American Tourist Arrested for Stabbing Incident in Chiang Mai

webfact

27 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Do you ever get the facts straight? Do a little research and you'll find out that Israel has some of the most restrictive Gun Control laws in the world with fewer than 8% of Israeli homes having firearms.

Tough gun control, ok, thanks for mining that on wiki btw. Years ago, while at the ‘lowest bar in the world’ at Ein Gedi,  two seniors citizens always brought in their old uzzis. Granted they did check them at the bar. That, and a few other incidents gave me the wrong idea about gun control in Israel. I stand corrected.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcheech said:

A anti gun control post in a Chiang Mai stabbing thread? You see everything these days. Gun control in Israel, where military service is compulsory and ex service people keep weapons at their home. Better up your anti gun control posting game, not just toss it against the wall and hope something sticks.
Cheers

Sorry, Cheech, it's true that almost no one in those kibbutzim had a gun at home.  The few that did made a huge difference.

50 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Tough gun control, ok, thanks for mining that on wiki btw. Years ago, while at the ‘lowest bar in the world’ at Ein Gedi,  two seniors citizens always brought in their old uzzis. Granted they did check them at the bar. That, and a few other incidents gave me the wrong idea about gun control in Israel. I stand corrected.  :biggrin:

I lived and worked in Israel for five months and also stayed at the youth hostel in Ein Gedi and I also saw visitors there who were armed. However, unlike you, I'm still not too lazy to do a little research. Also, no mining of Wiki was necessary, given the fact that the demand by Israelis that their government loosen its restrictions on private gun ownership is current news there.

Edited by oslooskar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I lived and worked in Israel for five months

Sure you did.  

Back to Chiang Mai, it does seem like we are getting more of these 'fringe types' in the mini US expat wave. Still posters on AN will be relieved the perp is not a ‘Woke person’.  According to posters here they are more dangerous a menace, even than this deranged knife welding nutter.    

• Like 1

American man arrested in Chiang Mai after two Dutch tourists stabbed

By Peter Roche

image.jpeg
PHOTO: Sanook

Police in Chiang Mai have arrested an American man who allegedly stabbed two Dutch tourists in the main city district.

Other media reported victims as Norwegian.

A search for 27 year old Brian Andrew Burggraf reportedly got underway after the stabbing of 52 year old tourist, Erik Jan, and his 20 year old son, Colin Mike, during the evening of Wednesday, October 11.

Full story: PhuketGO 2023-10-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

20 hours ago, phetphet said:

Will the US Embassy step in I wonder.

The following is from the U.S. Embassy's website.

While in Thailand, U.S. citizens are subject to its laws and regulations. Persons violating the law in Thailand, even unknowingly, may be fined, arrested, and/or deported. If detained, a U.S. citizen will have to go through the Thai legal process of being charged, prosecuted, and possibly convicted and sentenced. It is important to keep in mind that the legal process in Thailand can differ significantly from the one in the United States and may not provide the same protections available in the United States.

In the event of an arrest, the U.S. Embassy will do all that it can to ensure that a U.S. citizen is not discriminated against under local Thai law, but it will not be able to guarantee the same protections available under U.S. law.

U.S. consular officers provide a wide variety of services to U.S. citizens arrested abroad and their families; however, they cannot interfere in the Thai judicial process.

If a U.S. citizen is arrested, ACS Consular officials should be notified immediately. This may be done by the police at the time of arrest, or by a friend or relative of the detainee.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JCauto said:

Well, I mean, one of those assumptions is that you're probably not so well educated, and evidence is that you completely misunderstood the statement. Americans are more shooty than stabby, as ably pointed out by another poster. 

ok then instead their words your seemingly back up --lets take your direct post...tell me more about my education as you seem to know all about me....do tell.......oh wise one.....

albeit you may be right about my education as im willingly engaging you and using this site...

but in my own defense I am wise enough to know Ill be leaving this crap site next week....so....

14 hours ago, oslooskar said:

I guess all those unarmed Israelis who were just butchered by Hamas terrorists felt safe with their country's strict Gun Control laws. Sadly, they weren't.

This is hardly the same situation or even universe. Or is every American conscripted and given guns and training similar to Israel? Do Canada and/or Mexico threaten to drive Americans into the sea and launch raids into their territory? 

