Flights from China to Thailand almost full amid visa waivers, Thai Airways says

webfact

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

It actually is Central America

Yes, which is part of North America. 

"Costa Rica is situated in the Central America region which is part of North America. Central America is the southernmost region of North America."

Edited by JeffersLos

4 hours ago, DTL2014 said:

we need free visa for the europeans and americas too ..- then we might see some profits ..its been a long wait

A free 90 day non-immigrant visa would be great!  There would be a significant rise in tourism as people would escape the coldest months of the northern hemisphere winter.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

A free 90 day non-immigrant visa would be great!  There would be a significant rise in tourism as people would escape the coldest months of the northern hemisphere winter.  

They already have 30-day visa free admission. A 90-day visa free admission will only get more people searching for prostitutes brides and sexual orgies. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Was around lower Sukhumvit these past few days (strong tourist area) - i have never seen so many Chinese tourists in my life. This has to go back to pre covid levels (and then some more). Astonishing numbers that basically outnumbered local Thai's. 

Getting on the BTS and MRT has been a miserable experience these past few days, a huge massive increase of tourists have put enormous pressures on the local services. No seats, and squashed so tight. Literally a week ago it was a pleasure to ride the BTS and MRT with relative stable crowds. 

Then as we had lunch in icon Siam today, the whole bottom (street food type fascade built on the basement) was full of Chinese. I couldn't even move, so i just had to leave. The actual shopping centre shops, and the fine dining restaurants had no chinese in at all. Most the of the fine dining restaurants were still mainly occupied by Thais, some arabs, and a few westerners - but no Chinese. 

Really do question the wisdom of just opening the borders to them. Yes a few may spend, but literally the cost of 99% of the 30 million coming and not spending is a big burden on the local cities and infrustructure - never mind then turning off other tourists from other nationalities to go elsewhere. I have noticed (in Bangkok especially) how so few European tourists are coming here anymore. 

But it is done now, and can't be undone. At the time i was surprised at how quick they came up with the decision, when it was going to impact so much of the local populations. 

We've been spoilt by the past few years living here - no longer the case now. 

Who would want to live in Bangkok it’s okay for a long weekend but no more than that the fumes are enough to put you in an early grave 

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Sounds like the Philippines. Armed guards at all banks. First time I ever visited a place where guards with shot guns stood out front of each bank.

You have armed guards at the Thai banks have you never seen the gun on the hip 

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to the Chinese ! I have a beautiful beach property yours for 30 million baht with some room to negotiate beautiful villa with separate stand alone apartment for mumma and papa each property has its own blue book already have Chinese neighbours 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

By the time there is sufficient flight capacity the visa waiver will be over.  It's only for 5 months.

They aren't going to role back the visa waiver. Once you set up a policy like this, and with the Chinese saying they welcome it. To then put visas back on would be a loss of face, shame. It's permemant. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

They are only talking Chinese tourists and some on here want to up sticks. The solution is don't live in a tourist area. I have never seen a Russian or Chinese. Thailand has plenty to offer other than Gogo bars and prostitution 

Do you never go to a mall, or use public transport like the train? Never go to a restaurant ? 

• Confused 1

Sadly the cancellations resulting from the Paragon shooting will ease pressure on flights from China considerably.  I understand the Chinese victim was a young mother with twin daughters who watched their mother being murdered.  I can't even begin to understand what this will be like for the poor girls. RIP.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Haha 1

The weather up here near Beijing has been too nice to pack the airplanes headed to warm climes.  Especially after such a hot summer.  October has overlapping holidays that may already be driving up tourist numbers.  But the real test will be the first bone chilling cold snap, when the visa-free program will allow Chinese to decide on a Thursday to fly to Thailand after work on Friday.  

That, and opening up more direct flights.  Next week, I'm paying less than half the pre-Covid fare for a R/T ticket to BKK, but the flight choices stink.  I'm okay with a longer layover because I'm not on a schedule, but it wouldn't work for long weekend.

