What are you growing this year?

I’ve just started sowing seeds to starter pots and some to direct planting - all ‘no till’.

My vegetable and herb crops this year, all things being equal include:

Italian plum, Da Salsa Scipio, Franchi seeds.

Tomatoes, Marmande 

Tomatoes, local variety.

Spinach - America, Sutton Seeds

Broccoli

Caulitate, seed saved.

Savoy Cabbage, Sutton Seeds.

Spring Onions, White Lisbon 

Shallots

Runner Beans, Verve

Lakota Squash

Buttercup Squash

Sweed

Zucchini

Beetroot, Boltardy

Romanesco

Bell Peppers

Mixed lettuce

Morning Glory

Basil

Oregano

Thyme

Sage

Garlic

I’m thinking of adding sweet potatoes, cumin and carrots.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Figs, green/red peppers (expensive stuff), and tomatoes, since we eat a lot.  Beefsteaks not doing well, tasty but small.  Others fine.  Asparagus & broccoli ... waiting for some results.  Others just for the hell of it, and see if they take,  citrus trees, grapes.  

Durian, slow going, and bananas & papaya, just a couple as simply yield too much when ready.  Some herbs and greens; kale, lettuces & such.

Nothing 'bulbus', potatoes, onions or such, as fail miserably, so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Figs, green/red peppers (expensive stuff), and tomatoes, since we eat a lot.  Beefsteaks not doing well, tasty but small.  Others fine.  Asparagus & broccoli ... waiting for some results.  Others just for the hell of it, and see if they take,  citrus trees, grapes.  

Durian, slow going, and bananas & papaya, just a couple as simply yield too much when ready.  Some herbs and greens; kale, lettuces & such.

Nothing 'bulbus', potatoes, onions or such, as fail miserably, so far.

I have asparagus growing from the last two years but I’m leaving it to establish before I start cropping,

My figs fruit bit then the fruit drops before ripening,

I grew kale last year and it was very successful, I might give it another go this year.

My main crop is limes, I grow barrows full of limes.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

The intense heat of Isaan, along with deficient soil riddled with pathogens, prevents me from growing a lot of stuff. I can just about get away with growing cherry tomatoes in pots on bought in soil. Otherwise, none of the members of that family (aubergines, peppers, etc) will grow here. Onions and garlic won't do much either, in fact many in the village have given up growing anything at all.  We do have an impressive chili pepper growing near the compost heap between paving stones.

These days I just let a lot of stuff grow wherever birds or my wife have scattered seeds, this includes papaya, pumpkins, basil, tomatoes, coriander, and thankfully I can't seem to get rid of ginger and turmeric.

I sow Pak Choi, increasingly rely on perennials, such as peppercorn, Ya Nang, Chai-ya, Moringa (an important veg, worth looking at), Pak bung as well as elephant foot yams and the like, a lot of which feeds the ducks. These can be a little difficult to grow well but I enjoy learning.

I got past the stage of trying to grow the stuff I was growing up in the Swiss mountains and will buy brocolli and red cabbage. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

My figs fruit bit then the fruit drops before ripening,

We had figs, the first crop in the second year also dropped before ripening. We then had bumper crops for three years, the figs then all decided to die. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, cooked said:

The intense heat of Isaan, along with deficient soil riddled with pathogens, prevents me from growing a lot of stuff. I can just about get away with growing cherry tomatoes in pots on bought in soil. Otherwise, none of the members of that family (aubergines, peppers, etc) will grow here. Onions and garlic won't do much either, in fact many in the village have given up growing anything at all.  We do have an impressive chili pepper growing near the compost heap between paving stones.

These days I just let a lot of stuff grow wherever birds or my wife have scattered seeds, this includes papaya, pumpkins, basil, tomatoes, coriander, and thankfully I can't seem to get rid of ginger and turmeric.

I sow Pak Choi, increasingly rely on perennials, such as peppercorn, Ya Nang, Chai-ya, Moringa (an important veg, worth looking at), Pak bung as well as elephant foot yams and the like, a lot of which feeds the ducks. These can be a little difficult to grow well but I enjoy learning.

I got past the stage of trying to grow the stuff I was growing up in the Swiss mountains and will buy brocolli and red cabbage. 

Have you considered raised beds?

You could fill those with the compost you make.

See Mark on the ‘self sufficient me’ YouTube channel, he has some very good ideas and experience to share.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Have you considered raised beds?

You could fill those with the compost you make.

See Mark on the ‘self sufficient me’ YouTube channel, he has some very good ideas and experience to share.

Well after 40 years as a landscape gardener, maybe I did. In the tropics it takes about 6 months max for any pathogens to make their way through the new soil and establish itself. 

I now expect Drtreelove to come along telling people that they are indulging in poor soil management and advising the use of some obscure expensive product only to be found South of the Pecos.

A bit rude, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 8:20 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve just started sowing seeds to starter pots and some to direct planting - all ‘no till’.

My vegetable and herb crops this year, all things being equal include:

Italian plum, Da Salsa Scipio, Franchi seeds.

Tomatoes, Marmande 

Tomatoes, local variety.

Spinach - America, Sutton Seeds

Broccoli

Caulitate, seed saved.

Savoy Cabbage, Sutton Seeds.

Spring Onions, White Lisbon 

Shallots

Runner Beans, Verve

Lakota Squash

Buttercup Squash

Sweed

Zucchini

Beetroot, Boltardy

Romanesco

Bell Peppers

Mixed lettuce

Morning Glory

Basil

Oregano

Thyme

Sage

Garlic

I’m thinking of adding sweet potatoes, cumin and carrots.

I never has success with spring onions.  What is your secret?

• 3 weeks later...