Moving from Australia to Thailand

Hugh Cow

22 hours ago, Hugh Cow said:

I am looking at moving my household furniture etc from Brisbane to Bangkok. I want to do door to door so I need a shipping agent to do either a full or partial container load door to door. I want a reliable company that will organise handle the shipping and paperwork. Is their any good reccommendations out there? Any experience with companies used that were good will be appreciated.

My Australian agent was Kent (big, really professional international movers). Grace Bros also do good work ... any of the bigger mobs in Oz are pretty safe and can do absolutely everything from wrapping items, to boxing, uplift, loading container, shipping, customs, and all the paperwork.

You can, as a retiree do a one-off import of your home/personal goods free of any tax, but only once.

All you need is your retirement visa to prove your status as a retiree emigre to LOS and bingo its no sweat.

I was a bit sneaky and stocked up on really expensive stuff here in LOS before I did the move. New garden equipment mowers etc, tools, car cleaning stuff, all sorts of linen and bedding, some antiques I wanted for the new house, kitchen items, wine cellar, new golf clubs, surfboards, bike, weights and other workout machinery - bike, climber, rowing machine.

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

OP: Some years ago I moved from Caboolture to Pattaya. Cannot remember the Oz removalist, but the Thai end was handled by Asian Tigers so give them a call / email to see who they now use in Brisbane; URL below. The service was door to door, no problems whatsoever.

https://asiantigersgroup.com/thailand/

I used Asian Tigers in a move from Singapore to Pattaya, they were very good. I had office furniture, lounge suite, large TV etc.....   I don't know about cost as my employer paid, but I do recall tax on the Thai end was minimal. They were a professional team, that was in 2014.

• Like 1

I used Crown and they were excellent.  Door to door service. Here's some info from their website: Our locations | Crown Worldwide

Brisbane location:

Brisbane

1300 135 607

73 Buchanan Road
Banyo
Brisbane
Australia

And from their Bangkok location:

Bangkok (CR, CWM)

+66 2 105 6309 / +66 2 105 6354

98, Sathorn Square Office Tower,
37th Floor, Room 3708 & 3751,
North Sathorn Rd, Silom,
Bangrak, Bangkok
Thailand 10500

Hope it helps

9 hours ago, simple1 said:

OP: Some years ago I moved from Caboolture to Pattaya. Cannot remember the Oz removalist, but the Thai end was handled by Asian Tigers so give them a call / email to see who they now use in Brisbane; URL below. The service was door to door, no problems whatsoever.

https://asiantigersgroup.com/thailand/

I used Asian Tigers as well when we moved from Hong Kong to here (2016)

They were excellent door to door.

My employer (HK Govt) paid for everything so I had to submit 3 quotes for approval.

Asian Tigers were the winners and I would thoroughly recommend.

I am Aussie but not sure the AT operate OZ to TH.

Have a search and find out.

PS., I didn't pay ANY  local customs fees or "agents".....they might have but the whole deal was one fee, 20ft FCL, packing and unpacking. Nothing lost or broken..

Good luck!

12 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

You are good at making comments you know nothing about. 

I have commitments and when they are done I am too. 

So it's my fault you moved overseas for 10 years and dont like it 5555

Edited by bignok
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

Do you get your rocks off being sarcastic? So many posts of yours tell me you do.

Anyhow welcome to my ignored list.

Your post is weird dude. Moved overseas, hated it still there for 10 years. Then its my fault for some reason. Just weird posts dude. You could have left after 12 months. No reason to stay. What commitments are you on about? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

Your post is weird dude. Moved overseas, hated it still there for 10 years. Then its my fault for some reason. Just weird posts dude. You could have left after 12 months. No reason to stay. What commitments are you on about? 

You've got some front talking about "weird"............:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 5:55 AM, Hugh Cow said:

I am looking at moving my household furniture etc from Brisbane to Bangkok. I want to do door to door so I need a shipping agent to do either a full or partial container load door to door. I want a reliable company that will organise handle the shipping and paperwork. Is their any good reccommendations out there? Any experience with companies used that were good will be appreciated.

The major shipping companies can do that – handle everything – but you still need yourself to do a detailed packing list with model and serial number for everything that carries that, and value of all individual items.

I used a container-shipping agent for c.i.f. to Bangkok and – as recommended – a local shipping company for custom clearance and domestic transport of my 20 feet container, including offloading at destination. Sometimes paying overtime to customs, makes custom clearance both fast and cheap, wherefore a local agent might be beneficial.

I was also recommended only to take "total loss" insurance, as partial damage would be expensive and still (very) difficult to claim any compensation.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:49 AM, Celsius said:

Off topic, so don't get triggered.

