Sofar On-Grid Inverter firmware updates. Any luck?

MJCM

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I don't think you'll ever achieve exactly zero export, we seem to bumble around 10W either way according to my separate meter (don't trust what the inverter says).

There should be a CT calibration setting somewhere so you can tweek what it sees, maybe adjust so you are always importing a tiny amount? 

oooh that is good to know (or not)

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@MJCMsince you've now got contact with Sofar you could ask them how to prevent the meter creeping backwards.

To be honest, a 10W creep probably isn't ever going to be noticed by the meter man, he's really only interested in the numbers and any blatant banging the meter in reverse.

Sofar takes foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer to respond.

And it's NOT only 10W I have seen figures of 50W

I have been looking at ALL settings (which took forever because of that ???? way of putting in the password) and nowhere a settings is to be found to tweak. Maybe its a hidden feature of pushing all buttons while standing on your head thingy ????

Will send them ANOTHER email

Another option I can't seem to enable is INPUT Type, 2 options in there Parallel and Independent. For 2 strings (which I have) they recommend independent, but after I have set it, next time it switches back to Parallel.

1st string = 7x 550W

2nd string = 3 x 335W

Yeah strange combo, but that is because of room for the panels constraints, the place for many more panels (see picture) is current flooded so work cannot commence to put in the columns for the support.

1310211516_intended_locationforPanels.JPG.57c258bdefc8eae0ba21e8f72bc7267f.JPG

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

For 2 strings (which I have) they recommend independent, but after I have set it, next time it switches back to Parallel.

Is there a "save" button or similar?

Certainly with the hybrid pretty much any setting needs a confirm of some sort.

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Is there a "save" button or similar?

Certainly with the hybrid pretty much any setting needs a confirm of some sort.

Yes Save Button is there, it is holding one button DOWN long enough and the screen will say something like SUC6 (or Suc7 or whatever) done it 10s of times already, before the FW update and after.

buttons.JPG.8eadcd552394cf7e1646be02042a67f5.JPG

So pressing "v" is same as saving the option

Edit: This is what my manual says about  Input type

Set Input mode
SOFAR 3K~6KTLM-G3 has two MPPT channels, which can run
independently or in parallel. Users choose the operation mode of MPPT
according to the system design. Parallel mode is applicable to the case where
two channels are in parallel, independent mode is applicable to the case where two channels of MPPT run independently, and the default mode is independent mode.

In mine default mode is Parallel :crazy:

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You definitely need Sofar.

That interface is nothing like either of our Sofar inverters.

Yes or a new Inverter ???? (read brand 55555555)

The biggest problem is that the manual totally doesn't match my Inverter. I have many more options then there are listed in the Manual.

Another issue was for example the CT pins, my manual says 4 and 5 and another said 15-16. (or 14-15 can't recall)

With 4-5 it wouldn't work, with 15-16 (or 14-15) it works as it does now

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Yes or a new Inverter ???? (read brand 55555555)

The biggest problem is that the manual totally doesn't match my Inverter. I have many more options then there are listed in the Manual.

Another issue was for example the CT pins, my manual says 4 and 5 and another said 15-16. (or 14-15 can't recall)

With 4-5 it wouldn't work, with 15-16 (or 14-15) it works as it does now

There is only one thing worse than having no manual.

That is having a manual that is wrong!!

Part of my real job is validating user manuals; these can be several hundred pages. They are always wrong until at least Rev.C :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Got a reply, i had send them the graph which clearly shows the “ghost” export and the reply they gave me was set power to 0kW which it already has set to.

Did you tell them it's already set to 0kW (and a photo of the screen)? They might be able to tweek the parameters for you. I've actually found them very helpful once you get the conversation going.

Also, any response for your MPPT setting problem? If you really are running those mis-matched strings in parallel you could be losing a lot of generation ???? 

Also, does the Remote Control option in Solarman Smart work with on-grid inverters?

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Also, does the Remote Control option in Solarman Smart work with on-grid inverters?

Yep, I have Reflux disabled because of the BAD weather, and he changed it back to enabled to test. I have reminded him that if he changes a setting to test to set it back to original and let me know what he has changed

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Did you tell them it's already set to 0kW (and a photo of the screen)?

Yep, I send them a full screenshot, but they have access to ALL info anyway, but he is just looking at today and not what I have noticed in the last couple of days.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Also, any response for your MPPT setting problem? If you really are running those mis-matched strings in parallel you could be losing a lot of generation ???? 

NOPE

I can disconnect the 3x335W panels and will check if that makes any difference

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I can disconnect the 3x335W panels and will check if that makes any difference

Yeah, do try that. If the inputs really are parallel those panels would slug the output of the longer string. I don't really know what "parallel" does, it may not actually connect the strings physically.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, do try that. If the inputs really are parallel those panels would slug the output of the longer string. I don't really know what "parallel" does, it may not actually connect the strings physically.

I disconnected them via the Breaker and the output drops slightly (0.2kW) it's a very cloudy day here, production is down to approx 1kW max. But that said on the day of that we hooked everything up, we got approx 2-3kW production approx same weather conditions.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

I disconnect them via the Breaker and the output drops slightly (0.2kW) it's a very cloudy day here, production is down to approx 1kW max. But that said on the day of that we hooked everything up, we got approx 2-3kW production approx same weather conditions.

OK, thinking about it I suspect "parallel" doesn't really do much physically, maybe it just modifies the way the MPPTs track.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

OK, thinking about it I suspect "parallel" doesn't really do much physically, maybe it just modifies the way the MPPTs track.

Thx, but I am still looking for a new inverter. Just a cheap On-grid 5kW with 2x MPPT one.

