Wild west drama unfolds at Samui Airport: Minibus driver shoots Grab driver in fiery clash

webfact

The photo is from outside the departure terminal, not where passenger are arriving and waiting for transport to their destination on the island. Taxis are not allowed inside the arrival area in Samui Airport; re. the latter part of the article in The Thaiger.

To my knowledge the area outside the departure terminal is not allocated to minibusses – at least I've not noticed any signs – everyone seems to be allowed to let passenger off there. I always stop there so my family or friends can get out with their luggage and have a short distance to the check in counters. If I need to get into the departure terminal, I can turn in the roundabout and park in the short-time parking booths.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: In my experience - Grab only works for Vans and the rates are as high as the Mafia pricing.

The "mafia pricing" is not inflated or too high, they are the normal price on Samui...:whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is... but when visiting there just over a year ago it was impossible to get a Grab.

That was probably just when Samui had opened up after Covid.

People were only just returning to the island.

Grab is pretty much all over the island these days. Many of our guests use Grab except for trips to the airport/ferry terminals.

Grab are also banned from some tourist spots.

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

That was probably just when Samui had opened up after Covid.

People were only just returning to the island.

Correct, it was early on.

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Grab is pretty much all over the island these days. Many of our guests use Grab except for trips to the airport/ferry terminals. Grab are also banned from some tourist spots.

Thats good to know - although its still concerning that they Taxi guys have the 'Airport and ferry terminals locked out, also at some tourist spots. 

So, I'm assuming that if a GrabCar takes a passenger to the Airport, ferry terminal or tourist spot there is going to be a confrontation between local taxi's and the Grab driver ???

Which means the Mafia are still in control.

23 hours ago, stoner said:
On 9/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, webfact said:

a 30 year old man named Boy

how can you not giggle from this when taken in context of the story. oh man. 

Years ago, my company hired a local, English name "Boy"  I refused to call him that, out of fear that an HR Karen from back home would hear me.  You can get fired for that back home.

On 9/14/2023 at 2:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I read the other thread (now closed) with the headline... [A bit of a fracas at the airport today.]

In the opening post  [by Tropicalevo] there was no mention of location, but as soon as I read his description of events I immediately guessed Phuket or Samui... 

Other comments [Nick Carter icp - Things like this happen the World over , just incase you are about to go into *All Thai men are blah blah blah * mode]

No... not really, things like this do not happen the World over...  they happen in area's of lawlessness where the sense of entitlement of the taxi and van mafia is further enabled by the police who fail in their duty of care to the protect the public to apply any enforcement whatsoever.

Welcome to Thailand tourists....  how many families will never return after witnessing this ?

How many potential tourists does such news deter ?

You are absolutely right it does not happen all over the world, where I live you don't hear it at all, we have taxis from different companies, but I never heard about fights or shooting amongst them.

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

You are absolutely right it does not happen all over the world, where I live you don't hear it at all, we have taxis from different companies, but I never heard about fights or shooting amongst them.

I remember a crazy Kenner Taxi Co driver with a big red Oldsmobile cab waving a gun around at NOLA one time. Apparently, his fare skipped paying and ran inside the terminal. Airport cops came running out, waving their guns. Nobody got shot though. Fun times.

• Like 1