Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

17 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I suggest we don't attempt to include anything about this aspect, but that's just me.

That's OK. Persons who on this and other topics suggest that their agents are pure as the driven snow, probably don't want to talk about it, either.

BTW you responded to another post before I edited it to say:

Even though I may have 5 million baht deposited annually into a Thai bank account, if i say that it is ALL non-assessable, that is what it is. No need to fill out any silly PIT forms.

Trust me. You betcha.

Edited by jerrymahoney

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That's OK. Persons who on this and other topics suggest that their agents are pure as the driven snow, probably don't want to talk about it, either.

Well Jerry we can, if that's what others think. It's just that I use an agent for all my Immi work and they won't touch a person who doesn't have the money in the bank so I'm certain they wont touch the RD aspect. But that's just one agent out of potentially thousands so I can't speak for the others. I just think by including anything about agents we get into territory that is both illegal in many cases and also unnecessary for our purpose.

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

BTW you responded to another post before I edited it to say:

Even though I may have 5 million baht deposited annually into a Thai bank account, if i say that it is ALL non-assessable, that is what it is. No need to fill out any silly PIT forms.

Trust me. You betcha.

I have no interest in telling people how to evade tax or break the law. Income is either assessable or it is not and we just need to wrap the right form of words around that aspect.

Are we on the same page here or are you in a different part of the library altogether?

8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Well Jerry we can, if that's what others think. It's just that I use an agent for all my Immi work and they won't touch a person who doesn't have the money in the bank so I'm certain they wont touch the RD aspect. But that's just one agent out of potentially thousands so I can't speak for the others. I just think by including anything about agents we get into territory that is both illegal in many cases and also unnecessary for our purpose.

Well I remember the time roughly 5 years ago when Immigration said, as per the US Embassy:

You mean you are not guaranteeing that anyone who claims on an affidavit that they have 65K in monthly income, actually HAS monthly income?

And that generated a wholesale reform of the IMMM Police order on extensions of stay via retirement or marriage.

Maybe something similar will happen with the Revenue folks on vaporware bank accounts for extensions via retirement.

But more germane to what you want to discuss: If ALL my income is non-assessable, will I ever have to file aa PIT form

Edited by jerrymahoney

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well I remember the time roughly 5 years ago when Immigration said, as per the US Embassy:

You mean you are not guaranteeing that anyone who claims on an affidavit that they have 65K in monthly income, actually HAS monthly income?

And that generated a wholesale reform of the IMMM Police order on extensions of stay via retirement or marriage.

Maybe something similar will happen with the Revenue folks on vaporware bank accounts for extensions via retirement.

Zero interest in second guessing the future and what may happen.

Just want to try and salvage something of use, if there is anything, from the past 200 pages and produce something simple that contains useful information that covers 80/90% of people in 80/90% situations.

Interested in that or not?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Interested in that or not?

This topic generally covers persons who are tax residents of 180+ days per year in Thailand. There are only a limited number of ways that one can spend that much time in Thailand and dealing with Immigration is one of them.

And other than via the IMM folks, how would RD folks ever even know who is a 180+ day tax resident in Thailand?

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

This topic generally covers persons who are tax residents of 180+ days per year in Thailand. There are only a limited number of ways that one can spend that much time in Thailand and dealing with Immigration is one of them.

So what do you suggest?

That as per above Immigration status is not irrelevant.

I'm still not clear where you're coming from. 

The subject being discussed here is about us gathering information about Thai tax for people to be able to use. If somebody is not tax resident, none of this subject applies and taxation is not relevant to them. If they are here for more than 180 days, it is hence immi. status is relevant in that respect. If all those things are true and correct, we need to be setting out the rules that apply to legally resident foreigners, not ways to circumvent those rules by using bad agents. Do you agree with that?

So it is reasonably established what is RD Thailand assessable income for PIT. 

(personal income tax)

And it is reasonably established what is RD Thailand non-assessable income for Thai RD PIT.

The crux it seems to me is that, if ALL your annual foreign-sourced remittances are self-declared non-assessable income, does that mean you are under no obligation via the 60K current revenue reporting base, to report ones income in any manner to RD even though your Thai bank has full records of those deposits?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:43 PM, Mike Lister said:

Likelihood of pensions being taxed is extremely low for Americans because of their tax treaty but high if UK pensions. That said, UK pensioners over age 65 years of age will be allowed a minimum of 500k Baht in deductions and allowances meaning the first 500k baht per year is tax free, thereafter, the remainder will be taxed in bands, starting at 5%.

The issue isn't the amount of tax, it's having to file a Thai tax return. Almost no one here except a handful of ex-pats who are currently working have any clue about how to file, when to file, and most don't even know enough to ask questions.

When talking to other ex-pats, do they even know about these new regulations?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So it is reasonably established what is RD Thailand assessable income for PIT. 

(personal income tax)

And it is reasonably established what is RD Thailand non-assessable income for Thai RD PIT.

The crux it seems to me is that, if ALL your annual foreign-sourced remittances are self-declared non-assessable income, does that mean you are under no obligation via the 60K current revenue reporting base, to report ones income in any manner to RD even though your Thai bank has full records of those deposits?