Anyone who claims the Chinese don't spend and spend in Thailand should amble by the Chinese airline ticket gates to see all the goodies they're stuffing into their luggage to take back home.  I've got friends up here that fund their entire trips by smuggling goodies for resale.  They even take pre-orders.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

The weather up here near Beijing has been too nice to pack the airplanes headed to warm climes.  Especially after such a hot summer.  October has overlapping holidays that may already be driving up tourist numbers.  But the real test will be the first bone chilling cold snap, when the visa-free program will allow Chinese to decide on a Thursday to fly to Thailand after work on Friday.  

That, and opening up more direct flights.  Next week, I'm paying less than half the pre-Covid fare for a R/T ticket to BKK, but the flight choices stink.  I'm okay with a longer layover because I'm not on a schedule, but it wouldn't work for long weekend.

Anyone who claims the Chinese don't spend and spend in Thailand should amble by the Chinese airline ticket gates to see all the goodies they're stuffing into their luggage to take back home.  I've got friends up here that fund their entire trips by smuggling goodies for resale.  They even take pre-orders.

Not saying all Chinese don't spend. But the vast majority don't. 

So what happens is you need to go through 30 million non spending / cheap tourists, to get the 1 million who spend big. 

So you essentially push 29 million non spending tourists onto Thailand cities, heap pressure on local services, but the big issue is you turn of other nationalities who will see crowded places and be put off. 

The no dollar tours are still in my opinion going on. I was in Terminal 21 today, and you had the coach pull up and everyone just following the leader around the mall, then back on the coach. Nothing spent. It was the same in Pattaya too. They are back staying in Chinese owned hotels, chinese restaurants, and don't spend elsewhere. 

Thailand has done virtually nothing to push for European / American tourists - no incentives, nothing. 

It's just put all it's eggs into Chinese tourism. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:31 PM, Gknrd said:

I'm in Colombia now (Cali). Prices are about as cheap as Thailand.  I am in an apartment here that there is no way I could get in Thailand for the price. 500/mo. Modern upscale apartment with full kitchen, living room, Bathroom and bedroom.  Of course with air.. Fully furnished with a modern washer in the apartment. Ohhh, and I have razor wire around the walls of my apartment and three keys to get into the open patio area.   

The main difference for me is the women. They are in the same mind set as Thai and SE Asian women in general. But, at my age most are so fat and ugly. Like I am back home in the US. Actually it reminds me of the US years ago.. Easy but so homely for me. Basically the same gold diggers and rip offs as in Thailand. But, same as in Thailand, some very very nice and sweet gals.

China is trying to push its way in, but without much success. I see a lot Indian (India) motorcycles here.

Really the only thing I see from China here are some cars that are trying to break into the market.

Personally I have seen no foreigners here at all. Including Westerners.  If the Chinese were to live here I don't think they would like It. And they would be targets. Like painting a target on your back saying rob me. The culture shock would be to much for them IMO.

I just left a small town called Minca. Was there for a month. And just like in Thailand very safe ,  the Europeans and Westerners were overrunning the place. Hundreds daily pouring in. Mostly  young backpackers. I was there for a month carrying a 6 thousand dollar camera and lens, no problems. Here in Cali I would not be long for the world if I did that.

Was in Cartagena for a month, reminded me of Pattaya as far as tourist rip offs go. Not safe!. And, verrrry expensive.

As far as beauty goes, there is really no comparison. Thailand is so dirty and filthy it is disgusting in so many ways. Hear the natural beauty , if into that?  Is over the top. 

Another stomping ground of mine is Mexico. I prefer it to Colombia. Strictly for the size and diversity. And it is right across the border from my home in the US. 

I am heading to the Philippines next. All the years living in Thailand in the golden days. I never visited the Philippines. But, if I had to imagine living somewhere permanently, for me it would be Mexico.

Personally I will never go back to Thailand because of the retirement changes. Can I afford it? Yes. 

But, when countries start tracking me, and have their hand in my pocket I don't like it, and will never go back. 

Ohh lord.

Countries start tracking me?

Get over yourself.

• Sad 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:26 PM, Hanuman2547 said:

Surely be simpler to make the TV 90 days permission, or even the Visa waiver entry 90 days too. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1