Loei’s watery woes: Torrential rain drowns 60 homes and more

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-09-20-103904.jpg

Relentless downpours over the past week have led to extensive flooding in Loei province, northeastern Thailand, submerging more than 60 residences, agricultural land, government structures, and even a central sports field. The continuous precipitation has triggered the overflow of numerous tributaries, with particular emphasis on the Loei River, the province’s primary watercourse.

While water levels in the Loei River have recently receded in areas like Phu Luang, Wang Saphung districts, and Loei’s municipal region, the floodwaters persist in causing havoc, especially in low-lying zones adjacent to the riverbanks in the Chaiyaphruek area of Loei’s central district.

Villages such as Kaeng Pla, Na Bon, and other residential areas have borne the brunt of this deluge, with over 60 houses submerged, roads and pathways impassable, and agricultural land suffering significant damage due to the relentless Loei flooding.

The local government unit, the Chaiyaphruek Subdistrict Municipality, dispatched officials to distribute box meals and survival bags and to assess the damage to affected residents.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo: KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

19 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Lot of sympathy on this site as usual 

By the usual actors of course. That's why folks like them go on my 'ignore user' list and stay there. It serves to keep my stress levels under control!

Parts of our village suffered earlier this week and the water came to within 30cm of getting into our yard, so I have a lot of sympathy for the folks who have to endured flooding like this.

On the other hand I'm amazed at how stoic these people can be. They just carry on with their lives without any drama. It's all just part of the cycle of life it seems.

In fact they even see opportunity in adversity. It's amazing how many farmers have morphed into fishing folk over the last few days. The nets have been out all over the place.

• Like 1

Not as severe as Loei, but here just outside Udon Thani, for the first time in 2 weeks the garden is no longer flooded and only one of 3 routes out of the village is still  under water. Ponds have been overflowing also. Overall, just as wet as last year (and maybe not finished yet).

Meanwhile, in Central Thailand supposedly still suffering from a lack of water.... wish i owned a pipeline for exporting water!