Car plunges into sea at Sattahip pier following argument

webfact

image.jpeg

A shocking incident occurred in the early hours when a car plunged into the sea at the Sattahip – Koh Samui ferry pier, Chuk Samet, Sattahip, Chon Buri. One man managed to escape by breaking the car window, but two women remained trapped in the submerged vehicle. The event was captured on CCTV at around 4am today.

The scene of the car plunge was a wave barrier near the ferry pier’s slope. A 20 year old survivor, Raweephap, relayed the horrific moments leading up to the accident. He and his four friends, one man and three women, had travelled from Bangkok to vacation in Sattahip. After their outing, they drove a bronze Toyota car to drop off one of their female friends in Sattahip’s Samae San subdistrict. Raweephap and his friend sat in the back while another friend drove.

However, the driver got lost and ended up at Chuk Samet Pier. An argument ensued in the car, which culminated in the vehicle falling into the sea. In a state of shock, Raweephap managed to break the car’s window and escape. The two women, including the driver and the front-seat passenger, remained trapped in the sinking car.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo: KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wish I could say I've never stepped out of a car, leaving it in neutral on a slight incline and had to jump back in to set the brake harder.  Doesn't even take much of an incline.  The argument could have been the distraction that created the lapse in judgment.

Or the guy may have deliberately driven it off the pier.  

Hard to tell from the details presented.

Edited by impulse

I have had a few arguments in the car, over the years. Never drove off a pier, or fell into the sea over one.

You are wrong. No, I am right! Do not contradict me. Why are we arguing about this? Oops, I think I forgot to look where we were going. Sorry guys, I think we are heading for the big dunk.

8 hours ago, Denim said:

I guess one advantage of having manual windows instead of electric is that they still work under water.

Some cars have a sensor that opens all the windows when immersed in water. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 9:24 AM, impulse said:

Or the guy may have deliberately driven it off the pier. 

From the story, woman driver didn't get out, the man who escaped was in the front passenger seat. I know you want to blame the man, but I can't see how it could have been his fault.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

From the story, woman driver didn't get out, the man who escaped was in the front passenger seat. I know you want to blame the man, but I can't see how it could have been his fault.

I'm not blaming anyone.  Cars on an incline can start rolling, and the acceleration is so imperceptible that the occupants may not notice in time to avert a disaster. 

But I'm also open to the possibility it may have been foul play or some kind of f___nuttery gone tragically bad.

23 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm not blaming anyone.  Cars on an incline can start rolling, and the acceleration is so imperceptible that the occupants may not notice in time to avert a disaster. 

But I'm also open to the possibility it may have been foul play or some kind of f___nuttery gone tragically bad.

In your experience are piers built on an incline.....?

Edited by jacko45k