Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

9 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes, most of them spent correcting other posters nonsense rather than being argumentative over minutiae and jumping in to answer every question asked by anyone, of any one else!

Thought you put me on ignore yesterday ?

With nearly 600 posts on the thread, were you looking in a mirror when you. typed the above ?

Keep up the good work. The RD are apparently taking on people, might be a job opportunity for you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Here's a first cut of the FIRST PART of a simple explanation that I had in mind....thoughts?

If you stay in Thailand for more than 180 days, between 1 January and 31 December each year, you will be considered a Tax Resident in Thailand, regardless of they type of visa you have. It doesn’t matter that you may be Tax Resident in your home country or elsewhere or that you pay tax in those countries, Thailand will still regard you as Tax Resident.

Because you are Tax Resident, YOU must assess your income to determine if Thai income tax is due. In the case of a foreigner in Thailand, income is defined as any money paid to them inside Thailand, AND, importantly, any money that is transferred to them from overseas, both types are potentially taxable for tax residents.

Income that is received within Thailand is fairly clear, if you work and have a job and you are a Tax Resident, your income is assessable for tax.  Interest that is paid on bank accounts is regarded as income, as is income from investments such as stocks and bonds. A more complete list of the types of income that may be derived from within Thailand are linked below.

LINK

Money that is received from overseas is not always easy to assess for tax because there are many potential sources of those funds. Overseas income has to pass several tests to determine if it is assessable to Thai tax or not.

If we take the simplest type of funds and say that you transfer personal savings that were earned before 1 January 2024 to Thailand, those funds are not taxable but savings earned after that date,  potentially are, so the date when the income is earned is very important, even savings account interest.   

Another common type of income is pensions which can be complicated, depending on the type of pension and the country that it comes from. That is important because there are over 60 different types of Dual Tax Agreements (DTA’s) between Thailand and those 60 countries and each one is different. US Social Security payments for example, a form of pension paid to older people, can only be taxed by the US and Thailand is forbidden from taxing them, this means those payments are NOT assessable income. UK State pension on the other hand is not covered by a DTA so it is assessable income in Thailand yet Government or Civil Service pensions are not!

Great initiative.

"Note that if you are generating income by working while staying in Thailand, it is (and has always been) irrelevant where that money is paid and whether you bring the money into the country or keep it offshore."  :coffee1:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eudaimonia said:

Great initiative.

"Note that if you are generating income by working while staying in Thailand, it is (and has always been) irrelevant where that money is paid and whether you bring the money into the country or keep it offshore."  :coffee1:

An excellent point I hadn't considered, I'll include it in the write up.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, BobBKK said:

But... As you are, I am a full-time resident in Thailand; I have an NHS pension and will be getting the old-age pension soon. UK tax authorities tax me in the UK; obviously, how can Thailand justify taxing me on pension income here?  I think many think they will wake up and smell the coffee soon and have jumped the gun - many will leave if they do not.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/international-manual/intm343040

If your NHS pension is classed as Government (Check the list for who pays it), that might not be a problem?  May only be taxed in UK?

Then

It's been said you can get up to about 350k-400k with over 65years of age allowances, for  that sent to Thailand, which could cover the UK state pension before tax is paid?

I kinda share your sentiment on the subject though, especially as I've never been full-time in Thailand.

I'm hoping they accept that pension,  if taxed in the UK, that tax is offset with credit relief against Thai Tax (DTA article 23 3), waiting to see what they actually do. As it may cause me some difficulties! My Gov pension is relatively small, would only be a nice to have, I'm 4 years + away from the additional allowances, 6 years away from State Pension!

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/international-manual/intm343040

If your NHS pension is classed as Government (Check the list for who pays it), that might not be a problem?  May only be taxed in UK?

Then

It's been said you can get up to about 250k-400k with over 65years of age allowances sent to Thailand, which could cover the UK state pension before tax is paid?

I kinda share your sentiment on the subject though, especially as I've never been full-time in Thailand.

