Do I need a professional plumber?

OneMoreFarang

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Glue joints are for plastic drains!

This mornings effort, the Thai plumbers put 7x 90 degree joints in this 1m length of pipe (in the walls). Impossible to get a steel snake down to clear, so I had to dig through the wall, then dig out the slab floor. Managed to do the job cutting out all their joints, and with 3 joints creating a washing machine drain point at the same time.

Just finished gluing the joints 5 mins back, will fill the wall and slab another day, tired now. Next time the kitchen sink drain blocks up the steel snake only needs to go round 1x 90 degree bend.

It didn't help having 3 days of torrential rain, forcing me to block up the hole in the wall and bring my tools in.

1694925208294.jpg

I can imagine, 13 years ago I bought a newly built condominium in a prime area of Bangkok, up til today I am still working in it because of simple/cheap/flaws constructions. Recently I found out that aircon pipes are just simply embedded in the walls without using e.g. a pvc pipe to go through, if you've got to replace new air conditioners you must change the pipes too (R22 to R32 refrigerant) ...just let y'all know in case.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, rgrdns said:

Hi,

It's mandatory in Thailand to have a "building insurance" for condominiums, ask the building management what exactly their insurance covers besides the building structure or common area's.

If you are planning to buy insurance, read their policy very thoroughly e.g. what exactly it covers...it's interesting expierence I can tell you.

I am sure it will be very interesting to me if it is in Thai. ???? 

On 9/17/2023 at 4:40 PM, BritManToo said:

Glue joints are for plastic pipes!

This mornings effort, the Thai plumbers put 7x 90 degree joints in this 1m length of pipe (in the walls). Impossible to get a steel snake down to clear, so I had to dig through the wall, then dig out the slab floor. Managed to do the job cutting out all their joints, and with 3 joints creating a washing machine drain point at the same time.

Just finished gluing the joints 5 mins back, will fill the wall and slab another day, tired now. Next time the kitchen sink drain blocks up the steel snake only needs to go round 1x 90 degree bend.

It didn't help having 3 days of torrential rain, forcing me to block up the hole in the wall and bring my tools in.

1694925208294.jpg

My BIL built an outside bathroom and buried the basin outflow. Unfortunately the outflow ended in the ground with no way for the water to escape!

Across the road they built a block of workers rooms and the grey water was piped into an open drain which drained in the big stormwater canal that ran outside our house.

The joys of livin' in LOS.

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2023 at 11:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

One explains how to use Teflon tape. 

If you are a plumber or if you did already some work like that, is it as easy as it looks like? Or does it look easy but somehow it actually is a lot more complicated than it looks?

Did you sort that?

It is as easy as it looks as long as you remember which way to apply it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done and or supervised a fair amount of industrial and residential plumbing. 

PVC is pretty easy to work with, but unlike steel or copper, it is not very forgiving. Once you glue it, it's pretty much done.

It is very cheap. I would recommend buying bunch of fittings, some pipe, and some glue, and play with it until you get comfortable with it. You're a bright guy and you'll catch on pretty quick. 

As others have indicated, teflon tape can be used as a lubricant and or a filler/sealer. I have not had great success with PVC screw connections sealing completely when oriented correctly, and the tape helps with this. 

Try clean, dry, burr-free cuts make the best connections. Trying to glue wet pipe can end in disaster. 

Fit up all your parts without glue first and determine what order you will glue them in before you start. You do not want to get to the end and your pipes are too close together to get the last fitting in. 

I think it is all pretty interchangeable, but try to stick with a single brand of pipe, fittings and glue to avoid any issues. 

You will likely not have to glue the drain together if it is fit-up correctly and unstressed. Make you use a trap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1