Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

33 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Time to do some reading!

Again it says the word assessible income, but what is assessable income?  Is USA Social Security income considered pension income?  I doubt it

37 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

You do, according to the tax rules.

the tax rules I have read do not detail what is considered assessible, they just repeat the word.  So I am free to say none of my income is assessible?

Just now, gk10012001 said:

You haven't read the link I sent you, you really must do that.

Income is either assessible to Thai tax or exempt, US SSc is exempt by treaty

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

FWIW, here is where I get most of my Tax information from (due to the fact that the Global Bank I worked for used PWC to assist us when working in a number of different countries including filing local & UK Tax Returns for us).

From page 13 of the attached PDF.

Gift Tax

Gifts that are given by a living person are subject to personal income tax under the Revenue Code.  The income tax is levied on the value of the assets or the amount given to parents, ascendants, descendants, spouse or others that exceeds the prescribed threshold, which depends on the type of gift and donor.

The assets or amounts given that do not exceed the threshold and will be exempt from personal income tax are as follows:

1. Income derived from the transfer of ownership or possessory right in an immovable property without any consideration to a legitimate child, excluding an adopted child, in the amount not exceeding Baht 20 million in respect of each child throughout a tax year.
  2. Maintenance income or gifts from ascendants, descendants or spouse, in the amount not exceeding Baht 20 million throughout a tax year.
  3. Maintenance income derived under a moral obligation or gifts made in a ceremony or on occasions in accordance with established custom from persons that are not ascendants, descendants or spouse, in the amount not exceeding Baht 10 million throughout a tax year.
  4. Income from gifts which will be used by the person who receives them for religious, educational or public benefit purposes according to the intention of the donor under criteria and conditions referred to in ministerial regulations.

Income in excess of the above thresholds will be subject to personal income tax at the rate of 5% and will not need to be included together with other income when computing the annual personal income tax liability. 

Seems pretty clear cut to me that a legitimate gift (up to the limits mentioned) to your Wife, Daughter etc... is exempt from PIT so does not need to be declared on your Tax Return, and if that Soi Dog Foundation mentioned was a registered charity deemed to be providing a public benefit then donations to them would be exempt from PIT also. 

So, in a nutshell, it does matter who you're sending the money to & what the money is for but it's for you to assess that & report it accordingly, TRD will only assess it if you're audited. 

thai-tax-booklet-2023-24.pdf 991.06 kB · 0 downloads

Unless I'm missing something, the PWC statements don't say anything different to what we've agreed thus far?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Unless I'm missing something, the PWC statements don't say anything different to what we've agreed thus far?

TBH the discussion about Gift tax has gotten a bit confusing (not helped by the fact I was travelling back from the UK so skim-read posts to catch up) but a few of the guys (e.g. @Lorry, sorry I'm not singling you out) seem to be saying that Gifts to your Wife are liable for PIT & need to be reported on your return 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

My read is that the tax resident person in Thailand who receives the money, is the only person who has a potential taxation liability to Thailand. That person has to 'determine' if it is a gift or not (meets the rules) - and they must also have the necessary documents/information to later show why they determined it was not assesable (from husband, wife, etc etc), if they are ever questioned by the TRD.

Example - If I was to transfer XYZ Baht from my home country bank account into my Wife's Thai bank account (single transfer or multiple), that could be a 'gift'.  IMO that would especially 'qualify' as a gift/s, if I was to make 1 or more large transfers to enable her to buy a house or a car (in her name of course). 

If I was to regularly transfer say 50-100K per month, that could easily be 'questioned' by the TRD if that money was also being spent on myself - that is not to say it would not be viewed a sa gift, because that could be determined to be 'support'.

IMO both circumstances are likely to be OK, but if she was to then transfer 50-100K to your bank account in Thailand, then that is unlikely to be accepted by TRD as a gift. However, even then, the taxation obligation would fall on the wife and not myself - although I am sure there is some 'rule or interpretation' that would allow TRD to charge me with 'conspiracy to avoid tax or tax evasion' - so I would not ever think that would be a wise thing to do - because the penalties are huge.   