I'm hoping they accept that pension,  if taxed in the UK, that tax is offset with credit relief against Thai Tax (DTA article 23 3), waiting to see what they actually do. As it may cause me some difficulties! My Gov pension is relatively small, would only be a nice to have, I'm 4 years + away from the additional allowances, 6 years away from State Pension!

500k for over age 65 years pensioner

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

If you stay in Thailand for more than 180 days, between 1 January and 31 December each year, you will be considered to be Tax Resident in Thailand during that year,

It's clear, but you could add Cumulative Total of 180 days, as I've seen some think it's a block of 180 days, that are not in depth with the subject.  just a suggestion :smile:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

nd this is for non-Assessable income:

Section 42 The assessable income of the following categories shall be exempt for the purpose of income tax calculation:

https://www.rd.go.th/english/37749.html (scroll down)

Regarding "non-assessable" income:

ASSESSABLE VS TAXABLE INCOME

All personal income tax (PIT) in Thailand is collected upon the basis of ASSESSABLE INCOME.

https://www.rd.go.th/english/37749.html

Section 38 Income tax is an assessment tax. An assessment official shall make assessment on tax under this Chapter.

This means that the taxpayer must compile their income-related information and use that information to prepare and submit a tax return to the RD summarizing the amount of their income that meets the characteristics as assessable income. The taxpayer, after calculating according to the characteristics, methods, conditions, rates set, and the burden of paying taxes, gives it to the tax assessor to determine the correctness of the taxable amount and the practice of duties of the taxpayer.

http://www.smlaudit.com/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B6%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99

Section 39 In this Chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:

Assessable income means income that is taxable under this Chapter. Such income also includes an asset [property] or any other benefit received which may be computed into a monetary value, any amount of tax paid by the payer of income or by any other person on behalf of a taxpayer and tax credit under Section 47 Bis.

https://www.rd.go.th/english/37749.html

So what is non-assessable income? 

This does not appear in the Thai tax code. One could imagine that it would be an asset [property] or any other benefit received which may NOT be computed into a monetary value; however, that would only be an imagination, because the concept of non-assessable income is absent from the tax code.

A search of the The Thai Revenue Department website results in 0 results for “non-assessable”.

image.png.6845bc7e6335a04c04aa6b3faa99a356.png

The “non-assessable incomeStraw Man does not exist.

What does this mean for expat Thai tax residents?

The RD defines 8 categories of assessable income.  All of your “assessable income” falls within one of these 8 categories.

ASSESSABLE INCOME EXEMPT FROM INCOME TAX CALCULATION

Under Section 42, The assessable income of some categories are exempt for the purpose of income tax calculation; however, the tax code has no references to income derived under DTAs , although  the content of DTAs specifically state that some categories of income are exempt from taxation in Thailand.

Section 42 The assessable income of the following categories shall be exempt for the purpose of income tax calculation:

(1) Per diem or transport expenses (2) Transport expenses and traveling per diem at the rates prescribed by the Government in the Royal Decree governing the rates of transport expenses and traveling per diem.

(3) The part of traveling expenses paid by the employer to the employee which the employee spent wholly and necessarily in traveling …

(4) Where a contract of employment which was bona fide entered into before the entry into force of the Royal Act on Income Tax B.E. 2475 …

(5) Special post allowance, house rent allowance and rent free residence granted to an official of a Thai embassy or consulate abroad.

(6) Income from a sale or discount received from purchase stamp duties or government postage stamps.

(7) Board or committee meeting allowance and teaching and examination fees paid by the government or public educational institutions.

(8) The following interest:

(a) Interest from Government savings lotteries, or interest on demand deposit with the Government Savings Bank;

(b) Interest on savings deposit with a cooperative;

(c) Interest on savings deposit with a bank in Thailand which is repayable on demand;

(9) Sale of a movable property acquired from inheritance …

(10) Income derived from an inheritance.11

(11) Award for the purpose of education or technical research, government lottery and government savings prize, prize given by government authority in contest or competition to a person other than a professional contestant or competitor, or reward paid by government authority for the purpose of prevention of wrongdoing.

