Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Wait for what, if I understand this correctly these policies are affective Jan 1 2024  , it is now Jan 7th 2024 

Which policies are you speaking of? The ones that were in place before, but ignored for many years until now? Which ones in particular?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

<SNIP>

All the people named above will probably tell you that the new interpretation of the rules started on the 01 Jan 2024.

What none of them are sure of is what exactly the new interpretation covers.

One might even say that the new interpretation of the rules was proposed to start on 01 Jan 2024.  

3 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

One might even say that the new interpretation of the rules was proposed to start on 01 Jan 2024.  

Interesting

I was late to the party and thought with the ongoing hysterics it was set in stone rather than a mere proposal.

Which makes everything even more funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzzBlizz said:

Which policies are you speaking of? The ones that were in place before, but ignored for many years until now? Which ones in particular?

The provisions that expats would need to pay tax on some remittances. 

Was that always in place? If so why do we have to wait for info? If these policies were in place then there should be no problem to tell us what they are. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

There is a law enacted and applicable seven days ago but we will know the details at a future time? 

Do you know the difference between a new Law and a new interpretation of an existing Law ?

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

How can I make decisions in the meantime? 

Same as you did any other day, month, year.

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The provisions that expats would need to pay tax on some remittances. 

Was that always in place? If so why do we have to wait for info? If these policies were in place then there should be no problem to tell us what they are. 

REDUX

According to the Revenue Department, it will seek opinions from the stakeholders affected by the new rule and issue guidelines to provide more clarity. The plan includes an amendment of the personal income tax return form to facilitate the foreign tax credit claim.

https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Insights/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/Thailand-Tax-Foreign-Income-Taxable-from-2024

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

REDUX

According to the Revenue Department, it will seek opinions from the stakeholders affected by the new rule and issue guidelines to provide more clarity. The plan includes an amendment of the personal income tax return form to facilitate the foreign tax credit claim.

https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Insights/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/Thailand-Tax-Foreign-Income-Taxable-from-2024

Perhaps it has sought opinions from stakeholders and postponed for a couple of years, and just forgot to announce it.

Hence the sound of silence.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Isn't that the problem?

It is actually ridiculous !! There is a law enacted and applicable seven days ago but we will know the details at a future time?  How can I make decisions in the meantime? 

Crazy!! 

One of the few certain things right now is that, if you spend less than 180 days in any year in Thailand, you will owe nothing as you are not a Thai tax resident.

• Like 1

Don't get snarky with me.

"Interpretations of existing law ( if that's what you like to call it ) should be published before they are implemented. So I can conduct my affairs appropriately. 

Ah...."should be"!

I'm not a lawyer and I haven't studied the issue so I can't comment with any certainty. But it does seem to me that the Director of the Revenue can issue operational instructions to his staff which is what he seems to have done. He hasn't changed the law or tried to make a new one, he's merely sought a legal view and offered a new interpretation, which he now wishes to operationalize. We might wish for things to be done in a certain way but should not be surprised when in Thailand that they are not.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, the only problem with that is that it seems to override a law which was voted on in parliament - and you can't do that with a memo.

Once again, a new law vs an operational interpretation, I think people are grasping at straws by trying to argue this point.

So I can conduct my affairs appropriately. 

Do you think the Thai Gov / RD gives a 2nd thought to your affairs ?

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

should be published before they are implemented.

You do reside ( at least sometimes ) in Thailand ?

What should  happen, is more often than not, somewhat different here in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Once again, a new law vs an operational interpretation, I think people are grasping at straws by trying to argue this point.

Not really, the law still stands.

The law if I remember correctly is very specific about this subject, it's not some little oversight or loophole, it was addressed directly. Zero taxation from prior years.

Signed. Sealed. Delivered.

To change a law requires a vote in parliament and there hasn't been a vote, not yet anyway.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Not really, the law still stands.

The law if I remember correctly is very specific about this subject, it's not some little oversight or loophole, it was addressed directly. Zero taxation from prior years.

Signed. Sealed. Delivered.

To change a law requires a vote in parliament and there hasn't been a vote, not yet anyway.

I'm not a lawyer, I suspect you aren't either.

24 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm not a lawyer, I suspect you aren't either.

Correct, it's going to be interesting once the lawyers do get hold of this though. However I feel that won't happen until well inside 2025.

• Like 2

Just now, ukrules said:

Correct, it's going to be interesting once the lawyers do get hold of this though. However I feel that won't happen until well inside 2025.

I feel it may snow tomorrow. :)

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Considering, that many expats and long-term visa holders in Thailand are affected, has there been any attempt to consult them (or their embassies)?

Oh well, right there is the prime reason then, the expats weren't consulted first :cheesy:

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

This is crazy we are living under a new law, or a new interpretation of an old law. but we will not be told what that new law, or new interpretation of an old law  until later.What kind of BS is that? 

It is like getting into a football game and are told by the referees that the rules will be "interpreted different than they always were, but we will not tell you how until later.

Would you play under such rules? 

This is beyond crazy. 

The way I see this is,  whatever you were doing last year in respect of bringing income into Thailand that was earned in the same calendar year is exactly the same.  The only difference is that the "Same Calendar Year" now means "Any Calendar Year from 2024 onwards", so 2024 will be exactly the same. 

I think the problem for most people (& I certainly include myself in this) is that we don't fully understand the tax rules as they were before this change but have not needed to do so as we weren't bringing in income the same Calendar year it was earned, so I guess that if we did fully understand the rules prior to 1/1/2024, then we'd know exactly what the rules are now & how we'll be impacted going forward. 

Simple example, somebody remitting 100K pm from a private pension each month as the pension is paid, if they should have been paying tax on it in 2023 then they should be paying tax on it in 2024, 2025 etc... , if they shouldn't then they won't be paying tax on it in 2024, 2025 etc... The same is true of any income. 

So I guess the answer (to me) is that I need to fully understand the current rules as (to the RD) this is just a "Clarification"/"Tweak" to one part of the rules which they've already explained, so there's nothing more to explain. 

Now if I have questions on "What is assessable income", "How do DTAs impact my Tax Calculations", "Can I gift my partner money" etc... etc... etc... then nothing has changed in respect of these so I can't really expect the RD to think that they have to explain "any changes" to me. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1