This comes back to the old issue of whether Gift tax can be used to escape assessible tax on income. I don't believe a person can remit assessible income as a Gift to avoid paying Thai PIT on that income because the loss to Revenue is too great, potentially it reduces the tax from 35% to 5% or even 0%..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

This comes back to the old issue of whether Gift tax can be used to escape assessible tax on income. I don't believe a person can remit assessible income as a Gift to avoid paying Thai PIT on that income because the loss to Revenue is too great, potentially it reduces the tax from 35% to 5% or even 0%..

Gifts can be used to avoid tax on remitted (not domestic) income as long as the relationship between the person giving/receiving the gift & the purpose of the gift fall within the approved criteria. 

Gifts cannot be used to evade tax on domestic income.

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Gifts can be used to avoid tax on remitted (not domestic) income as long as the relationship between the person giving/receiving the gift & the purpose of the gift fall within the approved criteria. 

Got a source for that?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

PWC Doc attached in the post above..

I can't seem to find the 'remitted income' exception anywhere in that pub. A little help, please. Thanx.

17 hours ago, oldcpu said:

As we all know' ?  .. My alternative opinion:   You are speaking for yourself and not for 'all'.

Ignorance is bliss.

18 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I never thought I would see the day on Asean Now when someone claims a visa was created to compensate wealthy foreigners.   lol ! lol !

My comment on LTR is a bit exaggerated and provocative, but I meant "compensate" taxwise compared to the wealthy Thai counterpart who somehow don't pay what they should.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I can't seem to find the 'remitted income' exception anywhere in that pub. A little help, please. Thanx.

True, it doesn't say "Remitted Income" so I might be wrong about not being able to use Gifts as a way to limit tax on Income earned in Thailand, but that document (& the crux of this thread) is aimed more about Expat's being taxed on money remitted into Thailand for which Gifts can be used to limit how much Tax you need to pay. 

Edit: Having a quick look through the TRD document, it doesn't mention remitted income in there either so strengthens the argument that Gift's can be used to reduce tax on income earned in Thailand.

Section 42 The assessable income of the following categories shall be exempt for the purpose of income tax calculation: para 27... 

https://www.rd.go.th/english/37749.html

Edit: Just struck me that your question might be more around only domestic Gifts being eligible, this article is all about remitting money to Thailand & lists the same criteria listed many times before...  https://www.xe.com/ar/blog/money-transfer/sending-a-large-money-transfer-to-thailand-what-to-know-about-taxes/

Gift Tax

For many decades, Thailand did not tax gifts, just income. But that changed in 2016. The government not only imposed taxes; it also changed the definition of a “gift.” 

Any property, including money, which is transferred to another person, and there is no expectation of any tangible return, is a gift. Interest-free loans and property sales at substantially below market value are also gifts.

In many countries, gifts also have relational components. But in Thailand, you can give a gift to anyone, at least for tax purposes, if it exceeds the following amounts:

• Inheritances above ฿100 million THB (about $335,000 USD),
  • Non Transferable property rights above ฿20 million THB (about $67,000 USD), and
  • Any property transfer, including foreign remittances, which meet the gift criteria discussed above.

A number of exemptions apply. This list includes: 

• Gifts from relatives under ฿20 million THB
  • Gifts from non-relatives under ฿10 million THB (about $33,000 USD).
  • Gifts made for educational or religious purposes (such as college tuition payment transfers)

Although relationship does not enter into the definition of a “gift,” there is a relational aspect to the amount of the tax. Thailand’s gift tax is 10% in most cases, and 5% if the recipient is a descendant or ascendant. Most relationships via marriage, such as step-siblings, do not qualify for the reduction, at least in most cases.

Edited by Mike Teavee
Added XE Link
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

FWIW, here is where I get most of my Tax information from (due to the fact that the Global Bank I worked for used PWC to assist us when working in a number of different countries including filing local & UK Tax Returns for us).

From page 13 of the attached PDF.