(12) Special pension, special gratuity, inherited pension or inherited gratuity.

(13) Compensation against wrongful acts, amount derived from insurance or from funeral assistance scheme.

(15) Income of a farmer from sale of rice cultivated by the farmer and/or his family.

(16) Income derived from an undivided estate liable to tax under Section 57 Bis.

(17) Income prescribed for exemption by Ministerial Regulations.12

(18) Red Cross lottery prize, income from a sale or discount received from purchase of Red Cross lotteries.

(19) Interest received under Section 4 Decem.13

(23) Income from sale of investment units in a mutual fund.

(24) Income of a mutual fund.

(25) Compensatory benefit received by the taxpayer from the social security fund under the law governing social security.

(26) Income derived from the transfer of ownership or possessory right in an immovable property without any consideration to a legitimate child …

(27) Income derived from maintenance and support or gifts from ascendants, descendants or spouse, but only for the portion not exceeding twenty million Baht throughout the tax year.

(28) Income derived from maintenances and support under moral purposes or gifts received in a ceremony or on occasions in accordance with custom and tradition from persons who are not ascendants, descendants or spouse, but only for the portion not exceeding ten million baht throughout the tax year.

(29) Income derived from gifts whereby a donor has expressed his or her intention or appeared to have an intention of using the gifts for religious, educational or public benefit activities in accordance with the rules and conditions as prescribed by a Ministerial Regulation.

So there is assessable income that is taxable and assessable income that is exempt from tax, but "non-assessable" income is not a "thing".

You can stop thinking and claiming that that some of your income is non-assessable.

7 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Tax filing in Thailand is based on the honor system, it relies on you declaring all the right information every year and there are severe penalties for avoiding Thai tax

'Avoiding' tax is fine i.e. by deductions. 'Evading' tax is criminal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Guavaman said:

So there is assessable income that is taxable and assessable income that is exempt from tax, but "non-assessable" income is not a "thing".

You can stop thinking and claiming that that some of your income is non-assessable.

If you do a search for 'non-assessable' you will find plenty have also used that term

Including this from Mr. Gant: 3. Thai RD is NOT interested in non assessable income (again, income exempted by treaty, like gov't pensions for most OECD countries --

(tricky he leaves out the hyphen)

Edited by jerrymahoney

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

If you do a search for 'non-assessable' you will find plenty have also used that term

Yes, that is a problem: we don't have the luxury of defining Thai tax law terms as we wish. The RD sets the rules and definitions. We can't just say: "My social security benefit payment is non-assessable income, so it doesn't count for the income threshold for filing a tax return", or  "I already paid tax on my pension in my home country, so it is non-assessable income in Thailand".

It is ALL assessable income when remitted, although some of it may be EXEMPTED from taxation by the RD. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guavaman said:

Yes, that is a problem: we don't have the luxury of defining Thai tax law terms as we wish. The RD sets the rules and definitions. We can't just say: "My social security benefit payment is non-assessable income, so it doesn't count for the income threshold for filing a tax return", or  "I already paid tax on my pension in my home country, so it is non-assessable income in Thailand".

It is ALL assessable income when remitted, although some of it may be EXEMPTED from taxation by the RD. 

So how about this from the esteemed Mr. Gant:

3. Thai RD is NOT interested in non assessable income (again, income exempted by treaty, like gov't pensions for most OECD countries -- or, again, any income not remitted). Thus, if you have enough assessable income requiring you to file a Thai tax return, you would NOT include line items of non assessable income. And, for sure, if you didn't have enough assessable income to require you to file, you certainly wouldn't file a tax return containing only line items on non assessable income (or worse, line items on non income cash flow into Thailand, like savings, just to show how you're being forthcoming in reporting all your money transfers).

https://aseannow.com/topic/1306896-thai-government-to-tax-all-income-from-abroad-for-tax-residents-starting-2024/?do=findComment&comment=18599827

Perhaps buried in these thousands of replies there is an answer to my question, but unfortunately I have neither the time or inclination to read  hundreds of pages of mostly arguing,  

I am sur I am not the only one who is wondering. 