I always wondered how people would use their furniture in new surroundings. It literally makes zero sense moving furniture to a 3rd world tropical country, especially to a place like Bangkok unless you live in one of those 100 million baht climate controlled villas.

My Thai wife and I shipped a 20 foot container from Baltimore, MD,

USA.  We shipped furniture, China, crystal, clothes, books, etc. Returning Thai wife paid zero duty. Bought a house that fit furniture measurements.  For some, things have senimental value.  It was expensive, but worth it for us. If we had it to do over again, we would do the same thing. Your mileage may vary! 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, arick said:

Do not come to Thailand the whole country is corrupt any money that you bring into Thailand anything that you buy or do anything you're going to lose it so the only thing I would recommend if you really want to come to Thailand is just rent a house or rent something small for not more than $10,000 a month and check it out for 5 years because after 5 years it all fades away Thailand is one of the most ugliest countries in the world. 

We all make mistakes. I made mine late in life. Hindsight is very good but doesn’t exist.  Other than the availability of a pension I have nothing left in Oz but I will have to return to get that pension. I retired with, what I thought, plenty cash to live here. All gone. But really only myself to blame. Yeah I been conned but my fault I let it happen  

Good luck to you in your future. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, arick said:

Do not come to Thailand the whole country is corrupt any money that you bring into Thailand anything that you buy or do anything you're going to lose it so the only thing I would recommend if you really want to come to Thailand is just rent a house or rent something small for not more than $10,000 a month and check it out for 5 years because after 5 years it all fades away Thailand is one of the most ugliest countries in the world. 

Yep, I gotta agree with that. Renting is by far the best. For one thing you never know what the Thais around you are going to do. One day you have a nice happy home, a house or condo, next day there's a damn karaoke pub next to you and your life is ruined. In my time in Thailand I've had to move maybe 15-20 times (over 40 years) due to funfairs, pubs, likay concerts, open-air cinemas, home metal-work shops and several other such things suddenly springing up nearby and ruining everything. Fortunately I always rented so the easy solution was to move. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, grain said:

Yep, I gotta agree with that. Renting is by far the best. For one thing you never know what the Thais around you are going to do. One day you have a nice happy home, a house or condo, next day there's a damn karaoke pub next to you and your life is ruined. In my time in Thailand I've had to move maybe 15-20 times (over 40 years) due to funfairs, pubs, likay concerts, open-air cinemas, home metal-work shops and several other such things suddenly springing up nearby and ruining everything. Fortunately I always rented so the easy solution was to move. 

I haven't been that bad. Just burning sugar cane.  But everybody loses money on property anything that you buy in this country you will end up losing especially condos once you buy a condo you'll never be able to resell it again and make money off of it 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:33 AM, Hugh Cow said:

Thankyou for answering a question with a question stating the obvious. I have things I obviously want to take. I would appreciate a constructive answer rather than more questions thanks.

image.jpeg.b71189b0080e5f33554fb5afa78bbd40.jpeg

On 9/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, arick said:

One of my mistakes in life I should have moved to Australia instead of coming here when I was 42 years old I said it coming to f****** Thailand I should have just moved to Australia but now I don't have that option I could have sold my house in central London not not lost 10 million bad and I could have been nicely settled in Australia but instead you come to Thailand they corrupt all your money away and you lose everything and you're screwed for the rest of your life

How did you lose the money?

Thanks to Daz Grain Arick and others for their help and comments. I agree with many of those comments and always intended to leave most of my money in Oz. As to the house I am aware that the money on a house is not an investment but I see it as part of the legacy to my good lady wife should i beat her to the pearly gates. It is my "gift" to a woman who has stuck by me and been a wonderful partner over many years. 

12 minutes ago, Hugh Cow said:

Thanks to Daz Grain Arick and others for their help and comments. I agree with many of those comments and always intended to leave most of my money in Oz. As to the house I am aware that the money on a house is not an investment but I see it as part of the legacy to my good lady wife should i beat her to the pearly gates. It is my "gift" to a woman who has stuck by me and been a wonderful partner over many years. 

Are you going to have enough assets over for it to matter?

One thing most people fail to calculate is the increased expenses as you get older. you can start with retirement home costs and medical.

One big red flag is people bringing up topics about what to do with assets and property when they pass. under the surface in my experience what that typically means is not disposition arrangements, but anxiety about running out of money.

9 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Are you going to have enough assets over for it to matter?

One thing most people fail to calculate is the increased expenses as you get older. you can start with retirement home costs and medical.

One big red flag is people bringing up topics about what to do with assets and property when they pass. under the surface in my experience what that typically means is not disposition arrangements, but anxiety about running out of money.

Hopefully I have estimated my needs including health insurance etc. I realise there is always the unexpected in which case my children may get less inheritance.