Gift Tax

Gifts that are given by a living person are subject to personal income tax under the Revenue Code.  The income tax is levied on the value of the assets or the amount given to parents, ascendants, descendants, spouse or others that exceeds the prescribed threshold, which depends on the type of gift and donor.

The assets or amounts given that do not exceed the threshold and will be exempt from personal income tax are as follows:

1. Income derived from the transfer of ownership or possessory right in an immovable property without any consideration to a legitimate child, excluding an adopted child, in the amount not exceeding Baht 20 million in respect of each child throughout a tax year.
  2. Maintenance income or gifts from ascendants, descendants or spouse, in the amount not exceeding Baht 20 million throughout a tax year.
  3. Maintenance income derived under a moral obligation or gifts made in a ceremony or on occasions in accordance with established custom from persons that are not ascendants, descendants or spouse, in the amount not exceeding Baht 10 million throughout a tax year.
  4. Income from gifts which will be used by the person who receives them for religious, educational or public benefit purposes according to the intention of the donor under criteria and conditions referred to in ministerial regulations.

Income in excess of the above thresholds will be subject to personal income tax at the rate of 5% and will not need to be included together with other income when computing the annual personal income tax liability. 

Seems pretty clear cut to me that a legitimate gift (up to the limits mentioned) to your Wife, Daughter etc... is exempt from PIT so does not need to be declared on your Tax Return, and if that Soi Dog Foundation mentioned was a registered charity deemed to be providing a public benefit then donations to them would be exempt from PIT also. 

So, in a nutshell, it does matter who you're sending the money to & what the money is for but it's for you to assess that & report it accordingly, TRD will only assess it if you're audited. 

thai-tax-booklet-2023-24.pdf 991.06 kB · 4 downloads

As dogmatix has said, we should read the Thai wording of the law, not the English wording of someone else. I can't read the Thai law, so I try to read the English as given by PWC.

They are talking about taxes exempt from personal income tax - but WHOSE taxes?

The second paragraph says, what is "exempt from personal income tax".

It is 1. "Income derived from the transfer of..."

Now, WHO has income derived from the transfer of property? Certainly not the gifter. The giftee has income from that transfer and doesn't have to pay PIT. Nothing in this sentence says anything about the gifter's tax burden. 

Income exempt from personal income tax is also 

2. "Maintenance income ...from ..." 

WHO has maintenance income that would be taxable if it weren't tax exempt? The recipient of the gift. They are talking about the recipient's taxes, not about the giver's taxes.

Tax exempt is also

3. "Maintenance income derived..." The giver doesn't have any maintenance income that now is tax exempt.  The recipient has.

And last

4. "Income from gifts ..." The Soi Dog Foundation has a lot of income from gifts and doesn't have to pay taxes on it. I, who loves soi dogs so much, get all my income from work. I have no income from gifts. I get no tax exemptions if I give all my money to the Soi Dog Foundation.

I originally thought like Mike Teavee, it was JimGant's Soi Dog Foundation who made me understand all this.

2 caveats:

- I don't know the Thai wording of the law

- I don't know how the RD sees things.  Dogmatix has said he is not aware of any other gift tax cases. And anyway, with gifts from abroad the view of the RD might change,  for practical reasons. Nobody knows.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Having a quick look through the TRD document, it doesn't mention remitted income in there either so strengthens the argument that Gift's can be used to reduce tax on income earned in Thailand.

The reason the gift tax came about at the time the inheritance tax did, was to have fat cats realize a penalty if they tried to give away enough of their estate to slide below the 100M threshold for the inheritance tax. So, yeah, the govt gets to collect some of those taxes lost by the fat cat's estate dipping below 100M due to gifting. But the fat cat doesn't really pay a financial penalty, since the gift recipient is paying the tax (if any) -- and the govt doesn't really care who pays it, so long as the future loss of inheritance tax is mitigated, to some extent, by the gift tax.

Having said that, do you think the govt is going to allow the fat cat to exempt from taxation all those funds going as gifts? Not only would this widen the gap between lost inheritance taxes and collected gift taxes -- but it would reward the fat cat by possibly pushing him down to a lower tax bracket (well, maybe not, as he's probably well above the 35% marginal tax rate). In any event, the govt is not going to reward, via tax exemption, someone gifting away his estate in order not to have his estate eventually pay inheritance taxes.

