led spotlight getting hot

motdaeng

i want to replace existing downlights (e27 led) in my suspended ceiling (with staycool 6 inch).

during a brief test, i noticed that the housing (which will be in the ceiling) gets extremely hot.

is this normal, are there alternatives? do other brands (eg phillips) have the same issue?

thanks, motdaeng

20231003.png

8 hours ago, motdaeng said:

i want to replace existing downlights (e27 led) in my suspended ceiling (with staycool 6 inch).

during a brief test, i noticed that the housing (which will be in the ceiling) gets extremely hot.

is this normal, are there alternatives? do other brands (eg phillips) have the same issue?

thanks, motdaeng

20231003.png

It is normal for the cheaper lights to get hot as they are run as high as possible. The more expensive lights underurn the LEDs and so produce less light but have a much longer life.

the highest run lights are unbranded from China the slightly lower run are branded, again from China, then you have the branded but really quite expensive

This is an example of the more expensive LEDs

IMG_3533.thumb.jpeg.1d3a7b6e10397b5980a1df005e03e851.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:46 AM, motdaeng said:

thanks, motdaeng

I just bought 6W spots and LED strips . They all get hot , too hot for my liking. Cheap spotlight are in plastic , not Aluminium , so cooling is even worse.

Like you , I'm about to use the 6 inch Staycool SCG with spots and after reading this here , I start to doubt too.

Sorry for going off topic : How do you like these Stay cool from SCG ? Does it really make a difference in heat and noise ? I bought one to see , and 6 inches ?? They are flattend rolled up to maybe 2 inches. Is it worth the 509B ? If it is too far off topic can you PM me , for replies about the staycool. I'm about to buy 40 rolls of them for 100 m2 .

You can change your 12w led with 5w led day light 750 lumen (150 lumen/watt) but pay attention at the dimension because I have installed on my saloon. The dimension is 5 cm diameter / 5.8 cm hight.

I have installed them in the concealed lighting in the living room of my house for over 2 years in Greece. Perfect /excellent and they are very economic in electricity consumption. Source:https://www.ledmall.gr/product/σποτ-led-gu10-smd-5w-230v-110-750lm-ip20-evolution-150lm-w-άσπρο-σώμα-φυσικό-λευ/

Edited by Paris333

leds downlight can get hot as 50-60 C with an 9 W led, your fingers dont like that.

I cant touch a running led light bulb 9W 1000 lumen, my fingers protest.

You have a 12 W, so higher, therefor more heat. Led 's put 10 % to heat and merely in light. In instructions also comes (should) how to built in and how much free space, not to be ignored. You had it in test , so probably wide open and you fond out, it gets hot.

I dont see cooling fins, but there are led downlights which have cooling fins  

So they would/should be cooler? The cooling section is bigger so it should, of course you dont put anything on top of it as an isolation

image.png.ca73cf064add1962d270dc72c59b52c8.png

You also see in the description of your lights, they will get to 50 -ish C.

Depending on temperature difference between light and air, heat flow is better or less. Also constructions of lights have an effect on heat transport. 

https://www.kt.market/product/iwachi-โคมฝังฝ้า-4-12w-กลม-iwc-panel-4-12w-r-แสงขาว/

So what is hot, 50 C? You didnt measure.

Maybe try baking an egg on it, if you succeed in short time, probably too hot.555

• Like 1