TM30 question when taking a holiday

Guys, the agent for my condo has done all the TM30 work for me. However, what happens when i go on holiday. Like, eg if i go to some local destination in Chiang Mai or Phuket. 

I assume then, the hotels in these destinations will do my TM30, but then i return back to my condo and what happens then? To further confuse matters what happens if you go abroad for a few days and then return home ?!

So do i have to inform the agent, and she takes me off or something. Very confusing and such a a headache at times all this !!!!

Thanks in advance for any replies !

Edited by DonniePeverley

Immigration rules appear to be 'flexible' and can change day to day, and office to office.

When I travel to another province, I submit my TM 30 on my return as the hotel will have registered me there.

If I travel abroad, I do not submit a new TM 30 as I am still registered at my house.

Here on Samui, immigration do check for TM 30's.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Guys, the agent for my condo has done all the TM30 work for me. However, what happens when i go on holiday. Like, eg if i go to some local destination in Chiang Mai or Phuket. 

I assume then, the hotels in these destinations will do my TM30, but then i return back to my condo and what happens then? To further confuse matters what happens if you go abroad for a few days and then return home ?!

So do i have to inform the agent, and she takes me off or something. Very confusing and such a a headache at times all this !!!!

Thanks in advance for any replies !

When you go somewhere in Thailand are you alone - if you have a Thai wife/gf then place the booking her name and avoid providing passport - that way no TM30 is done and you dont have to when returning.

If you are alone - it is likely they will lodge a TM30 - but ask them if they do - say you would rather they dont. If they say they will do, or you think they will, you need agent/condo to lodge a TM30 when you get back to condo.

If you go overseas, your agent/condo must lodge a TM30 when you return - they have record of you leaving the country.

The issue/problem becomes what happens at annual extension - some places strictly enforce the rules and penalties, some dont bother.

• Confused 2

45 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

To further confuse matters what happens if you go abroad for a few days and then return home ?!

That resets the 90 day clock, so you will report for your 90 day stay 90 days after your arrival back in Thailand. Living in BKK I have often travelled domestically here and it has never effected my 90 day due date. But it seems in other provinces this can cause problems, hence the good suggestions to not register the room in your name when travelling domestically. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

There are so many different replies and what to do - different directions - that i am utterly confused. 

There is simply no way, when we go to Koh Samui and check in they will not do the TM30 - staying in a five star resort. 

There seems no proper answer to all this - when i get back to my condo, do i then redo my TM30 ?

7 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

There seems no proper answer to all this - when i get back to my condo, do i then redo my TM30 ?

Depends which immigration office you deal with..

If it's CM then you need do a TM30.

For the vast majority of immigration offices a new TM30 is not required for inter province trips 

ALSO not required for international travel if returning with same visa or reentry permit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Depends which immigration office you deal with..

If it's CM then you need do a TM30.

For the vast majority of immigration offices a new TM30 is not required for inter province trips 

ALSO not required for international travel if returning with same visa or reentry permit.

I am staying in Bangkok. I plan to holiday in Koh Samui, maybe Phuket, etc 

So i assume Bangkok is my immigration office. 

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Explained in first post of OP of attached thread. 

Item 2.2 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1169664-thai-immigration-announce-changes-to-tm30-reporting/

You are a top bloke. 

So to clarify (Cos of my thickness) - if i stay in Thailand and holiday, i don't need to do anything.

Secondly, if i go abroad - as long as i have a reentry permit i still don't have to redo the tm30?

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's about continuity of your permission of stay

That does not mean physical presence in Thailand.

The reentry permit "protects" your permission of stay.

I didn't know that. I left Bangkok last april, my TM30 was made in November 2022.

In November 2023, I will go back to Bangkok with a re-entry permit and an extension of stay based on Non-O retirement and stay at the same place/condo.

So, when I'll make a new extension at CW in February 2024, I will show the TM30 made in November 2022  ?

15 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

There are so many different replies and what to do - different directions - that i am utterly confused. 

There is simply no way, when we go to Koh Samui and check in they will not do the TM30 - staying in a five star resort. 

Welcome to Thailand, A place where you never get 1 answer that fits all. ???? 

However, If you travel domestic, the rules are that you do not need to make a new TM30 when you come back to your registered address. If you leave the country, most immigration offices want you to do a visit and inform that you are back at the same registered address if on the same extension with a re-entry permit. Some will want you to do a new TM30. If you travel abroad and return on a visa exempt entry or a new visa, that will lead to the need of a new TM30 report. As said regarding visa extension with re-entry permit, travelling abroad will reset you 90 day report date.