Edited by JimGant
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Caveat1 My answers below are my opinion on overseas income being remitted into Thailand as a legitimate Gift & meeting all the criteria of being a gift, in particular the ones around not receiving any direct/benefits from it. 

Caveat2 I'm assuming that they Gifter sends the Giftee money directly from their overseas account, if they sent it to themselves 1st then I'm assuming that they would need to declare it as personal income (you can't make a Gift to yourself), possibly pay tax on it & then (try to) claim it back.

As dogmatix has said, we should read the Thai wording of the law, not the English wording of someone else. I can't read the Thai law, so I try to read the English as given by PWC.

I agree, but like you I can't read Thai so rely on the wording on the TRD website as well as articles from the large accounting firms, all seem to be more or less in agreement about the rules on taxing Gifts.

They are talking about taxes exempt from personal income tax - but WHOSE taxes?

Gifter as if they gift the money to somebody else instead of receiving it then there is no tax to pay on it, so they'd be in the same tax position as if they hadn't given he gift 

Giftee as if they receive the gift with no tax obligations. 

The second paragraph says, what is "exempt from personal income tax".

It is 1. "Income derived from the transfer of..."

Now, WHO has income derived from the transfer of property? Certainly not the gifter. The giftee has income from that transfer and doesn't have to pay PIT. Nothing in this sentence says anything about the gifter's tax burden. 

Per above, the Gifter has no Tax Burden & the Giftee doesn't have to pay tax on the Gift, however if that Gift (e.g. Property) then started to generate an income, they would have to pay tax on the income.

Income exempt from personal income tax is also 

2. "Maintenance income ...from ..." 

WHO has maintenance income that would be taxable if it weren't tax exempt? The recipient of the gift. They are talking about the recipient's taxes, not about the giver's taxes.

The person who is receiving the Maintenance would be liable to tax if it wasn't exempt. 

Tax exempt is also

3. "Maintenance income derived..." The giver doesn't have any maintenance income that now is tax exempt.  The recipient has.

And last

4. "Income from gifts ..." The Soi Dog Foundation has a lot of income from gifts and doesn't have to pay taxes on it. I, who loves soi dogs so much, get all my income from work. I have no income from gifts. I get no tax exemptions if I give all my money to the Soi Dog Foundation.

If the Soi Dog Foundation is a registered organisation that is adjudged as offering a Public Service then Gifts to it would be exempt from Tax 

I originally thought like Mike Teavee, it was JimGant's Soi Dog Foundation who made me understand all this.

I thought @JimGant was in mainly in agreement on the rules around taxing of Gifts so I'd be interested in why you & he think it's any different than I've posted above. 

2 caveats:

- I don't know the Thai wording of the law

- I don't know how the RD sees things.  Dogmatix has said he is not aware of any other gift tax cases. And anyway, with gifts from abroad the view of the RD might change,  for practical reasons. Nobody knows.

That part we can all agree on !!! 

I've answered as best I can inline in your post...  

Edited by Mike Teavee

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Gifter as if they gift the money to somebody else instead of receiving it

NOooo

The gifter HAS received the money,  and then gifts it.

One cannot gift money one has not received first.

And one receives it as a salary from one's work, as capital gains, whatever. 

When one receives it one has to pay tax on it.

How one then uses the money (buy beer, gift it to Thai wife, whatever), is irrelevant for ones taxes.

Money Mr X gets is tax-free if Mr X got this money as a gift from a relative. 

Talking about Mr X's tax-burden here.

Not talking about the relatives tax-burden.

A practical example:

Noi works at True call center, 35,000 per month

Daeng is a manager at a bank branch, 60,000 per month

Pat is an executive at a company, 120,000 per month

Som is a surgeon at a private hospital,  350,000 per month

Tik is a smart investor and makes about 1m a month

They all gift all their income to their parents.  According to your logic, they all wouldn't pay any taxes. 

