Is there any 180 days limit a year rule for tourists in Thailand?

I was asked by a friend yesterday if there was any 180 days limit a year rule for tourists in Thailand. My answer was no, there is not.

Based on years of experience, you can certainly stay a longer period than 180 days a year, through a combination of tourist visas, SETV or METV, visa exemptions (30 days plus 30 days extensions) or visa on arrival (VOA). You can even get a maximum of 267 days on a METV alone, extended before it expires.

Yet, I now see this misinformation is spreading at certain communities online, on Facebook and even on youtube. 

I understand that certain consulates, like the one at Savannakhet, might be imposing such "rule", but that doesn't mean there is an official rule, or that you can't obtain entries legally at other borders, by land or air, which give you extended days, weeks or months of stay (incl. two times by land). There sure are a lot of people currently on longer tourist stays this year alone.

I do understand that anyone might be denied entry, based on their history, at the immigration officer's discretion, but I can't find this "rule" anywhere. I believe it was once an immigration rule, a long, long time ago, but it was quickly scrapped.

Aseannow has the most qualified people online to answer that with certainty, but I'm sure I am right.

A confirmation here would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are many foreigners who own properties and stay in them during the winter months, or rent apartments for longer periods of time in Thailand. And as you wrote, METV visas can be applied for to be able to stay longer than 180 days. 

As far as I know, the 6 month rules can sometimes be used as a guideline to decide if a tourist is actually a tourist. But there are also other factors to take into consideration, and every case is different. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Slightly off topic but a genuine question all the same.

I was out of this site for about a year during Covid so can any one update me on the other mine of extremely accurate and useful information Ubonjoe, I miss his inspirational replies to the many and varied immigration topics.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 3:38 PM, tomazbodner said:

The first link just determines who or is not a permanent resident and the second link is about tax liabilities for residents and non residents who earn money in Thailand. So registering with the tax man is reliant on whether you earn any money in Thailand or not. If tourists earn money in Thailand they are not tourists so there is never a need for tourists to register with the tax man no matter how long they stay. Long term residents who live on their pensions or other income where the tax is paid in their home country and Thailand has a double taxation agreement are under no obligation to register with the Thai Tax authorities. If you are no longer tax resident in your home country then you are obliged to pay tax in the country you are resident in. A lot of people ceased to be tax resident in their home country and have been living in Thailand tax free but the recent update to the tax rules is designed to close this loop hole.

• Like 1

I admit to complete ignorance about Thai Tax affairs, and have been living here on a Retirement Extension visa for some years without ping any tx or even having a Thai Tax number.  I was happily assuming that I did not have to pay Thai tax on any income from outside Thailand.  Without checking aall my travel over the last few years, I do not know which, if any years I was a Tax Resident.

Since I am considering spending more time in Thailand , what should I do to avoid any nasty confrontations with Thailand Tax office.  If I go to local Tax Office and ask for a Tax number, will I be subject to an unpleasant interview and accusations of tax evasion?  I appreciate that ignorance is no excuse.

Now I have retired in UK, I have no income there except my stat pension and from rented property, both of which I file a UK tax return and pay he required taxes.

Do I go to Ta office and ask the to assess my tax liability in Thailand and then pay up, or do I continue as up to now, and just get visa extensions nd trae between lOS and UK.

On 9/30/2023 at 10:43 AM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

April to november are the best despite the rain.

Prices are a whole lot cheaper, everything goes on discount rates,  services are highly more available, better service and attention everywhere and the place is not over crowded with tourists or expats.

And it scorching hot, and p#sses down with rain. Great ????????

On 9/30/2023 at 1:46 PM, tomazbodner said:

There isn't. But even as a tourist, when staying over half a year in the country, you'd need to apply for tax number, become Thailand tax resident, declare and start paying taxes here. I'd bet you didn't do that.

Under which regulation do tourists have to do that?

On 9/30/2023 at 1:48 PM, thaibreaker said:
On 9/30/2023 at 1:46 PM, tomazbodner said:

There isn't. But even as a tourist, when staying over half a year in the country, you'd need to apply for tax number, become Thailand tax resident, declare and start paying taxes here. I'd bet you didn't do that.

Expand  

Thanks. But that's another topic, and has nothing to do with my question.

It's another topic and it is also nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nowhere in that link does it confirm the specifics of your claim.

I was trying to find something nice, short and downloadable... but OK, from the horse's mouth then (so to speak):

1.Taxable Person

Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

Source: https://www.rd.go.th/english/6045.html

So what is a tourist that's staying over 180 days in a calendar year in Thailand not? A "person"? Identifies as what then?

As for tax number. How do you pay tax in Thailand if you don't have Thai tax number?

• Thumbs Up 1

I stay here 180 and will finish up in 3 weeks and head home to work--been doing so for 15 yrs

I bike daily in old city and spend money on food and a place to sleep......am i not a tourist?

Thai immig seems to think so as they just extended my allowed 2nd border run per year

I have worked here and also volunteered and had proper visa for both....am i not Proper???

Maybe you can go be a volunteer at Immig office and scold all the daily applicants.....

18 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Okay, I'll be one. You cannot stay 180+ days on tourist visas. That's not tourism, that's living in the country. And to live in the country you should have a PROPER VISA. Become a fake student and get an ED visa. Or become a fake employee and get a Non-B visa. Or marry a Thai woman and get a marriage visa. That's the PROPER WAY. 

Why can I not stay 181 days in Thailand as a tourist? This still leaves me 184 days living in my home country where I'm not a tourist

16 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

also whats the time limit to separate tourist and "living" here ---or "proper" limits?

Thai immigration seems to disagree with you as here I am, in LOS, being a scofflaw... day 160..

Bro, that was a huge sarcasm on my part. I just played a "proper visa" crusader to showcase the nonsense they usually say

6 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

LMAO

I am of course talking about those who actually know what they are talking about here. You know who, I suppose. Separate those from others.

I got the answer I needed from one of those persons on this forum.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1