At what age can Thai children (new Thai baby) join the 30Baht health scheme?

scorecard

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I believe it's automatic from birth.

Sure, but I guess there's a process / documentation / registration involved.

Anybody know how to 'register' for 30Baht scheme for the baby?

Thanks.

• Sad 1

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

You could ask a Thai person , they would know .

Its more than likely that the Childs parents will know, as they are Thai 

Thanks. The parents (my Thai son and his Thai wife) are the parents.

They have asked Thai friends (also parents), nobody seems to know.

Son called the well known CM hosptal where the baby was born, they claim they don't know.

At this point all a bit of a mystery.

Later today I will call the helth ministry hotline*, hopefully they can advise (*I've called the hoteline before (during the Covid- 19 era), plenty of English, and always got clear focused answers.)

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Automatic from birth.

Show tabian ban on first hospital visit/registration.

Thank you Dr. Sheryl, my son and his wife are taking the baby to the CM baby hospital on Chang Klan Road (gov't hospital) tomorrow, I will suggest they take the family Tabien Baan book.

Son has probably already aded the new baby to the TB book. I'll check now.

Thanks again.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Was that a  private hospital or a Government hospital ?

It was McCormick private hospital.

However son and his wife tell me the costs of everything at that hospital are rising by the day. E.g. seems now to be automatic before much discussion '2 night', 3 nights' etc. (Had this several times for 7 year old daughter who regularly gets runny nose and non serious cough, Automatic 2 / 3 night stay and same medicine every time, same medicine you can buy, very cheaply, at every pharmacy.  Room rate plus food, nursing, dr. visit etc., ends up being a big bill.

New baby just coming up to 1 month and too young to start private Health Insurance.

Son and his wife heard very good reports re the special Baby Hospital on Chang Klan Road and decided to give the hospital a try. Hence the questions about 30Baht health registration / card etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Son and his wife heard very good reports re the special Baby Hospital on Chang Klan Road and decided to give the hospital a try. Hence the questions about 30Baht health registration / card etc. 

You cannot just select the hospital 'based on good reports'. You must attend the hospital to which the baby is registered at. If not you will be charged costs as per a private patient.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You cannot just select the hospital 'based on good reports'. You must attend the hospital to which the baby is registered at. If not you will be charged costs as per a private patient.

Thanks, already aware of all of that, son and his wife looking towards the future.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks.

Children (unlike adults) are entitled to free health care at any government hospital.

No documentation required, apart from proof of citizenship.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What if the baby was born in Chiang Mai but living after in Southern Thailand ? Do you have to hop into your car with an acute appendicites or even worse - heart attack ?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

It was McCormick private hospital.

However son and his wife tell me the costs of everything at that hospital are rising by the day. E.g. seems now to be automatic before much discussion '2 night', 3 nights' etc. (Had this several times for 7 year old daughter who regularly gets runny nose and non serious cough, Automatic 2 / 3 night stay and same medicine every time, same medicine you can buy, very cheaply, at every pharmacy.  Room rate plus food, nursing, dr. visit etc., ends up being a big bill.

New baby just coming up to 1 month and too young to start private Health Insurance.

Further, son and his wife already have 3 kids, 17, 11, 7, they're serious about all their kids getting a good vaccination spread.

In the past vaccination costs at McC were not too bad but now very expensive and they have dropped their earlier system of combining 2 or 3 non-reacting serums into one injection at a quite reasonable cost.

Hence looking for alternatives. 

Just now, moogradod said:

What if the baby was born in Chiang Mai but living after in Southern Thailand ? Do you have to hop into your car with an acute appendicites or even worse - heart attack ?

NO, it's not like that, all thai hospitals have to by law treat emergencies on the spot. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Automatic, but it is based on the Tabien Bahn (House Registration Book). People have coverage at the government hospital/clinic which serves the specific area where the house is registered. If they are living in a different area to their house registration (very common), the only way to benefit is to travel to the hospital which serves their official address. This could be in a different province and take a lot of travel time. 

The exception is in the case of emergencies, such as accidents, in which case they could be treated in the nearest government hospital. 

All information can be found at this website.  https://www.nhso.go.th/home

The government is supposedly considering updating the scheme such that people will be able to seek treatment at any government hospital/clinic. However, whether this comes to pass is anyone's guess. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, scorecard said:

NO, it's not like that, all thai hospitals have to by law treat emergencies on the spot. 