Thais would have found out about this tax-avoidance scheme a long time ago.

I will have to ask some Thais whether this works.  Unfortunately,  I don't know Tik, the smart investor, and Som might be reluctant to talk about her taxes. Noi probably knows nothing... Anybody can help here?

What @Mike Teaveemeans is, basically you can deduct up to 10m resp. 20m for gifts for relatives from your taxable income. 

The opposite opinion is, only the giftee doesn't have to pay taxes on gifts.

Any middle class Thai or Thai tax adviser should know the answer...

Edited by Lorry

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Lorry said:

NOooo

The gifter HAS received the money,  and then gifts it.

One cannot gift money one has not received first.

And one receives it as a salary from one's work, as capital gains, whatever. 

When one receives it one has to pay tax on it.

How one then uses the money (buy beer, gift it to Thai wife, whatever), is irrelevant for ones taxes.

Per the 1st caveat, I was referring to people remitting money to Thailand as a Gift, how they 1st came by this money & what tax was paid on it is of no concern to TRD as long as (per 2nd Caveat) they are not remitting it to themselves before gifting it on. 

E.g. I send some money directly to my daughter from the UK as a Wedding Present, no tax implications on me. 

I send some money to myself & then forward it on to my daughter as a Wedding Present, I need to declare the money coming in (It can't possibly be a Gift at this point as the Sender & Receiver are the same) and then (try to) claim that the money was ultimately intended as a Gift to my daughter as a Wedding Present (Something I think you'd have no problem doing if you can evidence the money coming into your account and then going into hers). 

18 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Money Mr X gets is tax-free if Mr X got this money as a gift from a relative. 

Talking about Mr X's tax-burden here.

Not talking about the relatives tax-burden.

A practical example:

Noi works at True call center, 35,000 per month

Daeng is a manager at a bank branch, 60,000 per month

Pat is an executive at a company, 120,000 per month

Som is a surgeon at a private hospital,  350,000 per month

Tik is a smart investor and makes about 1m a month

They all gift all their income to their parents.  According to your logic, they all wouldn't pay any taxes. 

Thais would have found out about this tax-avoidance scheme a long time ago.

I will have to ask some Thais whether this works.  Unfortunately,  I don't know Tik, the smart investor, and Som might be reluctant to talk about her taxes. Noi probably knows nothing... Anybody can help here?

Again: I'm referring to money being remitted into Thailand not income from work inside of Thailand, all the people in your example would pay PAYE Tax on their income & would need to try to reclaim any money "Gifted" back via a Tax Refund claim. 

What @Mike Teaveemeans is, basically you can deduct up to 10m resp. 20m for gifts for relatives from your taxable income. 

I am @Mike Teavee 🙂 

The opposite opinion is, only the giftee doesn't have to pay taxes on gifts.

Any middle class Thai or Thai tax adviser should know the answer...

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

: I'm referring to money being remitted into Thailand not income from work inside of Thailand, all the people in your example would pay PAYE Tax on their income & would need to try to reclaim any money "Gifted" back via a Tax Refund claim. 

So, can they claim it back?

I really don't know,  but I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Lorry said:

So, can they claim it back?

I really don't know,  but I doubt it.

I'm assuming you can get a Tax adjustment somehow as the TRD says you can get Tax relief for Gifts, so in your examples where you've already paid PAYE Tax on the income it makes logical sense that you can claim some relief, however the (English Version) of the Tax Return Guide doesn't mention gifts anywhere so again we're back to the question "Can Domestic Gifts be given Tax Free"   (I don't see how you could pre-claim it & avoid paying PAYE income but I've never worked in Thailand so wouldn't know) - All the more reason to remit the Gift directly to the Giftee & not send it via your Thai Bank account. 

If the answer is "No, Domestic Gifts cannot be given Tax Free" then it doesn't make sense to have a Gift Tax rule at all unless it's for just for Remittances & surely the receiver of a Domestic sourced Gift would not pay tax on it as that income has already been taxed.  

