Living Without Passport?

56 minutes ago, jesimps said:

One way to avoid this sort of thing is to travel to Bangkok yourself and do the process via the official agent in the Trendy Building. That way, your passport never leaves your person. I would never trust a courier, an agent, or anyone else on the planet with my passport. If ever I'm away from the house and have the document with me, I always keep it in a zipped pocket. I'm no goody two shoes, but the loss or damage of that small piece of cardboard and paper can cause a massive siht-storm.

Sorry, I can't be of any help in offering a solution.

I wouldn’t nowadays either. Have renewed passport many moons ago here, but that was direct with CM consulate and all went smoothly. Last time I timed it with trip home, which I’ll do again. 

Op, if for real, go back to your embassy and ‘demand’ a temporary travel doc… cannot understand why they did not suggest this. Avoid going to ground, that will create a bigger issue. 

36 minutes ago, jesimps said:

One way to avoid this sort of thing is to travel to Bangkok yourself and do the process via the official agent in the Trendy Building.

Only if he is a Brit. However I get the impression from his OP that his home country's (whatever said home country might be) passport renewal procedures from Thailand are far more civilised than those which apply to us Brits!

Quite frankly, I think that the only options now available to him are (1) to book a flight ticket to enable him to fly back to his home country before his current permission to stay expires, (2) obtain a "lost or stolen passport" police report here in Thailand, and (3) leg it to his home country embassy in Bangkok clutching both ticket and report in order to obtain the necessary emergency travel document/passport. It could be that his embassy requires firm evidence of travel plans out of Thailand before being prepared to issue him with the necessary emergency travel document/passport (certainly this is the case for us Brits).  

Then once back in his home country apply for a replacement passport there, and once this has been issued return to Thailand visa-exempt with a view to applying for a non-o conversion for retirement at his local immigration office as detailed in the following link:-

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

He should also bear in mind that a certified translation of his Thai "lost or stolen passport" police report into either English or whatever the official language in his home country is will almost certainly be a prerequisite to applying for a replacement passport there.

IMHO this thread is a salutary reminder to us all of the perils of leaving it until the last minute before renewing our passports. As stated in his OP: "My passport was about to expire in October, and at the same time I had to renew my one-year visa, so in August, I sent the passport by a reputable Southeast Asian forwarding firm to my embassy in Bangkok." IMHO 2 months definitely  comes under the "leaving it until the last minute" category.  

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

If I don't have my passport, can I use a copy as an ID when checking in at the airport for domestic flights?

Or staying at hotels?

You cannot use a passport copy to check in for a domestic flight. You don't necessarily need your passport, but you do need one of the original documents approved for domestic air travel, see:

https://www.airportthai.co.th/en/which-documents-are-accepted-for-domestic-travel/

At hotels, YMMV, whatever the individual hotel or receptionist is willing to accept. 

Thank you everybody for real advices.Yes,under radar option is the worst.

Better to 'work' with the embassy,they can give something like certificate that I send documents them for getting a new passport.

seems it should be enough for immigration here.

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Not stupid at all. It's called lateral thinking. I'm curious as well.

The problem with the suggestion, even if his spouse could meet the requirements for a retirement extension (unlikely without advance planning) is that the OP will find it no easier getting an extension as a dependant without a passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakichGak said:

Thank you everybody for real advices.Yes,under radar option is the worst.

Better to 'work' with the embassy,they can give something like certificate that I send documents them for getting a new passport.

seems it should be enough for immigration here.

It will not be enough to stop you being on overstay. Your spouse will still lose their extension as a dependant. However, it improves your chances of avoiding deportation.

I cannot advise you because pretty much all I know is that you have no valid passport and have a Non Thai spouse. You probably only have bad options, but a full knowledge of your situation might allow us to suggest the least bad option.

• Like 1

OP as suggested 

1- Get in direct contact with your embassy by phone, email in person (preferred)

2- If no resolve with 2 weeks go in person to Immigration and plead your case. Hopefully they will be king enough to help.

- Document everything you do dates etc. ask for acknowledgment in writing. Putting your head in the sand will make a bad situation worse. Good luck 

10 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

If I don't have my passport, can I use a copy as an ID when checking in at the airport for domestic flights?

Or staying at hotels?

For the hotel, your wife can use hers to check in - the airport?? you may have to hire a driver and car if not.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Or staying at hotels?

Officially, copies are not supposed to be accepted as valid id. In practice, you can often get away with it.

I'm afraid you only have one option and that is to obtain an emergency travel document from your embassy and most can only be used once and only enroute to your home country. You will then have to renew your passport and obtain the correct visa to return to Thailand.

On 9/13/2023 at 9:40 AM, Caldera said:

There's nothing immigration can and will do if you don't have a valid passport of some kind.

You won't even get an extra 7 days; they certainly won't put the extension (or order to leave within 7 days) stamp on a copy. You couldn't leave without a passport anyway, and of course they know. 

At the very least, you need a temporary passport from your embassy. A real original document that immigration can stamp.

What did you find difficult about the phase "I would suspect" and you would have to show me where I said they would stamp a copy.

I have been in that position and I was TOLD by immigration that if I didn't have a valid passport by the time my under consideration stamp run out I would have to leave the country within 7 days. It is then up to you what you do, overstay or get an ETD.

• Confused 2