Bad service, bike crashed, charged for parts which were not replaced. Complain? Get money back?

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just a few answers:

KTM bike, authorized KTM service center.

I did go back to the problematic place. With a red oil pressure waring lamp on. They told me they don't see any problem, I should come back if I have a problem.

No, I didn't drop it while drunk. I might ride after one or two beers, but definitely not drunk. And the cover is visibly scratched like it was pulled or pushed over a street. A simple drop doesn't leave scratches like that. And I also never work up one morning and thought: Where are all those scratches on my body from. ???? 

I see..

Well sadly it seems theres no way to prove. Unless... do you think you can ask to see cctv cams in the shop? Im pretty sure they have cctv every where. Probably they will refuse to show without any court order but worth to try to ask.

Again.. hope you can find a solution.  Sorry 

As far as the brake disk goes, they probably never changed it, and probably never adjusted the valves, only changed oil and air filter and simple stuff...

Engine cover scratches a bit harder to explain..., if they opened the engine, maybe put wrong cover, accidentally or deliberately from another bike...! 

Unless you had noticed it the next day, hard to argue now, just move on and never go there again..., less stress equals happier life... ????

• Like 1

My wife crashed her car and it was in the shop for a month or so having the front end replaced. The car was not very old 15 months or so. When we finally got the car back it looked like new but drove like a horse and cart. I took it into the vehicle dealer and got a story back that I needed new shock absorbers......at 15 months old I asked? They said the shocks on the car were not the original manufacturers equipment (Ford) and that they were very old. Now Like the OP, the car was dealer serviced, and no one else had access to the car. But like to OP, am I prepared to go through the hassle with a local gang of thieves who might burn down my house if I complain?

• Like 1

Was this by a current dealer? ones that sell multiple brands on the same premise? I was looking at Royal Enfield and the ones near me in Asok on Petchburi Rd has KTM together there

KTM franchise seem to change hands frequently, every 2-3 years there's announcement of new distributor/importer and the previous ones no longer has anything to do with supporting owners.

And just a warning if you own a car.

My wife went to a famous service chain for oil change. A few months later she noticed one of those serial number plates that are inside your car missing.

Who knows what else they "remove" when you take it for the service. 

• Like 1

Just because you took it to the second place does not mean they are correct.

Could the bike have been crashed by the second place?

The second places recommendations may not be accurate. 

I guess you could self inspect the brake yourself and see if it looks new or not.

If it were me I would take it back to the first place and ask them to fix it vorrectly free of charge, not just go from place to place paying for the work to be re-done.

Talk to the manager and the mechanic who did it loses a little face and does it vorrectly. check for brakes leaks before you drive home in case they got pissed off.

Edited by JimTripper

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Just because you took it to the second place does not mean they are correct.

Could the bike have been crashed by the second place?

The second places recommendations may not be accurate. 

I guess you could self inspect the brake yourself and see if it looks new or not.

If it were me I would take it back to the first place and ask them to fix it vorrectly free of charge, not just go from place to place paying for the work to be re-done.

I gave the last place, and the place before that, any chance to do the right thing. They didn't.

Until now I don't know if the new guy is the perfect guy. But he explained in detail, with pictures, what is wrong. In some cases he also pointed out things which are not perfect, but expensive to repair, and he didn't push me to repair those expensive things.

What would you do with any car or motorcycle shop who you show the red oil pressure warning, and they tell you to ignore it and come back when you have a problem? Would you do that? Would you use an engine with possible low oil pressure and wait until it destroys itself? I don't. And I will never go again to a place where the service manager tells me to ignore an oil-pressure warning.

In general, I have many shops where I go again and again for years. I am not just complaining all the time.

I.e. I had a guy who serviced my Honda NC30 for years. Sometimes I had to wait. Ok, I accept that that is reality. He didn't tell me any BS. Good news, bad news, all is acceptable. But don't lie.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I gave the last place, and the place before that, any chance to do the right thing. They didn't.

Until now I don't know if the new guy is the perfect guy. But he explained in detail, with pictures, what is wrong. In some cases he also pointed out things which are not perfect, but expensive to repair, and he didn't push me to repair those expensive things.

What would you do with any car or motorcycle shop who you show the red oil pressure warning, and they tell you to ignore it and come back when you have a problem? Would you do that? Would you use an engine with possible low oil pressure and wait until it destroys itself? I don't. And I will never go again to a place where the service manager tells me to ignore an oil-pressure warning.

In general, I have many shops where I go again and again for years. I am not just complaining all the time.

I.e. I had a guy who serviced my Honda NC30 for years. Sometimes I had to wait. Ok, I accept that that is reality. He didn't tell me any BS. Good news, bad news, all is acceptable. But don't lie.

Only option then would be to pay by card and dispute with the bank later on and get it re-done somewhere else. I'm not sure how that works in Thailand in terms of getting the money back.

dispute reason is services not rendered or received backed up with pictures and the new mechanics recommendation on having it re-done.

Edited by JimTripper

• 4 weeks later...

many years ago my brother took his Ford  Mondeo company cars  to have a service  at ford dealer , he got it back  and after a week he thought it was gutless , we looked under the bonnet and instead of a 2l engine it had a much older 1.6l in  ..this was in Brighton in 1998

needless to say   it all got nasty

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1