I seldom post on this forum, because my comments seem to get moderated out, but the law did  change in 2020, but in the past few months, Bangkok immigration at CW started synchronizing TM 30s with 90 day reports. They will not accept your 90 day report, if the most recent TM30 is not at the address you put on your 90 day report application, so they are disregarding the law, but you have no choice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, flbkk said:

I seldom post on this forum, because my comments seem to get moderated out, but the law did  change in 2020, but in the past few months, Bangkok immigration at CW started synchronizing TM 30s with 90 day reports. They will not accept your 90 day report, if the most recent TM30 is not at the address you put on your 90 day report application, so they are disregarding the law, but you have no choice. 

I have been at same address in Bangkok for 10 years obtaining extensions at CW.

Last extension of Oct 2022 they wanted my TM47.

First time ever.

They also wanted Bank Statements.

First time ever.

As for TM30....I have never even done one.

Just provided a 12 month lease.

Next week I apply for extension and will report my experience.

Edited by DrJack54

After the TM30 kerfuffle ~ four years ago, Immigration officials stated that you do not have to refile a TM30 if you are returning to your "permanent" address of record as so stated in a previous TM30, or in other records filed as part of your status/permission to stay.

Based on recent experiences at CW (Bangkok) I can state that my TM30 (from 2/17/20 - Int'l return, and after another international return and several domestic hotel stays) remains valid and acceptable for Imm/CW (TM7, TM8, TM47, Certificate of Residence).

As with all things here, YMMV.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 2

Here in Chiang Mai they are very strict about the tm30. 

You can just walk in at Immigration with your passport and tm30 after staying at another location in and out of Thailand.

Go to the designated desk and tell them to update.

That's all, no agent needed.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No to first part and for international travel also not required if returning with reentry permit or same visa.

Two people at my work were told different. When they went to do their extensions it was flagged that they had left the country and not filed new TM30s when they had returned, so they were fined for that. Both on Non-B and with reentry permits. This was at CW.

As others have said, every office has their own rules. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, marin said:

That resets the 90 day clock, so you will report for your 90 day stay 90 days after your arrival back in Thailand. Living in BKK I have often travelled domestically here and it has never effected my 90 day due date. But it seems in other provinces this can cause problems, hence the good suggestions to not register the room in your name when travelling domestically. 

Since you are talking about something completely irrelevant to this question and thread what's the best way to boil an egg so the shell comes off cleanly?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Andyfez said:

This is not the official answer. In theory the hotels will do the tm30, but in most cases they would prefer to think of you as a tourist who doesn't need one. I confess unless I actually leave the country and have a stamp in my passport I never bother worrying about the tm30 these days

Me too

If you are travelling with a Thai friend or wife or whatever always book and check in using their details. Just stay in the background and no one ever bothers to ask for your details. 

Edited by Zack61

20 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

My head hurts from all this. 

When you usually go to another hotel, they will take passports of everyone staying. 

I have always been allowed to use my Thai Drivers license with no passport meaning no TM30 registration 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing is certain when it comes to Thailand, especially Immigration. Each office, even officer will have their own interpretation on everything.

Kalasin IO advised me that I can go and stay temporarily anywhere in Thailand, I can leave the country and return as long as I do so with a re entry permit. No TM30 necessary. They said what matters is the visa you came in on, or obtained in country after entering  visa exempt, and extensions from it. Those must be continuous to keep the address where you live here registered. If you leave and allow your permission to stay to expire or it is cancelled by leaving without a re entry permit you will be coming in to Thailand with a new visa and then a new TM30 needs to be done.

If you move to a new permanent address in Thailand whether in the same province or elsewhere then a new TM 30 must be done.

Indeed I have taken holidays elsewhere in Thailand and I have left and returned with re entry permit and still been able to do subsequent 90 day reports online and even online they send me a downloadable confirmation and notice of the next reporting date.

To me that seems logical and a surprisingly sensible approach! But it's only one of many IOs. And if the line up there changes so might that approach. I last re entered Thailand in August and have just renewed my extension of stay for another year with accompanying notice that my next 90 day report will be due late in December. We shall see if that report is accepted  if I have taken a holiday here or in another country before then.