What would be relevant in this case is the rate of school shootings and other ordinary carnage that occurs in Israel that is unconnected to terrorism. I think you'll find it much lower than in the USA, although to be fair I haven't checked. 

Perhaps that is the lesson - when people are properly trained and armed for legitimate purposes then you don't get the problems like in the USA where people buy guns for no good reasons and don't have to be trained, store them properly etc. 

On 10/12/2023 at 12:50 PM, expat_4_life said:

What are the odds the assailant goes with the "Reefer Madness" defense? ????

Strange situation ........ why would he attack a middle aged Dutch person and his son?

Edited by BritManToo
Read the full story

9 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Do you ever get the facts straight? Do a little research and you'll find out that Israel has some of the most restrictive Gun Control laws in the world with fewer than 8% of Israeli homes having firearms.

Not sure what Israel has to do with this story.

But last time I was there nearly all Israeli men carried a rifle 24/7.

Remember some parties on the beach, evenings round a camp fire, wigwams of rifles stacked beside us. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 11:23 PM, Cardinalblue1958 said:

Trying to follow your logic…watching movies and videos don’t lead to pocket knife attacks…AK-47 a more suitable weapon of choice based on your hypotheses 

Environment is far stronger than willpower for many. Watching violence likely influences unstable people into making bad decisions. 

4 hours ago, JCauto said:

What would be relevant in this case is the rate of school shootings and other ordinary carnage that occurs in Israel that is unconnected to terrorism. I think you'll find it much lower than in the USA, although to be fair I haven't checked.

Give me a break, Pal! How, in the name of God, would that be relevant, given the fact that the United States is racially and ethnically diverse, whereas Israel's population is mostly homogenous, with the majority of its population being Jewish.

On 10/12/2023 at 1:10 PM, spidermike007 said:

Perhaps this fool was watching too many action movies, or video games. Or jacked up on yaba. What an idiot. The only reason to ever use a knife on someone, is if you or your family's life is being threatened. Otherwise, it will be nothing but regret. Years and years of regret. Unless he is a psychopath. 

false. it's the opposite way. you play shooting game cuz u can't shoot retards in real life, so you get  out the frustration in the game at least. 

without the game, u get it out in real life.

you're welcome

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ok then instead their words your seemingly back up --lets take your direct post...tell me more about my education as you seem to know all about me....do tell.......oh wise one.....

albeit you may be right about my education as im willingly engaging you and using this site...

but in my own defense I am wise enough to know Ill be leaving this crap site next week....so....

Why wait.

On 10/12/2023 at 4:37 PM, oslooskar said:

On the contrary, you're the one who doesn't get it. The two sentences I referenced do contain a contradiction, given the context that they are related to the same altercation and involve the same police agency and the threat posed by Brian. In the first sentence, it is stated that the city's law enforcement quickly neutralized the threat, suggesting that the situation was resolved promptly. However, the second sentence states that the municipal and tourist police forces tracked down Brian at a nearby inn the next day, implying that Brian was not immediately apprehended or the threat fully eliminated. So, no offense intended, but you might want to consider taking a course in reading comprehension. Also, maybe some anger management counseling might be in order as well. 

on contrary, u da one who don't get it ????????

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, BritScot said:

This could be correct as the media fail to report any crimes thwarted including attempted mass shooting by legal carry in America.  Far more prevented by right to carry.  Criminals should not be the only one's carrying firearms.

I'd ask you for some evidence of that which might be considered credible but I think we both know that this is utter fantasy and nothing is forthcoming. 

15 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Give me a break, Pal! How, in the name of God, would that be relevant, given the fact that the United States is racially and ethnically diverse, whereas Israel's population is mostly homogenous, with the majority of its population being Jewish.

Homogenous? I take it you're not acquainted with many Jewish people?  It's your contention that the main factor in shootings in America are because of diversity?

How...interesting! I would again ask for evidence of this rather unique pro-gun argument, at least you get marks for creativity! From what I can tell, most shootings are inter-familial and among the same ethnic groups although I am not a scholar on this nor have I researched it deeply. I would say we should put "cops" as a separate group in this analysis since they are more of an exclusive club and will happily shoot anyone who's not a cop regardless of color. Although of course they have a clear preference... 

By the way there are two main Jewish groups from an ethnic/genetic point of view, Ashkenazi and Sephardic. Politically it makes America seem a bit of a monolith. 

• Confused 1