Walking on ice

BenStark

Lived in Bangkok.  Visited many malls and shops. Even during rainy conditions. Never fell or even slipped.  Nor did I ever see anyone else do so. I’m sure people have.  But not on a frequent basis. 
Whenever I did slip in my life.  It was usually due to the condition of the soles of the shoes.  Such as worn spots.  Or icy conditions during winter months.

47 minutes ago, transam said:

Dr. Martins are not really non-slip, I wore their boots and Chelsea's for years....????

I wore them for work for 30 years in all weathers, never a slip. The most comfortable shoes/boots I ever wore too.

I can't think of any other "dress shoe" with better grip. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

I think the OP should get a health check at a hospital.

I think you should have a mental health check up as you obviously can't read, because I never mentioned that I have issues with stability, but that my footwear slides.

I can actually enter the store running, then slide to the first counter.

Edited by BenStark
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BenStark said:

<snip> I never mentioned that I have issues with stability, but that my footwear slides.

I can actually enter the store running, then slide to the first counter.

Shoes with rubber soles are the answer.

Loads of information here ... https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=best+footwear+for+working+on+a+slippery+surface

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Shoes with rubber soles are the answer.

Thanks, I figured that out now, and at least you comprehend what is written in the OP.

It amazes me how many people with issues are active on this forum, and in this thread, who resort to insults like use a walking frame, or do a health check up, while the only thing I ever mentioned is that floors at shops are slippery for me.

Anyone with a working brain should be able to comprehend that slippery floors, and stability issues which I never mentioned , are a completely different thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Thanks, I figured that out now, and at least you comprehend what is written in the OP.

It amazes me how many people with issues are active on this forum, and in this thread, who resort to insults like use a walking frame, or do a health check up, while the only thing I ever mentioned is that floors at shops are slippery for me.

Anyone with a working brain should be able to comprehend that slippery floors, and stability issues which I never mentioned , are a completely different thing.

When you post anything on Aseannow you need to be prepared to receive funny, sarcastic, insulting, and crazy replies. But, most often (IME) you will get the helpful and constructive information you are seeking. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:03 AM, advancebooking said:

Last yr in the rainy season I was leaving a light shop with steep steps going down. I slipped and nearly seriously injured myself. I told them to put anti slip tape. I was there 1 week ago and still the same. No one sues each other here. Therefore lack of awareness. Try that in the States...

same at my BKK condo around the swimming pool. Polished granite around the pool like ice when it rains or water from the pool. People slip and fall often especially new comers or visitors. Been the same for years. Anti-slip tape has been suggested but it hasn't happened.

I totally agree with the OP. I assume he is older than me, but that is just an assumption. I have slipped several times, but my reflexes are still intact enough to not fall. 
Those beautiful, shiny, tiled floors!  Give me a decade or two and I will probably be in the hospital with a broken leg or hip. It’s crazy, I know. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

The ones writing here that the tiles are never a problem for them are probably just not at the age where their balance is off, and they don't have pain in their legs which keeps one from being able to stabilize quickly on slippery tiles.

Might be, but would that not be a problem wherever you are? Tiles are sometimes glazed and slippery, or have another better finish for what you describe. Still the problem here, is not related to the different floors. This is an age problem, which might come to some people or everyone with age and time. The solution is to be more careful, move slower and not to blame the floors or the ones who try to keep them clean.

18 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Don’t go shopping unless you are accompanied by your nurse ¯\_()_/¯

Funny you should mention this because my regular tuk tuk driver usually accompanies me when I go shopping or sightseeing etc. to help me maintain stability, being an old fart with dodgy legs!

I've nearly killed myself in hotel showers here when they seem to design them with a form over function mentality and as soon a the floor is soapy its lethal... 

However, with shopping malls etc I've never had an issue, so I suspect its the footwear. 

The only issue I do have is with one style of shoes I have (OnRunning Cloud) - after about 1.5 years the rubber sole turns a little brittle and plasticy - then it gets slippy - its happened to a couple of pairs so I stopped buying them. 

I also have some dress shoes (with leather souls) used for 'fancy stuff' and they can be a little slippy in hotel lobbies.

Could the Ops soles be getting a little plastcy due to environmental conditions here ?

Shoe manufacturers have been experimenting with sole materials for years, plastic, vinyls etc.

Some of these compounds degrade with age and or heat, in cold climates can split in half.

Folk can buy really nice looking leather soled dress type shows, not knowing the sole is mainly plastic with a bit of leather stuck to the bottom as thick as a fag paper, plus much of this type the leather is cr@p, soaking up water like a sponge and becomes slippery....????

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I also have some dress shoes (with leather souls) used for 'fancy stuff' and they can be a little slippy in hotel lobbies.

Could the Ops soles be getting a little plastcy due to environmental conditions here ?

I wear dress shoes, as unlike most in this thread can afford and wear quality footwear :-), but have the same issue when occasionally wearing slippers.

Only when wearing gyms I don't have the issue, and I think I posted that earlier in this thread already

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I wear dress shoes, as unlike most in this thread can afford and wear quality footwear :-), but have the same issue when occasionally wearing slippers.

Only when wearing gyms I don't have the issue, and I think I posted that earlier in this thread already

Listen to him, hi-so or what.................:unsure:

What brand are your expensive dress shoes, Bata.....?  ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Listen to him, hi-so or what.................:unsure:

What brand are your expensive dress shoes, Bata.....?  ????

As it is clear from your post history that you can't afford quality of anything, i'm not gonna waste time on educating you.

Have a nice day

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

As it is clear from your post history that you can't afford quality of anything, i'm not gonna waste time on educating you.

Have a nice day

I have 2 pairs of welted (if you know what that means) leather soled shoes here in LOS, a pair of black brogues and a pair of Tan ankle boots, think both bought in Drury Lane, London.

Both pairs must be 30+ years old now, still like new, so I think you maybe jumping to conclusions regarding ol' Trans footwear.....????