THAI E-VISA SETV UK passport holder/resident

In the past I would go to the embassy in Kensington but it seems it is e-visa only now.

The supporting documents page is asking for :

3 . Travel booking confirmation

Haven't booked yet as it is 2.5 months away but I am leaving the UK for India on the 25th so need to apply whilst I am still in the UK.

4 . Proof of accommodation in Thailand, e.g. Accommodation bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand

Uploaded a copy of my condo title deed

5 . A confirmation letter from employer, School, Self-assessment, Pension statement

I have already stated I am retired though I am not at the official retirement age.  I do have self-assessment but are they asking for proof income.

6 . Identity of the person inviting you to stay e.g. Thai ID card, Passport

I could ask any of my Thai friends but seems an odd question.

7 . Financial evidence: amount of not less than 20,000 THB, e.g. bank statements, sponsorship letter

Uploaded a recent bank statement

8 . Document indicating current residency

I recently used the front page of my UK tax return for this to open a new bank account in the UK but wouldn't the recent bank statement be enough.

Strangely 5+6 are not in the list on this help page.

3/ Book a fake flight, there are many websites, that costs about $12 or I used and last years flight flight and just changed the dates. When the visa is issued you get 90 days before you have to use it so you don't have to travel on the dates you stated. 4/ Just book a hotel for a couple of days that is free to cancel and upload the confirmation. The reason 5 & 6 are not on the help page is because they're not applicable to your visa. A very poorly designed website. Just upload a blank document for 5 & 6. 7/ upload a recent bank statement. 8/ upload any recent official document with your UK address - bank statement, driving licence etc.

2 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

3/ Book a fake flight, there are many websites, that costs about $12 or I used and last years flight flight and just changed the dates. When the visa is issued you get 90 days before you have to use it so you don't have to travel on the dates you stated. 4/ Just book a hotel for a couple of days that is free to cancel and upload the confirmation. The reason 5 & 6 are not on the help page is because they're not applicable to your visa. A very poorly designed website. Just upload a blank document for 5 & 6. 7/ upload a recent bank statement. 8/ upload any recent official document with your UK address - bank statement, driving licence etc.

For 8 I've used a Council Tax statement.

Where appropriate, an obfuscated Bank Statement.

And... I made a PDF file containing  the phrase "Is this required for a Tourist Visa?" for those questions that are inapplicable to TV.

As @Jaggg88 said, it's a poorly designed website that tries to cover all visa types at once.

I’m just about to start the process for a 90 day stay in Thailand and have looked at the evisa system online. 
I did a visa process for China a few years ago for a sporting event in Chengdu, that was difficult 

but looking at the Thai system, I’m grateful for this thread and the advice it contains 

Aligning the numbering with the OP, this is what I put for those required documents:

3. Copy of Flight Ticket

4. Copy of emails of my condo booking

5. I just put photo of a note saying 'not required' 6. I put the same 'not required' note here7. Copy of a recent bank statement showing at least £500 in the account - think they want your name and address and bank sort code and account number on the statement

8. Photo of my driving licence

It may help UK residents applying for a 60 day tourist visa to prepare the required documents before you start the visa application. These are the 12 documents you will need to upload (or it was in June this year).

Either photos (JPG) or documents (PDF).

1. Photo of the biodata page of your passport

2. A head and shoulders selfie photo

3. A photo of the signed copy of the Declaration Form (attached a blank you will need to print and date/sign it, then photo to upload)

4. Copy of Flight Ticket

5. Copy of emails of condo booking or hotel booking etc

6. Copy of a recent bank statement showing at least £500 in the account - think they want your name and address and bank sort code and account number on the statement

7. ? Can't see the question on my screen print but think it might be a photo of the two pages of your passport biodata page and the one next to it

8. Photo of a note saying 'not required for this visa'

9. The same 'not required' note here

10. Photo of passport stamp pages

11. Photo of driving licence

12. Photo of me holding my passport open at the pages they want

Also where it asks you for the address of your accommodation, the way it wants the address is a bit odd so you may have to experiment with the drop downs. The postcode drop down should only have 1 choice once the other fields are filled.

Hope that helps make it less painful.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 1:06 PM, damole said:

6 . Identity of the person inviting you to stay e.g. Thai ID card, Passport

I could ask any of my Thai friends but seems an odd question.

Invitations are not required, but not an odd question, used by other countries. It would appear that people do not like Thailand trying to follow accepted conventions.