Let me translate into English:

if you have income, but don't have to pay anything, do you still have to file?

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Yes -- and if you say you don't have to pay anything because your money remitted was an inheritance from your Aunt Dolores, does that mean you ever had to HAVE an Aunt Dolores dead or alive?

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Yes -- and if you say you don't have to pay anything because your money remitted was an inheritance from your Aunt Dolores, does that mean you ever had to HAVE an Aunt Dolores dead or alive?

Way to go guys, you've convinced me that what I had in mind is not actually doable in this type of forum. Only two of the dozen or so core posters who have been involved in the thread have arrived and already they're rehashing the same carp form the past 200 pages, I’m sure when the others wake up and begin to contribute their thoughts, this subject will be headed for 300 or 400 pages! Discuss reasons why something shouldn’t be done rather than actually doing it and discussing the same rubbish over and over again, achieves nothing, it's no different from the past 200 pages.

There seems to be a failure to focus, which is why the thread is 200 pages of mostly drivel and pointless exchanges. Posters are being asked to find the roundabout and go stand in the middle of it yet they keep driving around the damned thing endlessly, taking exists from time to time before returning and continuing to make more circuits. It’s as if they keep forgetting what the purpose or mission is.

If ever you run out of fuel, let me know and we can pick this up again, maybe.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Way to go guys, you've convinced me that what I had in mind is not actually doable in this type of forum.

Maybe you should apply to be a mod.

And I don't run out of fuel because my posts -- excepting quoting others -- would mostly be in the original Twitter 140 character mode.

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It might be helpful and constructive if we could collectively, put together a list of facts and pieces of information that we can then post for the benefit of others, in a separate NON-DISCUSSION thread. In short, distill the past 200 pages into something useful! I know that many people are still trying to understand the basics on all of this and that lots of people don’t believe it effects them or that anything will happen. These are some of the things that I think will be helpful to others, if you have ideas, feel free to contribute:

A copy of the tax tables

A SIMPLE list of deductions and exemptions

Guavamans sample tax return

A SIMPLE list of the rules, that apply to everyone

A list of KNOWN FACTS that are country specific

All of the above are available in sherrings and mazars, the problem is, few people want to read them and even fewer understand them.

Simplicity and brevity will be important.

Thoughts?

Ok.  Simple and brief.  Spouse and I had dinner the other evening with three Pattaya bank branch managers.  They were aware of the proposed tax change but were just as clueless as all of us.  So, at this point, the banks still seem to be in the dark regarding any banking changes they would be required to do.  They said they would keep us posted.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm expressing my view and making an observation, not demanding or requiring anything. 

I mostly agree. But early on this topic a lot of the comments were how NOT to have to comply with whatever the new Thai RD regulations will be, if it ever comes to that.

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I mostly agree. But early on this topic a lot of the comments were how to NOT to have to comply with whatever the new Thai RD regulations will be, if it ever comes to that.

Whooosh went the point about not being able to focus or produce anything useable from 200 pages of ego promoting narratives rather than anything useable by the majority. And even now, posters are STILL going down that same path, again....it's a loss cause. It reminds me of, "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the cause".

Edited by Mike Lister

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Whooosh went the point about not being able to focus or produce anything useable from 200 pages of ego promoting narratives rather than anything useable by the majority. And even now, posters are STILL going down that same path, again....it's a loss cause. It reminds me of, "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the cause".

To me it simple: Until you not only define what is assessable and non-assessable income, but how in fact you establish what is and what is not, all the rest else like the income tax tables and available deductions is moot point.

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

To me it simple: Until you not only define what is assessable and non-assessable income, but how in fact you establish what is and what is not, all the rest else like the income tax tables and available deductions is moot point.

Why is it necessary to define every type of assessible income from every country before you educate and inform the majority? And a follow on question might be....in the absence of any usable instructions from the RD that define all those things, how many years will that take? 

6 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Here's a description of assessible income in Thailand for any one who needs it:

https://sherrings.com/personal-income-tax-in-thailand.html#:~:text=Section 40 of Thailand's Revenue,Pensions%3B and

And this is for non-Assessable income:

Section 42 The assessable income of the following categories shall be exempt for the purpose of income tax calculation:

https://www.rd.go.th/english/37749.html (scroll down)

19 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Why is it necessary to define every type of assessible income from every country before you educate and inform the majority? And a follow on question might be....in the absence of any usable instructions from the RD that define all those things, how many years will that take? 

Bump @jerrymahoney

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Why is it necessary to define every type of assessible income from every country before you educate and inform the majority?

You don't.

Only what Thailand considers ' assessable income ' is pertinent to the thread.

The ' Majority ' all come from different Countries and have different income streams, different DTA's, some might not even have DTA's.

The only people who can inform and educate is the Thai Gov / Thai RD. Other experts can go into overdive and tout for business once definitive instructions have been issued by the Gov / RD.

Everything else is speculation.

I asked a question yesterday.

Is my Gov pension ( non taxable in Thailand ) considered ' assessable income ' if it is not considered ' assessable income ' Do I need to file a Thai tax return.

There is no definitive answer, and others have posted similar questions since.

Nothing will be cut and dried until the Gov / RD extract their finger and make further announcements.