How to deal with a chicken problem

Na Fan

15 minutes ago, quake said:

How many swings of the pipe did it take to get it. 5,6. 10 :cheesy:

They are nimble little buggers.

Truth be known I did not mean to kill it.  It was a big defiant bugger (fighting cock bloodlines) and stood its ground.  It was in my herb garden and had already destroyed a number of my GF's plants.  I just intended to rap it with the pipe and did so with just a modicum of force.  Thing dropped dead.  

So I just weighed it, got GF to check price of Ghai Ban in our village, taped a plastic bag with the per kg payment to the bird and threw it in the neighbors yard.

Other neighbors were thankful to be rid of the bird as well.

Edited by Adumbration

18 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Truth be known I did not mean to kill it.  It was a big defiant bugger (fighting cock bloodlines) and stood its ground.  It was in my herb garden and had already destroyed a number of my GF's plants.  I just intended to rap it with the pipe and did so with just a modicum of force.  Thing dropped dead.  

So I just weighed it, got GF to check price of Ghai Ban in our village, taped a plastic bag with the per kg payment to the bird and threw it in the neighbors yard.

Some times you just get lucky. :cheesy:

15 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I had a similar problem because a sh*t eating neighbor decided to start breeding chickens next door.  I warned him several times his chooks were coming in and destroying my herb garden. After three warnings I killed the rooster with a length of pvc pipe, weighed it, then paid him per kg compensation.

Why are expats so scared to stand up for themselves here?

Why are expats so scared to stand up for themselves here?....And Why Don't Thai's Complain about their Neighbours Noisy Dogs ??

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Other neighbors were thankful to be rid of the bird as well......But THEY Left it to YOU To do something about it, Thai's Won't complain as they don't like to get into any Confrontations !!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

Where you living? Rural village? This is normal everywhere in Thailand, and almost impossible to escape anywhere, except inside a foreigner gated community, or buy big enough land and build your dream house without neighbour's. 

Where you living? Rural village?.......Certainly NOT.........buy big enough land...Don't Need To,My Wife has 75 Rai But We Can't sell our house to make the move.....O.K. .

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right about the Thai roads.

IMO your philosophy won't work too well in a bar with half a dozen Thais, or in the aftermath of a road accident.

I don't think I am a coward, just not a testosterone-fuelled idiot.

More piffle.  You don't need to be violent or aggresive to assert your rights.  Perhaps if you learnt some Thai you would be able to communicate properly.

Edited by Adumbration

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It says near your name you are a rookie member ...? There are plenty of reasons to avoid conflict with your Thai neignbours. One might be being elderly and frail. And if you ended up in front of the police I would say usually you are on the losing side.... protecting family might be a good reason to avoid conflict.

More piffle.  I have sued police here sucessfully.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Just common sense . It doesn't take much for a spineless coward to pull a trigger. It happens everywhere. Protecting yourself or family is a given, using whatever force is needed. If it's going to be you or them , it will be them, period. Still have to be wise. No matter how much you know or how strong you might be, a bullet can take anyone down. It's best to diffuse situations and make friends. It isn't being scared but smart. I wouldn't hesitate to put someone down with whatever I can get my hands on if they are threatening my child, but if they have a gun, you need to back down and try to reason with them first. Revenge can be taken months later, and a coward will do whatever they can to get even, usually when you least expect it. I'm a hunter, and sold guns, and used them a thousand times, but no one's bulletproof. It's not a fear but preservation.

I do not make friends with people I do not like or respect.  I have many good Thai friends and many in my village.  Several of them help me get one of my speedboats back in the water yesterday in preparation for the coming diving and fishing season.

For the record I have personally seen three people shot here...and two that were stabbed.

Live in fear if you want.  Entirely up to you.  But tell me.  Do you also refrain from never ever driving or riding on a Thai road.  That is highest risk activity you will ever engage in while in this country.

14 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Do you also refrain from never ever driving or riding on a Thai road.  That is highest risk activity you will ever engage in while in this country.