Is there a precise easy to understand source of what is required of me as a retired American here on extensions to stay based on marriage , all income remitted to Thailand from SSI and private pension. 

24 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So how about this from the esteemed Mr. Gant:

3. Thai RD is NOT interested in non assessable income (again, income exempted by treaty, like gov't pensions for most OECD countries -- or, again, any income not remitted). Thus, if you have enough assessable income requiring you to file a Thai tax return, you would NOT include line items of non assessable income. And, for sure, if you didn't have enough assessable income to require you to file, you certainly wouldn't file a tax return containing only line items on non assessable income (or worse, line items on non income cash flow into Thailand, like savings, just to show how you're being forthcoming in reporting all your money transfers).

https://aseannow.com/topic/1306896-thai-government-to-tax-all-income-from-abroad-for-tax-residents-starting-2024/?do=findComment&comment=18599827

I think that is an opinion rather than fact. Unless the Thai RD is made aware of the nature of the income, it does not know whether it is assessible or not.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Guavaman said:

Technically

Not sure why people would think there would be a list of "Non-Assessable Income" as all Income is Tax Assessable & the fact that there is no tax due on it can only be ascertained after assessing it for tax. 

E.g. If income from an Inheritance is not taxable Thailand, then that's fine the income is assessed as being from an Inheritance & not taxed... It's still Tax assessable. 

Another example, UK Government Pensions, US SS etc... are not taxable in Thailand, again the income would be assessed as being a Government Pension/SS & would not taxed... It's still Tax Assessable.   

Practically

I am not saying the income has to be or will be assessed, things like advisory notices from the RD & DTAs allow us to short circuit the process & not declare certain incomes, but if the RD came to audit you, any Inheritance or Government Pensions/SS will be assessed & if found to be such, deemed not taxable. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Technically

Not sure why people would think there would be a list of "Non-assessable Income" as all Income is Tax Assessable & the fact that there is no tax due on it can only be ascertained after assessing it for tax. 

E.g. If income from an Inheritance is not taxable Thailand, then that's fine the income is assessed as being from an Inheritance & not taxed... It's still Tax assessable. 

Another example, UK Government Pensions US SS etc... are not taxable in Thailand, again the income would be assessed as being a Government Pension/SS & would not taxed... It's still Tax Assessable.   

Practically

I am not saying the income has to be or will be assessed, things like advisory notices from the RD & DTAs allow us to short circuit the process & not declare certain incomes, but if the RD came to audit you, any Inheritance or Government Pensions/SS will be assessed & if found to be such deemed not taxable. 

Yes I agree, there is definitely a problem with the over use of the word assessible and its context in the RD documentation which is now being picked up by others here. Assessible means to review, as you quite correctly point out. The problem though is that is the word in their official vocabulary so I was reluctant to change it in my write up. I have decided to continue to use the word assessible in the write up  but have qualified it up front under Terminology.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

With nearly 600 posts on the thread, were you looking in a mirror when you. typed the above ?

Haven't heard that in a while, not from an adult!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Guavaman said:

Same problem -- nothing personal. Many posters have used the term "non-assessable" according to their personal idiosyncratic definition of the term. What is assessable is up to the RD tax code and the tax assessor, not up to the opinion of the taxpayer. 

The problem has arisen due to so many posters using the term according to their own individual definition of the term, most often confusing the concept of exemption to mean non-assessment. With so many pages of posts with misuse of the term, it has taken on its' own meaning in this thread as defined by the crowd, rather than by the RD.

Exactly. But I think it's still useful to let people know what the Thai considers not assessible income to be hence I propose to leave it in my wrote up, unless others disagree.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

30. Tax filing in Thailand is based on the honor system, it relies on you declaring all the right information every year and there are severe penalties for avoiding Thai tax.

