Re-entry Permit Chiang Mai Immigration

DrPhibes

I have visited the Chiang Mai Immigration website and have downloaded the TM-8 form but can not find any instructions for documents needed or fees for a multi-entry one.  Also, can it be done at the Central Festival office or does it have to be at the Airport one and are there specific hrs to apply?  Anyone with recent experience on this that can help?  I'm hoping to not have to go there multiple times.  Thank you in advance!

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.
  • Thanks 1

Will you exit Thailand more than 3 times during the remaining time of your current Permission to Stay?  If not, it would be more economical to buy a Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit (1000,- THB) instead of the Multiple-Entry one (3.800,- THB). 

Note that you can also buy the Re-Entry Permit at all major Thai International Airports, so when exiting Thailand by air there is no need to make a trip to your local Imm Office to buy that Re-Entry Permit. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, arick said:

You need a photo 

They currently make use of these camera devices on a stick to take your picture for the Re-Entry Permit application, but indeed - in case that device is out of order - it would be prudent to also bring 2 pass-photos with you when applying for the Re-Entry Permit at the Imm service desk in the Airport. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mania said:

I always wanted to try the at the airport method but was always too afraid it might be closed or they wanted a form I didn't have etc etc thus blowing the yearly extension

If there is an international flight, the re-entry desk at the airport will always be open so there's no worry about it being closed.  I've gotten re-entry permits a couple of times in the past at the airport and both times it took no more than about 5-6 minutes (although I had the completed TM8 and required copies with me).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

If there is an international flight, the re-entry desk at the airport will always be open so there's no worry about it being closed.  I've gotten re-entry permits a couple of times in the past at the airport and both times it took no more than about 5-6 minutes (although I had the completed TM8 and required copies with me).

At CM the desk is now moved beyond the boarding pass check in for current departing passengers only....A helpful airport employee found 2 officers & they directed me to go to the CM Immigration office - they now only served actively departing passengers at CNX.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

They currently make use of these camera devices on a stick to take your picture for the Re-Entry Permit application, but indeed - in case that device is out of order - it would be prudent to also bring 2 pass-photos with you when applying for the Re-Entry Permit at the Imm service desk in the Airport. 

Obviously  you haven't got too many re-entries lately they want a photo that goes on the application and then they take a photo from their webcam.

Why does everybody on this website need to argue you need to take a photo in. 

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yep they want you to fill in all paperwork and attach photos, then they enter it in their system, then they make a photo of you, then they print out the exact form you first handed in and no idea why all the double work and need of a physical photo and of course they want your TM30 and 90 day report even if the instructions say they do not need. Also they want your e-mail and phone and wife's phone on the age old forms that they could easily make available as digital fill-in PDF forms so it is readable for anyone and can be processed much faster. Also they could get rid of the huge amount of redundant copies they already got last time and are in their system anyway. Do I need punctuation? Yes. It is still an inefficient bureaucratic paper mess with flexible requirements depending on officer and location. TiT.

Btw official handbook description:

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/5Public-Handbook.pdf

No mention of TM30 or 90day. But ofcourse that won't help you argue at CM imm.

Edited by Blablaat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Blablaat said:

Heck even if you have successfully applied for residency, you still need a re-entry permit.

And waiting queue takes forever. Makes you do a multi reentry just to skip the lines next time.

Pro tip: get yours inside the airport prior to your flight.  Takes just minutes.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, arick said:

Obviously  you haven't got too many re-entries lately they want a photo that goes on the application and then they take a photo from their webcam.

Why does everybody on this website need to argue you need to take a photo in. 

Because at Suvarnabhumi Airport, I did NOT need to give them a pass-photo.  I made use of the 200,- THB Re-Entry Permit Service desk, which only needs your passport and then prepares everything for you (the photo being taken by their webcam) and you then hand that prepared application to the Immigration office 10 meter to the right.

But I recommend taking 2 passphotos with you, in case the webcam is out of order (or when they suddenly change rules, and a pass-photo becomes a necessity again).