But not necessarily under the 30 THB scheme I suppose. So far so good. The question arises - can you change "your" government hospital to the nearest/best of your home adress ? This question is actually for my wife who was born North East and we are living now in Chonburi - same for my Stepdaughter. Since the family is all the time sick (me anyway, but I am a foreigner) - the nearest option is the BHP - and this adds up. I guess we have spent milllions all together over time - and I really mean millions.

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Emergencies are an exception. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Automatic, but it is based on the Tabien Bahn (House Registration Book) in which the child is registered. That is, the child will have coverage at the government hospital/clinic which serves the specific area where the house is registered. If they are living in a different area to their house registration (very common), the only way to benefit is to travel to the hospital which serves their official address. This could be in a different province and take a lot of travel time. 

The exception is in the case of emergencies, such as accidents, in which case they could be treated in the nearest government hospital. 

All information can be found at this website.  https://www.nhso.go.th/home

The government is supposedly considering updating the scheme such that people will be able to seek treatment at any government hospital/clinic. However, whether this comes to pass is anyone's guess. 

Again, just wrong, kids can use any government hospital.

And I've used this option for my kid when I didn't like the hospitals diagnosis.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

But not necessarily under the 30 THB scheme I suppose. So far so good. The question arises - can you change "your" government hospital to the nearest/best of your home adress ? This question is actually for my wife who was born North East and we are living now in Chonburi - same for my Stepdaughter. Since the family is all the time sick (me anyway, but I am a foreigner) - the nearest option is the BHP - and this adds up. I guess we have spent milllions all together over time - and I really mean millions.

It would require having a house registration in that area. If your wife's house registration is still in the NE, then the best way for her would be to register a change of address. If you are renting a house, she could ask to be added to the owners house registration. Whether they would agree to that or not is a different matter. If your wife owns the house, then she would normally already have a house registration for that address and be covered. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks. The parents (my Thai son and his Thai wife) are the parents.

They have asked Thai friends (also parents), nobody seems to know.

Son called the well known CM hosptal where the baby was born, they claim they don't know.

At this point all a bit of a mystery.

Later today I will call the helth ministry hotline*, hopefully they can advise (*I've called the hoteline before (during the Covid- 19 era), plenty of English, and always got clear focused answers.)

Nah, it might seem strange and that no one knows. The reason for that, is probably that child care in hospital in Thailand is free up to a certain age. Something that makes them no see the 30 baht scheme as a necessity at that low age.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Your Thai child can use any government hospital, no need to register.

It is my stepdaughter only, but thanks that you took your time to react ! I really mean that - not selfexplanatory at AN nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks.

When registered in a house book. You can use a copy of birth certificate and a copy of house book as proof.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It would require having a house registration in that area. If your wife's house registration is still in the NE, then the best way for her would be to register a change of address. If you are renting a house, she could ask to be added to the owners house registration. Whether they would agree to that or not is a different matter. If your wife owns the house, then she would normally already have a house registration for that address and be covered. 

Thank you very much that you took your time to answer so clearly and actually answer at all. As said above, more and more AN members seem to concentrate on not so really helpful answers. Yours is more than helpful and actually the highlight of the day.

My wife has her own house in Chonburi, so this means that she would be covered in Chonburi Hospital under the 30 Baht scheme automatically. I will further investigate if this requires still a registration at the hospital.

The baby of my Stepdaughter (I am a grandfather somehow !) was born there, too.

What did confuse me is that she said, that her old registration in Sikhio for the house which stands on her own land but is registered on her father (the house only, the Chanote is hers) does not need to be modified, but this is Thai administrational logic and complexity. Will sort that out, too. Her ID Card is for the Chonburi adress.

I wish you a nice evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Well let's see. 

Son and his wife happy with hospital where baby was born.

Since discovered that costs of kids innoculations have skyrocketed.

Consiering what other options are available.

Several friends say they are very happy with the baby hospital on Chang Klan rd.  Son called and was quite happy with the dicussions / services offered etc.

Son and wife asked other friends, many good comments re the baby hospital.

They will go there tomorrow to see for themselves the quality / professionalism of the baby hospital then decide for the future.

Sounds OK / logical  to me. 

Edited by scorecard

Automatic at birth, no registration is required.  This right is linked to the citizen's ID since birth. The location for receiving medical treatment is determined by the place of birth indicated in the house ID. The only administrative task you may need to consider is transferring your healthcare service to a different location, provided they are still accepting new enrollees.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1