Hybrid research will be for later.

Need to prove to SWMBO that the investment in this was worth it. At the moment the (now disconnected) GTI's are beating the real Inverter hands down. (I don't agree with that, but my wife looks at the meter reading and she only see those number so doesn't see the real benefit of a real inverter yet.)

Overall my install is working great

Some figures (from just now)  with not even full sunshine the install is doing as follows

producing: 3.54kW
consumption: 310W
PV1: 254,4V - 11,72A = 2.98kW
PV2: 92,6V - 7.46A = 690W

So not bad for all the panels and the combi of them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Overall my install is working great

Some figures (from just now)  with not even full sunshine the install is doing as follows

producing: 3.54kW
consumption: 310W
PV1: 254,4V - 11,72A = 2.98kW
PV2: 92,6V - 7.46A = 690W

So not bad for all the panels and the combi of them

And, it looks like your strings are working independently despite what the inverter settings say ???? 

Small update.

User of same model inverter as yours reports zero export when anti reflux is enabled and its power set to zero (2kw strings set independent). He checks this by viewing the street meter and a bi-direction energy meter on the main feed when solar production is greater than house consumption.

His display reads Reflux Enable when anti reflux is enabled and goes back to Normal if the CT is disconnected or reversed.

There are many variations of firmware inside these inverters often based on the country they were intended for.  Having the incorrect manual in the box and the inability to change country code is a red flag. I hope Sofar have not got crossed wires over your inverter type and sent the wrong firmware.

The proper factory included manual for this range of inverters is shown below.

zcapture22.jpg.e6b74fac489d0c2283b9059393e30214.jpg

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

Small update.

User of same model inverter as yours reports zero export when anti reflux is enabled and its power set to zero (2kw strings set independent). He checks this by viewing the street meter and a bi-direction energy meter on the main feed when solar production is greater than house consumption.

His display reads Reflux Enable when anti reflux is enabled and goes back to Normal if the CT is disconnected or reversed.

There are many variations of firmware inside these inverters often based on the country they were intended for.  Having the incorrect manual in the box and the inability to change country code is a red flag. I hope Sofar have not got crossed wires over your inverter type and sent the wrong firmware.

The proper factory included manual for this range of inverters is shown below.

zcapture22.jpg.e6b74fac489d0c2283b9059393e30214.jpg

I have the same manual and in my case it's totally not Up to Par.

One example where the manual is different is PIN assignments for CT.

Another example, more options in my iNverter then there are listed in the Manual

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

I also do that and I see the meter going backwards (although (again as said) ) ever so slowly when AR is enabled and power is set to zero.

(In my setup) there is definitely GHOST Export. I have again send an email to them to Explain that and they have not yet responded. You pointed that out also in a previous post.

Have those people checked the Sofar app and enabled Feed-in Power? To check if it actually is NOT exporting (because when AR = Enabled and Power set to 0 then the EXPORT (feed-in) should remain zero

Edit: Here the manual I have (NO idea why you post a picture of it, but in the mean time I have several versions of it)

Clipboard01.jpg.73db5066c06435c8d6565ee6352ebce3.jpg

18 hours ago, MJCM said:

Edit: Here the manual I have (NO idea why you post a picture of it, but in the mean time I have several versions of it)

I posted a photo of the manual to see if you have the exact match.

18 hours ago, MJCM said:

Have those people checked the Sofar app and enabled Feed-in Power? To check if it actually is NOT exporting (because when AR = Enabled and Power set to 0 then the EXPORT (feed-in) should remain zero

They do not use any apps. Data is collected from the inverter and separate energy meter manually. My brother-in-law commissioned the inverter, he is very thorough when checking to see if the street meter shows any negative metering. The owner prefers not to give PEA any net metering evidence and always checks his meter after switching to no export. 

18 hours ago, MJCM said:

One example where the manual is different is PIN assignments for CT.

In the correct manual pins 15 and 16 are CT, pins 5 and 6 are the meter RS485 which is an alternative to using a CT.
It would be interesting to see how the table in your manual differs from the table below.

Anyway, to avoid complicating the issue with more checks I will leave you in the hands of Sofar. 

88.JPG.6dd8cf93f3fadb96930d8a17128a66ad.JPG

17 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

n the correct manual pins 15 and 16 are CT, pins 5 and 6 are the meter RS485 which is an alternative to using a CT.
It would be interesting to see how the table in your manual differs from the table below.

I already explained it that the PIN assignments where different, but here you go with a scan of the page.

scan.JPG.d48aecca87bc019421771490900ad443.JPG

17 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Anyway, to avoid complicating the issue with more checks I will leave you in the hands of Sofar. 

55555555555555 (hands of sofar), one week on and we got nowhere. I already made a shortlist of a new ON-Grid inverter (different brand) to replace this one.

Edited by MJCM

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Here you go

manual.JPG.bf2bf424dce654c746c1292a0b488ae2.JPG

So that leaves me nowhere.

That is just crazy and you really should take this to Sofar before attempting any more firmware changes. It is possible they have several  versions which changed in production over time.  They should know what version you have from the serial number.

You should send this to Sofar and ask why it differs

5 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

You should send this to Sofar and ask why it differs

Dont' you .................... think that I already did this? That was in the first emails I have send and I after I posted a thread about asking for an accurate Manual for this.

The day I posted that thread was the day we started to commission the inverter. Since then we are running into these issues

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg

But leave it be, I am already wasting too much time and what else on this.

I am talking with my installer and we are shortlisting NEW inverters to replace this one (different brand)

edit another topic already exists

Edited by MJCM