Self-assessment and self-reporting is how it works in the USofA. No sane person will want to play games with the I-R-S (Internal Revenue Service).

No one, as might happen in Thailand with the Thai RevDept., ever asks themselves as to the IRS: 

How will they ever find out if ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Self-assessment and self-reporting is how it works in the USofA. No sane person will want to play games with the I-R-S (Internal Revenue Service).

No one, as might happen in Thailand with the Thai RevDept., ever asks themselves as to the IRS: 

How will they ever find out if ...

A very valid point, especially given that many expats regard Thailand as third world with third word capabilities. I shall find a form of words! Thanks

54 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Exactly. But I think it's still useful to let people know what the Thai considers not assessible income to be hence I propose to leave it in my wrote up, unless others disagree.

While I will agree that Thai Rev does not seem to use the term "non-assessable" it's not like it isn't ever used elsewhere:

2024-01-07_07h42_03.png.8cdd04dc75b2357c70a7029c0b1948cc.png

Amounts you don't include
You may receive money that you don't need to include as assessable income in your tax return. You may still need to report these amounts so we can work out your tax losses or eligibility for tax offsets or benefits.

Amounts you don’t include as assessable income fall into 3 categories:

exempt income
non-assessable, non-exempt income
other non-taxable amounts.

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-and-families/income-deductions-offsets-and-records/income-you-must-declare/amounts-you-do-not-include-as-income

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

if you can find the time and the inclination that is!

Thank you for taking the time to post the above, your effort is appreciated. 

I certainly have the time and inclination to read the article you posted, what I did not have the time was to mine hundreds of paged of arguments concerning things that do not apply . 

I would appreciate a link to the actual web page, because the links to more specific information in your post do not work, I suspect you pastes as plain text, which made the links inoperable. something that I often also do. 

It seems to me that a new industry of expat tax specialist is about to join the ranks of visa agents. 

It seems that I am fortunate that my SSI and private pension are excluded and since the funds remitted by me do not exceed that income I fall below the “assessable”

I wonder how I would have to prove , if required that my income is derived from those sources and not other available to me . 

Anyway Thank you again.  

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for taking the time to post the above, your effort is appreciated. 

I certainly have the time and inclination to read the article you posted, what I did not have the time was to mine hundreds of paged of arguments concerning things that do not apply . 

I would appreciate a link to the actual web page, because the links to more specific information in your post do not work, I suspect you pastes as plain text, which made the links inoperable. something that I often also do. 

It seems to me that a new industry of expat tax specialist is about to join the ranks of visa agents. 

It seems that I am fortunate that my SSI and private pension are excluded and since the funds remitted by me do not exceed that income I fall below the “assessable”

I wonder how I would have to prove , if required that my income is derived from those sources and not other available to me . 

Anyway Thank you again.  

There are no links at this stage, I haven't inserted them. I'm trying to agree the narrative first.

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

While I will agree that Thai Rev does not seem to use the term "non-assessable" it's not like it isn't ever used elsewhere:

2024-01-07_07h42_03.png.8cdd04dc75b2357c70a7029c0b1948cc.png

Amounts you don't include
You may receive money that you don't need to include as assessable income in your tax return. You may still need to report these amounts so we can work out your tax losses or eligibility for tax offsets or benefits.

Amounts you don’t include as assessable income fall into 3 categories:

exempt income
non-assessable, non-exempt income
other non-taxable amounts.

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-and-families/income-deductions-offsets-and-records/income-you-must-declare/amounts-you-do-not-include-as-income

Agreed. Somebody did post a link to Thai RD Non-assessible income that forms part of the RD tax code so the term is in use here which is why I think it should be included in the write up.

11 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

There are no links at this stage, I haven't inserted them. I'm trying to agree the narrative first.

I saw this : "

24. A complete list of deductions, allowances and exemptions can be found here

25. LINK"

and thought that 

item 25 was a link to the above mentioned deductions.