Battery charger with Uk plug, can I change it to a Thailand plug

essex boys

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Why not just swap it for a grounded 3 pin Thai style plug available at most electrical shops in Thailand?

3 pin plug.jpeg

I found that about half the outlets in Thai hotels don't accept the 3 pin plugs.  Even fewer accept the round pins, as opposed to the 3 flat pin style.  Most outlet's I've encountered in hotels have a 2 flat pin and a 3 flat pin receptacle on one plate. 

Not that I suspect the OP will be using his drill in hotels, just that his home outlets may be similar.

If it were me, I'd keep using the adapter.  The skill level and tools required to cut it off and replace it with a 2 blade plug are pretty easy.  But why risk it?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, essex boys said:

Hi all, I e got a 12v Milwaukee drill I bought it from the Uk when I moved here, I e got a Uk plug adapter so i can still charge the batteries, just wondering how easy or safe it is to switch the 3 pin Uk plug for a two pin Thai plug

It depends on your level of knowledge. From your question I would estimate that your knowledge is not that high, so you can’t tell if the earth pin is connected or not. It probably isn’t but then that’s a probability not a certainty. If the earth pin is used then changing it to a 2 pin plug is not a good idea.

For myself it’s a trivial simple safe job, but then virtually all the sockets in my house are able to have U.K. plugs plugged in with no adapter, so I would be unlikely to change it anyway.

On 9/24/2023 at 8:04 PM, essex boys said:

switch the 3 pin Uk plug for a two pin Thai plug

Do you have a photo of the nameplate on the charger?

It will show whether a 2 or 3 pin plug will suffice.

Look for a "double insulated" symbol which I suspect it will be.

Any other comments are irrelevant until one knows this info.

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, essex boys said:

Hi all thanks for the responses and advice,

@sometimewoodworker I’m not an electrician but despite my level of knowledge not being that high as you put it, the third pin or earth is blank it’s just a plastic prong to fit into a 3pin Uk socket 

On 9/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, essex boys said:

just wondering how easy or safe it is to switch the 3 pin Uk plug for a two pin Thai plug

In that case it is a trivial safe job for anyone with even a minimal number of tools.

4 hours ago, Martyjustice said:

Be forwarned it will work but not safe in a wet environment. 240 kills, 120 just hurts. 

That is a totally untrue myth. 120V is just as capable of killing you as 240V. The reason for the USA being stuck in the dark ages along with very very few other countries has nothing to do with it being any less dangerous.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, essex boys said:

@sometimewoodworker I’m not an electrician but despite my level of knowledge not being that high as you put it, the third pin or earth is blank it’s just a plastic prong to fit into a 3pin Uk socket 

Don't let that bother you, that bloke is just a dilutie as well with a (sometimes) good internet connection.

Edited by bluejets
  • Sad 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:44 AM, Martyjustice said:

If it was me I would swap to a standard US type flat two blade plug. Be forwarned it will work but not safe in a wet environment. 240 kills, 120 just hurts. 

Which is why one should either have an RCD in the breaker box or one of the separate sort.

Should always use a safety cut out of some sort when possible.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

21 hours ago, essex boys said:

Then you can use an adaptor without an earth pin.

Is the drill double earthed? If not need to use a safety cut out somewhere in the wiring.