Mens shirts - Cotton - where ?

Alittleguy

Guys,

I am trying to find decent mens shirts, ideally made in 100% Cotton as they are lighter and cooler in this humidity. All I seem to see wherever I go is these lumberjack type pattern check shirts, I tried one or two Tailors but they want 1500bt and up which I am not prepared to pay for an everyday shirt. Where are you guys getting your shirts? I also looked on Lazada but their sizing is obviously Asian and too small. I need about 46 chest. in a plain color or may be something other than damn check.

Any suggestions and help ?

Thanks

Edited by Alittleguy
  • Like 1

https://www.uniqlo.com/th/th/products/E457445-000?colorCode=COL55&sizeCode=SMA006&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwoPFqbbjgQMVA3grCh2DyQTgEAEYASAEEgI7z_D_BwE

probably have plain too. the trouble with lcal Thai "100% cotton" is that they can contain nylon/polyester - probably so they don't crease - they feel thermal in the heat

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

Western vs Asian sizing…

WRT Uniqlo…even though it’s a different style…here is a size comparison photo between a Ralph Lauren T-shirt purchased from the Ralph Lauren website in the US. (size XL Tall (not XL Big)) and a Uniqlo XL purchased in the store in BKK.  Even the RL slim fit shirts are like tents compared to Uniqlo.

IMG_1008.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Western vs Asian sizing…

WRT Uniqlo…even though it’s a different style…here is a size comparison photo between a Ralph Lauren T-shirt purchased from the Ralph Lauren website in the US. (size XL Tall (not XL Big)) and a Uniqlo XL purchased in the store in BKK.  Even the RL slim fit shirts are like tents compared to Uniqlo.

IMG_1008.jpeg

Thanks but not interested in T-shirts.

On 10/7/2023 at 1:49 PM, Alittleguy said:

Guys,

I am trying to find decent mens shirts, ideally made in 100% Cotton as they are lighter and cooler in this humidity. All I seem to see wherever I go is these lumberjack type pattern check shirts, I tried one or two Tailors but they want 1500bt and up which I am not prepared to pay for an everyday shirt. Where are you guys getting your shirts? I also looked on Lazada but their sizing is obviously Asian and too small. I need about 46 chest. in a plain color or may be something other than damn check.

Thanks

I buy beautiful 100% cotton shirts on Lazada.. Go into a shop try on a shirt or three and use that size to buy from Lazada.. Maybe buy 1 or 2 and see if they fit.. Normally I would be L, here in am 2XL..

On 10/7/2023 at 1:49 PM, Alittleguy said:

Guys,

Thanks

Where are you based?  I pay 800 Baht for tailored shirts (used to be 600 Baht).

Robinson Department Stores (Menswear) in Central Plazas??

When I lived in Thailand, I bought my cotton shirts across the border at the Burmese Duty Free shop in Tachilek. The sizes were akin to UK sizes and comfortable. (currently cannot do - Junta)

• Thumbs Up 1

Central/Robinson's Department Stores have all the major Thai brands in men's shirts.  In BKK, go to the old Tokyu Department Store adjacent to MBK for better deals on closeouts from said brands.  3rd floor.

In Pattaya go to the Tuesday/Friday Soi Baukhao market.  There are stalls selling 100% cotton "name brand" shirts that are as good as any I ever bought in the USA.  They sell to many farangs so they know what size will fit.  If you have a question about the fit just hold the shirt by the shoulders, with the back of the shirt pressed up to your back and check the shoulder joints, girth, etc. 

Last time I bought some was pre-Covid and I negotiated a cost of 200 Bt/shirt by buying 3 at a time, but prices may be higher now.  I still wear the shirts after three years and they still look fine.

For cargo shorts, made from cut down ( overrun or rejected?) cargo pants, go to the second floor of the Big C on Pattaya Klang (Central Pattaya Rd) in front of the area between Big C and Home Pro. - 200-300 Bt depending on size.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Off topic, I know, but do they have linen pants?  I love linen pants in the tropics.

Yes they do,

but not sure if you can find your size among sale items. I bought 2 linen pants and 3 shirts on 1st day of sale. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cotton Shirts are not as comfortable in this sticky climate! Try Linen, its made from Silk! Its looser weave and porous fibers are stronger and more durable. The fibers in linen are longer and wrapped tighter compared to cotton. Use Search "Linen Shirt" in Lazada. Prices are near the 100% Cotton ones! 

I've used this LAZADA seller for 4 years for comfortable, properly sized, good quality cotton TShirts.  Still wearing ones I bought 4 years ago.  The colors are very durable.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1974794757-s6318798113.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=758067905586229&tradeOrderLineId=758067905686229

I totally disagree with those who claim 100% cotton is not comfortable in the heat.  Twenty years in Thailand and I've tried just about every material and blend on the market and 100% cotton for me is the best overall.

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

or cargo shorts, made from cut down ( overrun or rejected?) cargo pants, go to the second floor of the Big C on Pattaya Klang (Central Pattaya Rd) in front of the area between Big C and Home Pro. - 200-300 Bt depending on size

There is a seller on Lazada who sells these same 2nd hand cut down shorts for around 70 baht each. I bought 6 pair. I pair too large but the rest were properly sized.  Color and material is random. Three were Khaki, the rest dark.

12 hours ago, The Theory said:

Linen shirts ? Muji and H&M 

H&M has a big sale. I bought 3 linen shirts for ฿700 each. 

Definitely H&M is the best in Thailand for a reasonable price. Good quality cotton in a full range of sizes and stores in basically every department store all over the country.

https://th.hm.com/th_en/sale/men/shirts.html

I find Muji and Uniqlo tend to have sizes suitable for stocky Asians so either end up too short or too loose.

Edited by edwardandtubs

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Cotton Shirts are not as comfortable in this sticky climate! Try Linen, its made from Silk! Its looser weave and porous fibers are stronger and more durable. The fibers in linen are longer and wrapped tighter compared to cotton. Use Search "Linen Shirt" in Lazada. Prices are near the 100% Cotton ones! 

Fashion hint: white skin + dark hairy chest + white linen = disaster!

On 10/7/2023 at 2:21 PM, impulse said:

If you're up for a slog, I like going to BoBae Market, nearby Hua Lampong MRT/ Train station in BKK.  It's a huge wholesale market for all kinds of clothes.   Don't just stay on the street market.  There's a couple of buildings that also have many floors of all kinds of clothes.

I especially like going there for flowered Songkran shirts.  I wear them a lot because they don't show dripping sweat as much as a solid colored shirt.  And the chicks back home are always complimenting me on them (though I think they just want my attention).

This website says it's close to National Stadium, but I always walk there from Hua Lampong, just go to the right out of the station and follow the stanky river for about a km.  Takes me about 10 minutes, but a local with his head in his phone would take more like 15-20.

https://www.thethailandlife.com/best-bangkok-markets

Edit:  If you're into low effort, go to MBK (BTS National Stadium stop) and find the far end of the building and the floors that have hundreds of clothing kiosks and shops.  Pretty amazing selection and air conditioned.

I thought Bobae - the bigger part of it - had moved to somewhere near Laksi or Rangsit?

5 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Linen is made from flax, not silk.

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

I thought Bobae - the bigger part of it - had moved to somewhere near Laksi or Rangsit?

I was there during Songkran this year and it was still very active.  I don't know if it shrank, because I found what I wanted very quickly and didn't wander around as much as I have in the past.