about, Sir. ????

QED - and you compound with your own German prejudices!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

If you can't see why I've interpreted your post the way I did then I can't help you, but it definitely came across as Thai bashing. 

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

QED - and you compound with your own German prejudices!

My own German prejudices??? I am a Swede.

Now let hear you tell me what population I should post about in a Thai forum, that eat the food in the specific thread? Is that Thais, or is it other nationalities?

Second, do you find it smart and intelligent to eat the dish described, or do you think they do that because they do not care or have required knowledge to understand the danger?

28 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

If you can't see why I've interpreted your post the way I did then I can't help you, but it definitely came across as Thai bashing. 

I have not asked for any help, and I do not need any. Maybe it was Thai bashing in a way, but it included a lot of facts and it was not racist.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

THe diseases =referred to are cancer of the liver - not the 2 you mention - this is an extra disease that is way over the population norm... on top of other illnesses common to the rest of the country.. THe disease unlike smoking related diseases is causd by an organism that is treatable in iy=tself - yet they are not being diagnosed - this means the health service is failing to prevent a disease.

The reason that I draw a parallel between lung cancer,  cirrhosis of the liver and Fascioliasis (the disease caused by liver fluke) is that all three are caused by human behaviour and are preventable.

However there is a difference. Whilst the first two can be largely prevented by abstention, one can carry on eating koi pla and still prevent the disease by regular screening. (See my earlier post regarding my wife and her family) 

The health service does offer screening and treatment for free and efforts are made to raise awareness. But as the old adage goes, 'you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot force it to drink'. You can't force folks to place a stool sample in a jar and take it along to the clinic for screening. As I previously quoted: 

“They’ll say: ‘Oh well, there are many ways to die'.

Therein lies the problem. Denial.