Samui vs Phuket

bignok

On 10/5/2023 at 7:52 AM, bignok said:

What does Samui have that Phuket doesnt? Is there loads of Russians there?

1) Rainy season in November-December, really wet and windy; while Phuket is fairly dry and calm.

2) Dry season when it's raining on Phuket.

3) Little less annual downpur than Phuket.

4) The real secret "Beach" at one the around 80 sister-islands, instead of a crowded film set.

5) Full Moon Party on neighboring island, Phangan's Sunrise Beach in Haad Rin.

6) Trendy beach parties, pubs and night clubs rather than bars (if you are looking for lady-bars, stay on Phuket).

7) Little less Russians than Phuket.

8.) Highest concentration of 5-star luxury hotels in Thailand, if you are into that kind of accommodation.

9) In general, the resorts are on the beaches – i.e. you live on the beach – the busy road is further back behind the hotels.

10) No tower buildings.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

1) Rainy season in November-December, really wet and windy; while Phuket is fairly dry and calm.

2) Dry season when it's raining on Phuket.

3) Little less annual downpur than Phuket.

4) The real secret "Beach" at one the around 80 sister-islands, instead of a crowded film set.

5) Full Moon Party on neighboring island, Phangan's Sunrise Beach in Haad Rin.

6) Trendy beach parties, pubs and night clubs rather than bars (if you are looking for lady-bars, stay on Phuket).

7) Little less Russians than Phuket.

8.) Highest concentration of 5-star luxury hotels in Thailand, if you are into that kind of accommodation.

9) In general, the resorts are on the beaches – i.e. you live on the beach – the busy road is further back behind the hotels.

10) No tower buildings.

Just a wee bit bias, but 'to each their own'.   

image.png.bc8e04fbae50081f99ed75f8fb32390b.png

I didn't like the place at all, and you could give me a free stay, and I wouldn't bother showing up, as not worth the drive or ferry, and I'm not that far away..

Time wise, if making 1st ferry or not, Phuket not that much further away.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sadly, the Thais didn't understand why foreign tourists liked the unspoiled beaches, and soon as got popular covered them in concrete.

Greed won.

Not sure about that, with few exception, all Phuket's beach are quite accessible for all.

Excuse my 'really nice' awe of the beaches, as it was high season during covid.  Playlist of Phuket's beaches:  

And people are concerned about drones, as you wouldn't  believe how far away I was.  Drone can't get that snap, unless noisily right behind that fine behind.  

Was actually there to get snap of sea eagles.

image.png.bd7157b8bcfe61485ee4ab23fa591506.png

And on closer examination, it's not an eagle ... but very nice:

DSN05380-2DN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure about that, with few exception, all Phuket's beach are quite accessible for all.

Excuse my 'really nice' awe of the beaches, as it was high season during covid.  Playlist of Phuket's beaches:  

And people are concerned about drones, as you wouldn't  believe how far away I was.  Drone can't get that snap, unless noisily right behind that fine behind.  

Was actually there to get snap of sea eagles.

image.png.bd7157b8bcfe61485ee4ab23fa591506.png

And on closer examination, it's not an eagle ... but very nice:

DSN05380-2DN.jpg

While I accept that people have different opinions of what makes a nice beach, I include what is behind the photographer. If it's concrete end to end, it's not a nice beach IMO. I've been on too many encroached beaches in LOS to be a fan of concrete. Hua Hin is the epitome of destroyed beach, if one has tried to walk along it at high tide. That's south of the city where the high rise buildings encroach below high tide, as no one is going to destroy the part where the palace is.

I ended up only going to the north and north east of Phangan as it had the least developed beaches that were easily reached. I expect that even they have been ruined by now.

However, none reach the level of horror that I experienced on Penang's beaches, but I didn't normally go to Penang anyway. First went in the 70s when there was minimal tourist development, and not again till about 2017, when it was paradise lost.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've been on too many encroached beaches in LOS to be a fan of concrete. Hua Hin is the epitome of destroyed beach, if one has tried to walk along it at high tide. That's south of the city where the high rise buildings encroach below high tide, as no one is going to destroy the part where the palace is.

Been on that stretch in HH, and the surf was lapping against the buildings. 

So far that hasn't happened on Phuket, and I doubt if it ever will.  They enforce the building codes a bit better there, except maybe building on a 30° pitch.  Some of the hillside buildings are scary.  A few have slid down in the past.

Lesson learned hopefully.

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Been on that stretch in HH, and the surf was lapping against the buildings. 

So far that hasn't happened on Phuket, and I doubt if it ever will.  They enforce the building codes a bit better there, except maybe building on a 30° pitch.  Some of the hillside buildings are scary.  A few have slid down in the past.

Lesson learned hopefully.

One hopes, but the Dark Side of the Force is strong, and greed usually wins in these sad days.

• Haha 1