Leaving to go to Thailand too young

37 minutes ago, bbko said:

I don't know how other country's social security systems work, but in the USA, when you retire, you get back what you paid into.   When I've spoken with some young Americans that wanted to live here (making money under the radar) I'll try to remind them when they're old the monthly payday will be super small.

And what if you didn't work ,how much do you get then?

Strange social security system 

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, retarius said:

Hey these kids are having an experience. They will learn from it whether it goes right or wrong. Good luck to them I say. I left England in my late 20s and never went back. Hate the place. I had some set backs but was able to retire at 54 and live comfortably. 

I don't think it is about age per se, more about life experience and ability to earn a living. A cosseted kid from a wealthy family might not do as well as a hardscrabble kid from a council estate.

You took a risk ,not sure what you did in your life but to retire at 54 is great ....unless of course your on a disability pension or something 

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

And what if you didn't work ,how much do you get then?

Strange social security system 

Not work their entire "young" life? And then expect money when too old to work?? 555.

How does the social security system in your country work?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

the concept of retiring that the older generation grew into is not the same as the newer generations are facing. 

so comparing both is a little pointless. 

i see the desire to live while you can when you are young as the prospects of future stability are shrinking daily. 

And if you fail ,unless you have some sort of uni degree in medicine or whatever then you come back to farangland looking for a job in middle age broke !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

Not work their entire "young" life? And then expect money when too old to work?? 555.

How does the social security system in your country work?

In Australia if you can't find a job and believe me ( there is some who say they can't find a job the last 20 years)  then they get unemployment benefits,I think it's around $600 a fortnight.

How some of these people can't find jobs is unbelievable,unless some work for cash money then claim unemployment benefit too I'm thinking 

Of course if you can prove you have a disability before age 67 you can apply for the disability pension which is not easy to get .

For the old age pension, You need to be 67yo though to get the old age pension,I think it around $1100 a fortnight 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

when I meet younger guys who want to live here, I always remind them that its easy to get into thailand, the trick is being able to stay here long term, and that its not as easy to set up some kind of business as they might imagine.

I know several girls in their early-mid 30's who have good jobs and they have had to deal with similar age foreign guys that they were in relationships with for a few years moving back home. They feel that they have wasted years on a guy who up and left.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Celsius said:

So, yeah.... I just wander what is so smart about coming to Thailand when you are old? You are stuck with the absolute worst quality of women, you can barely move on these 3rd world roads and you look absolutely bitter while passing me by on the street because your brother in law is banging your wife and taking your money. Then you start nursing the bottle 24/7 and participate on the one of the most important topics on aseannow which is the price of beer and 100 baht English breakfast.

Livin' the dream!

As far as I can see, we're all fishing in the same pond.

Chuck 'em back so someone else can have a go.

• Haha 1