Stick Your Mister Where The Sun Don't Shine

Neeranam

Just now, Neeranam said:

In the last month, I've been to different hospitals, they all called out 'Mister Neeranam'. This includes private hospitals. 

Hmmmmm. I don't remember what they called me in hospital, but if they were speaking to me in English, Mr would have been the appropriate term to use.

I guess such things don't bother me enough to get upset about.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, a grammar policeman has arrived on the thread.

As there is no direct correlation between Thai and English any spelling is correct as long as it sounds right.

Mr Beachlover, you obviously have a very limited sense of humour.

Think what English word is similar to Khun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It beats... "you, you... Hey you Falang, you, you... want tuk-tuk ?"....   while you are trying to cross the road and the tuk-tuk stops in front of you actually stopping you from crossing the road. 

I suspect the 'Mister' is an attempt to be respectful, if you read anything more into it than that, you're looking for a problem that doesn't exist. 

Yes, it's when they start calling out "Hey, F????q Face, come over here!" <they really lean into the F's>   I'd be more inclined towards annoyance then.

However that said, when I alight from my canopied sedan chair in front of the local I always expect and deserve to be addressed with the proper honorific. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There were only about 5 people in this premium clinic. 

And another thing, the nurses adamantly told me I couldn't use my Social Security in that clinic, then the doctor told me I could if I go after 4pm. Maybe this is why I was offended at the way they called me mister, as they were discriminating against me, based on my ethnic backround.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand,

You were very likely dealing with 'unintelligent people' who struggled to believe that a White-skinned people could actually be Thai...    The 'does not compute' thoughts turned into a 'cannot' response, as is so common here....      thats all it really is,

In Thailand, very often, when things such as this occur, what you see is actually the way it is...  no reason to dig deeper into underlying racism etc...  its just people who have no education or learning of the social airs and graces to dealing with people different to themselves. 

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:
53 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Think you've spelt 'khun' wrong, ????

Oh dear, a grammar policeman has arrived on the thread.

As there is no direct correlation between Thai and English any spelling is correct as long as it sounds right.

erm... I think he was adding an element of 'racism' to the suggested element of 'racism'...

... i.e. coon (and what that could infer).

• Confused 3

31 minutes ago, jvs said:

Thai people just assume most tourists do not speak Thai.

So calling them Khun will result in the tourists not understanding what they are saying.

Thai people are correct in assuming this.

Go to the Phillies and everyone will call you boss.

I went on a holiday in my home country where a lot of Germans like to go visit and people assumed i was German also.

Not a big deal.

'went on a holiday in my home country where a lot of Germans like to go visit and people assumed i was German also'.

So they didn't call you Mein Furher?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

Try earplugs. If they don’t have a written English menu it’s a no-go anyway ????.