I am from the UK and when I took my Thai wife to meet my brother who had gone to live in Canada, an invitation letter plus copy of ID from him was a requirement for the visa.

23 hours ago, VBF said:

As @Jaggg88 said, it's a poorly designed website that tries to cover all visa types at once.

Not any worse than the one used by the UK.

It is not the website that is the problem, it is the context of the wording that is the main problem. I suspect that this stems from the fact the website was rolled out in China and the context of the questions orientated in that direction. Subsequent translation will have distorted the context for other countries.

It would be a major task to tailor every webpage to suit the local way of speaking so all we can hope for is local embassies start to provide guidance on what is required. For example the HK website is quite specific on legal residence.

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Invitations are not required, but not an odd question, used by other countries. It would appear that people do not like Thailand trying to follow accepted conventions.

I am from the UK and when I took my Thai wife to meet my brother who had gone to live in Canada, an invitation letter plus copy of ID from him was a requirement for the visa.

But it is not a requirement for an SETV to Thailand.

It is a requirement for someone applying for a non-immigrant visa on the basis of visiting friends and family.

However it is included in the SETV application stream, without explanation, causing much confusion (as do other aspects of the application) purely because it is a extremely badly designed and explained website/process.........that is what "people do not like"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Not any worse than the one used by the UK.

It is not the website that is the problem, it is the context of the wording that is the main problem. I suspect that this stems from the fact the website was rolled out in China and the context of the questions orientated in that direction. Subsequent translation will have distorted the context for other countries.

It would be a major task to tailor every webpage to suit the local way of speaking so all we can hope for is local embassies start to provide guidance on what is required. For example the HK website is quite specific on legal residence.

The "context of the wording" is a fundamental part of any website.......it is a ******* mess!

Par for the course for anything designed and built by/on behalf of the Thai state........and you know it!

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Roy111 said:

It may help UK residents applying for a 60 day tourist visa to prepare the required documents before you start the visa application. These are the 12 documents you will need to upload (or it was in June this year).

3. A photo of the signed copy of the Declaration Form (attached a blank you will need to print and date/sign it, then photo to upload)

4. Copy of Flight Ticket

6. Copy of a recent bank statement showing at least £500 in the account - think they want your name and address and bank sort code and account number on the statement

7. ? Can't see the question on my screen print but think it might be a photo of the two pages of your passport biodata page and the one next to it

Also where it asks you for the address of your accommodation, the way it wants the address is a bit odd so you may have to experiment with the drop downs. The postcode drop down should only have 1 choice once the other fields are filled.

For a 3 month tourist visa. It was easier to get a visa for The Soviet Union at the height of the cold war. I would guess 3 months in N Korea is easier.

19 hours ago, Roy111 said:

4. Copy of Flight Ticket

Slight correction if i may:

6. Copy of a recent bank statement showing at least £500 in the account - think they want your name and address and OBFUSCTED bank sort code and account number on the statement.

NO WAY am i leaving my Sort Code and Account Number visible!!!!!

That worked in Jan 2023, by the way - if it hadn't i would have had to edit the statement. ????

This is NOT a dig at anyone partway through the application process merely my advice for others: 

I just looked at my most recent eVisa and it was valid for 3 months from date of grant.  I actually applied a month before travel

I strongly suggest everyone applies as early as possible for their visas - ie don't cause yourself a last minute panic!

I'll post this on the linked topic as well.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:28 AM, Enoon said:

The "context of the wording" is a fundamental part of any website.......it is a ******* mess!

Par for the course for anything designed and built by/on behalf of the Thai state........and you know it!

Stock answer when things are not the way people want.

If things are such a mess why on earth do you want a visa?

Dear Applicant,

Visa application on hold. Please email the following document(s) to [email protected], quoting your passport number on the email subject title. - Flight details showing applicant’s name, departure date, all flights en route from UK/Ireland/UK territories to Thailand and onward flights to another destination.) E-ticket.

*Please note this is an auto generated e-mail. Please do NOT reply to this email.

Best wishes,
E-Visa Team

So on Friday I received this. 

The ticket I had uploaded was a flight from DEL to CNX via BKK.  I guess as I had stated I was in the UK at the time of applying that they wanted proof of this so I emailed my LHR to DEL ticket which is where I am now.

I did respond that I didn't know that an onward ticket was a requirement and then a few hours later bought my real onward ticket back to India and emailed that.

Last night I received emails informing me they had receive my documents and to wait a few days, this morning India time I received my e-visa.

• Like 2