Government to trial 4 am closing for Thailand’s nightlife venues

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai government is working to identify pilot locations for a trial of late-night closing for the country’s nightlife. Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul says his office is liaising with related parties to find locations where entertainment venues would be allowed to remain open until 4 am.

Phuket’s Patong beach will certainly be included in these trials.

The initiative is part of a new regulation introduced by PM Srettha Thavisin, to extend the official 2 am closing time by two hours, to boost tourism and stimulate the economy with the late night revellers.

By Peter Roche

Flickr/shankar s

Full story: PhuketGO 2023-10-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

I go to Udon mostly at exactly 12pm bars close police parol up n down looking for bars that are still serving customers, A few places pay the local plod but its lights out at 12.

They close the bars at midday in Udon? Goodness me, what a hellhole. I'll stay in Bankkok thank you very much.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is common in Europe for venues to be open until dawn. People from there might come to Thailand to have fun and wonder why they can't stay out as long as they do at home if they want to. Combine that with the bizarre alcohol laws - hours you can buy, bar closures for various reasons that have nothing to do with tourists or any other non-Thais ....

These countries have adequate zoning and noise laws however.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Seems like a smart move to me. I recall it was open 24x7 back in the late 90s - that was a hoot.

Not true...! Unless you are talking about Thermae, and a few other low-life places. Been living and working in the CBD since 1994.

Of course walking down Sukhumvit and many side streets were not immune to lot's of 'action'.

Edited by tkramer

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes when I am up early and ride with my bike to the fresh market a little after 6am I see the leftover from last night on Sukhumvit. It doesn't look good. And I don't think it will look any better with extended opening hours. 

Sukhumvit bars and clubs close at 2-3am currently. Anything you see at 6am is completely unrelated to nightlife venues - mostly street workers who were there (the street) all night, and will be there regardless of when bars close. If anything extended opening hours will get some people OFF the street and into those venues.

2 hours ago, Venom said:

It's about attracting those quality tourists. Sleep all day up all night.???? 

And who made you the arbiter of "quality"? Night owls are more intelligent, more creative, and more successful than morning folk. Just because I prefer to start my night at 1am in a classy venue doesn't make me any less "quality" than some dude in a wife beater drinking in a beer bar from noon till he passes out. The majority of problems and incidents happen with people who start drinking early, not late.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So does he really think that tourists come here because they can drink until 4am? And how much will those 'thousands' of pi55 head mongers actually spend in those last few hours, and the monies collected be declared for tax ? 

New arrival?

You don't seem to know much about it with that opinion. 4am is just going back to what it used to be before Thaksin's henchman tried to destroy farang nightlife.

I used to frequent a gogo that was open past dawn, and it wasn't the only one by far. In Pattaya there were always bars open 24/7.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Sukhumvit bars and clubs close at 2-3am currently. Anything you see at 6am is completely unrelated to nightlife venues - mostly street workers who were there (the street) all night, and will be there regardless of when bars close. If anything extended opening hours will get some people OFF the street and into those venues.

Before Thaksin, there were no bars along Sukhumvit, as the gogos were open longer, and dancers didn't look for customers outside the bars.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

New arrival?

You don't seem to know much about it with that opinion. 4am is just going back to what it used to be before Thaksin's henchman tried to destroy farang nightlife.

I used to frequent a gogo that was open past dawn, and it wasn't the only one by far. In Pattaya there were always bars open 24/7.

Yes, new arrival in 2009. I just feel sorry for those who need to drink until the early hours, or 24 hours. 

How many Thai drinkers will welcome the extended boozing hours if it comes to be?

• Thumbs Up 1