Does anything really matter?

bob smith

17 hours ago, bob smith said:

how many of us can remember our great grandparents and what they did with their lives? does anyone spare a thought for them? Do you care?

My great grandparents were born in the 1850s ....... not much chance of me remembering them.

My parents were born in 1910 and 1914, they've been gone a while.

But I have photos.

As for anything mattering, you're right nothing really matters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing matters.

We should at least attempt to move through the world as frictionlessly as possible if we are not striving for change.

It's up to you to make it matter. To find a purpose to your life. Our purpose will change and that's a good thing but we all need one. Without it men tend to get depressed, into trouble or both.

Edited by PassportBro
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JayClay said:

I occasionally have prolonged periods of time kill. At times like that, a Bigbob thread or too can be provide a nice amount of filler.

If I don't have the time, it's easy enough to spot one of his threads and just scroll past them.

i read the threads from them as others comment. just have no desire to read their input....

On 9/23/2023 at 1:13 PM, bob smith said:

the more i think of it, the more i think that nothing in life really matters.

we will all be dead within 50 years or so. such a small and insignificant amount of time on the grand timeline of the universe.

how many of us can remember our great grandparents and what they did with their lives? does anyone spare a thought for them? Do you care?

do whatever you want. (within reason, without exploiting/harming others)

dont be hindered by guilt,

when we are on our deathbed we are going to regret the things we didnt do.

time waits for no man.

live your life the way you want to.

balls to everyone else. 

Philosophy for beginners .

Life matters , evolution is essential for the survival of the species , what an individual does in the few years it has , can become important for the survival of everything .

Life is nothing but a test if a species is intelligent enough to ensure it's own survival by keeping or restoring the natural balance of ecosystems and biosphere .

Ah yes, the regret problem on one's death bed,

I just rationalize I made the proper decisions with the information or circumstances at hand, 

and would most likely do the same again.

Does anything matter ?, 

Some physicists speculate we may just be a simulation, entertainment for a higher AI,

or maybe it's just "42", (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), lol

• Like 1

Just now, 2baht said:

.........................in the meantime.....................................? ????

Most of it is BS anyway. Took me a long time to work that out, but now I assume everything is BS till proven otherwise.

After I pass over I'll be forgotten in less than a year. No family, no kids. It'll be like I never existed. So, no, I don't matter.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Life is nothing but a test if a species is intelligent enough to ensure it's own survival by keeping or restoring the natural balance of ecosystems and biosphere .

That would be a fail for humanity then. We don't keep and we definitely ain't restoring the natural balance of ecosystems and biosphere. All we do as a species is destroy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why? Does anything matter? Do we matter?

The number of humans that do anything to change our civilization is infinitesimal, and the rest of us just exist for a while and then depart. Once the people that think about us die, nothing is left except perhaps a name on a gravestone.

Eventually, IMO the human race will also depart, and at most be an historical item for the next species to have intelligence.

What are your lifes achievments???

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I did a good job wherever and whatever I did, but none of it mattered soon as I left a job. Never had a past employer sending me a Christmas card saying thanks for my hard work. Come to that, I never even see anyone I worked with as all over the world.

No family to remember me. Never did anything to change people's lives. I just grew up, worked, retired and eventually I'll be no more than smoke up the chimney. They won't write books about me or make movies about my life.

Do I care? Not at all, because it doesn't matter.

You need a pet! A gold fish or a few budgerigars?