Motorbike Training — Khon Kaen

ExPatInChiangMai

On 9/14/2023 at 10:22 AM, ExPatInChiangMai said:

Daughter is attending Khon Kaen University International.  Sprawling campus and she’s never ridden motorbike before. 

Does anyone know of motorbike/scooter riding classes?   Prefer at least some English.  Daughter raised in USA and speaks limited Thai. 

Try I D driving

1 hour ago, yardrunner said:

Try I D driving

I used an ID driving school in Khonkaen (there are more than one), to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I was assured that an English speaking instructor would be provided. They asked me to attend on a weekend, I told them I would prefer to do it weekdays to which they agreed. The day before I was due to start learning, they told me that the instructor wasn't available but he would be there at the weekend. Ok, you win, I'll show up at the weekend. I was told to attend at 6am (that's not a typo, yes, the course started at 6am). After they did the necessary paperwork and collected the fee they went away for 10 mins and then came back and told me there was no English instructor available and they didn't know when there would be.

I was then asked to ride around the test area after which I went back into the classroom and was given English printouts of the exam test questions and told to learn them. That was the whole course, practice the questions, no riding instruction whatsoever. I even asked the instructors (via Google translate) if there were any riding techniques they could teach me and I was told no.

At the end of the course I answered enough questions on the test to pass and was given a motorcycle licence. There was no eye-test, reaction test or peripheral test.

So there I was, the proud owner of a Thai motorcycle licence with no knowledge of how to actually safely ride a motorcycle (at least, no knowledge passed on by the driving school). Perhaps I impressed them so much when I went once around the test track that they felt no need to teach me anything.

I did actually watch them teaching car drivers how to parallel park when I got bored looking at the test questions but that seemed to be the limit of what they taught.

A couple of times on a Sunday I have seen a group of motorcyclists riding around cones in the area between Wufoo and McDonalds that look like they are receiving instruction, might be worth a drive past and see if your daughter could join them.

4 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

For heaven’s sake get her a car. 

Agree. 
Do not let her ride a motorcycle on these roads - the world’s deadliest. It’s simply far too dangerous. There’s little or no traffic rule enforcement which ensures a huge % of distracted, drunk, drugged, speeding, careless drivers of bigger vehicles all waiting to kill you. No amount of riding experience will save you because you cannot control what idiot is going to slam into the back of you when they’re playing with their phone, which they ALL do. 

• Like 1