Ironically enough there is space on the Tax Return form to claim relief for charitable donations so your donation to the Soi Dog Foundation would (if they're an approved charity) give you some relief... 

https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/download/english_form/030265guide91.pdf

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm assuming you can get a Tax adjustment somehow as the TRD says you can get Tax relief for Gifts, so in your examples where you've already paid PAYE Tax on the income it makes logical sense that you can claim some relief,

I'm stepping back from any discussions on Tax from any Income arising in Thailand as it doesn't directly impact me but here are the Thai rules around Gift Tax https://www.rd.go.th/43338-1/clear-cut-ภาษีการรับให้-gift-tax-ใครต้องเสียภาษี.html (Chrome should translate it for you).

And here's the translated summary table... 

image.png.1750d30cb9191921152f752b823ccae9.png

Enjoy 🙂 

• Like 1

Since gift taxes are levied on the recipient of the gift, not the giver, it would seem that any exemptions and special rates would apply to the recipient's tax liability, not the remitter.

Since the giver is the remitter of the gift, then the new interpretation of the rules regarding remittances and the standard PIT deductions and rates would apply to the remitter, not the recipient.  

Recipient of gift: Subject to gift tax rules.

Giver of gift: Subject to PIT and rules on remittances.

Both the giver and recipient may be liable for taxes depending upon the various factors involved.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm stepping back from any discussions on Tax from any Income arising in Thailand as it doesn't directly impact me but here are the Thai rules around Gift Tax https://www.rd.go.th/43338-1/clear-cut-ภาษีการรับให้-gift-tax-ใครต้องเสียภาษี.html (Chrome should translate it for you).

And here's the translated summary table... 

image.png.1750d30cb9191921152f752b823ccae9.png

Enjoy 🙂 

Interesting.

If the gift is real estate "the transferor deducts tax"

Otherwise,  "the recipient chooses to pay tax"

(The Soi Dog Foundatio  seems to be treated differently again)

I have gone through all the usual English tax websites, Mazars etc. They all seem to imply that the receiver of a gift pays the gift tax, but very few clearly state it:

an individual receiving certain types of gifts in excess of the tax-free thresholds will be subject to personal income tax at the rate of 5 percent of the exceeding portion

https://www.thanathippartners.com/insights/legal-update/inheritance-tax-and-gift-tax-t2u2.html?show=4

Gift Tax

The Gift Tax is a particular type of PIT for which the above source rule and/or residence rule also apply. In this case, a foreigner receiving movable properties (cash, car, jewelry, etc.) from an ancestor, a descendant, or a spouse as a sustentation, support, or gift, will be subject to a 5% Gift Tax on the portion exceeding 20 million THB, in each tax year.

However, if the movable properties are given to the foreigner in the event of a formal ceremony, on customary occasions, or under moral responsibility, by a person who is not an ancestor, a descendant, or a spouse, the 5% Gift Tax will apply on the portion exceeding 10 million THB, in each tax year.

Lastly, the 5% Gift Tax shall be applied on the portion exceeding 20 million THB of the appraised value of immovable assets (land, building, condominium unit, etc.) per legitimate child, in each tax year, which ownership is transferred without compensation from Parents to their legitimate children (but not adopted children).

https://www.ilct.co.th/taxation-for-foreigners-under-thai-laws/

But:

Say you and your spouse are freelancers with all clients based abroad. If you’re earning $60,000 a year and your spouse is making $80,000, you could “gift” $3,000 to them so you stay within the 25% tax bracket. With the extra $3,000, your spouse will still be well within the same 30% tax bracket. You’ve reduced your tax burden and kept your spouse’s virtually the same. 

https://btisolutions.co/will-you-be-impacted-by-thailands-revised-tax-code/

(I think this guy is wrong)

22 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Since gift taxes are levied on the recipient of the gift, not the giver, it would seem that any exemptions and special rates would apply to the recipient's tax liability, not the remitter.

Since the giver is the remitter of the gift, then the new interpretation of the rules regarding remittances and the standard PIT deductions and rates would apply to the remitter, not the recipient.  

Recipient of gift: Subject to gift tax rules.

Giver of gift: Subject to PIT and rules on remittances.

Agreed