Not true.

Fighting off a lady boy, trying to nick your gold chain,  is right up there.

The Stiletto heel ninjas of Thailand.

Watch out for the hole in the head move.  nasty business.  :giggle:

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I do not make friends with people I do not like or respect.  I have many good Thai friends and many in my village.  Several of them help me get one of my speedboats back in the water yesterday in preparation for the coming diving and fishing season.

For the record I have personally seen three people shot here...and two that were stabbed.

Live in fear if you want.  Entirely up to you.  But tell me.  Do you also refrain from never ever driving or riding on a Thai road.  That is highest risk activity you will ever engage in while in this country.

What I posted is just common sense everyone should go by to avoid being a victim. I fear nothing but worrying about my family. I'm a hunter, was a gun salesman, and have been around guns all my life. It's just sensible to avoid getting into a situation with someone who has a gun. Better to walk away unless you or yours are being threatened. If that happens, you end it any way you have to. Discretion is the better part of valor. I know what I would do if I was confronted, but hopefully it never comes to that before I move from here. The roads here are as deadly as anywhere I've driven, and avoiding an accident is almost a weekly thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adumbration said:

More piffle.  You don't need to be violent or aggresive to assert your rights.  Perhaps if you learnt some Thai you would be able to communicate properly.

I speak and comprehend Thai quite competently. Don't bruise yourself jumping to conclusions.

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Back in the 80s I stayed in a hotel in Guatemala for $1 per night then I found out why...

They kept a rooster in the courtyard just outside my door. ????

@SiSePuede419 My very first trip to indonesia a million years ago I traveled from Timor (Christian) to Nusa Tenggara (Muslim) by ferry and bus.  Horror journey back then and I arrived exhausted late at night. Found the nearest homestay and checked in.  Room was way less than a dollar (in IDR).  Passed out on the bed bug ridden mattress.  A few hours later I was introduced to my very first morning call to prayer by a massive tin speaker located directly accross the narrow street from my lodgings.

• Haha 1

What a fuzz about chickens here.

We have 2 Chicken Paddocks on our Farm.

Just opposite of our Houses and neither the Housemaid, Farmhelper and ourself find it annoying.

30 Brahmas with 3 Rooster and a very deep crow make us laughing often and 50 Plymouth Rocks with 5 Rooster give their best in Sophran.

A morning in Isaan... 

4 am the roosters start their competition,

me, take the phone, look how late it is and give it another 1 hr snooze thinking:

Countryside life is cool.

No loud Dickheads on their tuned motorbikes or cars, no unnatural noises, no drunk whores moaning to their husbands,  just contryside and roosters.

The next Village is about 3 Kilometers away...

6 am the farmgang starts their morning chores and i sit at my lake watching my fishes and ....well, listen to the roosters with a big grin on my face... 

Life can be fair, can it? 

1085385872_ChickenPaddocks.thumb.png.349e7269c8a6afa2495d9d1841f875e3.png

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Reginald Prewster said:

What a fuzz about chickens here.

We have 2 Chicken Paddocks on our Farm.

Just opposite of our Houses and neither the Housemaid, Farmhelper and ourself find it annoying.

30 Brahmas with 3 Rooster and a very deep crow make us laughing often and 50 Plymouth Rocks with 5 Rooster give their best in Sophran.

A morning in Isaan... 

4 am the roosters start their competition,

me, take the phone, look how late it is and give it another 1 hr snooze thinking:

Countryside life is cool.

No loud Dickheads on their tuned motorbikes or cars, no unnatural noises, no drunk whores moaning to their husbands,  just contryside and roosters.

The next Village is about 3 Kilometers away...

6 am the farmgang starts their morning chores and i sit at my lake watching my fishes and ....well, listen to the roosters with a big grin on my face... 

Life can be fair, can it? 

1085385872_ChickenPaddocks.thumb.png.349e7269c8a6afa2495d9d1841f875e3.png

When my little dog hears roosters crowing in the distancing he starts baying like a wolf howling at the moon.