Do I have to have an inbound flight from my home country/consulate for the tourist e-visa?

I'm planning to go to Japan from the US before heading to Thailand. Would there be an issue if my flight on the visa application was from Japan instead of my home country? Or would it be better to apply instead while in Japan to the local embassy?

When applying for the eVisa that needs to be done from your home-country. 

So in your case it would be recommended that you provide both flight reservations (the one from USA to Japan, as well as the later flight from Japan to Thailand) when applying for the eVisa.  

Alternatively you could when in Japan apply in person at the Thai Embassy/Consulate for the Visa.  But that would probably require 2 visits (one for the application and one to pick up the Visa after approval - and if the Thai Embassy in Japan keeps your passport during the application that would be rather inconvenient).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Alternatively you could when in Japan apply in person at the Thai Embassy/Consulate for the Visa. 

Are you sure that they issue visas to an applicant who isn't a resident of Japan? That shouldn't be taken for granted.

The OP can apply for the eVisa while still at home in the US. If the embassy questions the itinerary (unlikely IMHO), the OP can provide them with his ticket from the US to Japan as further proof. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Are you sure that they issue visas to an applicant who isn't a resident of Japan? That shouldn't be taken for granted.

I seem to recall from another post that it was possible, but in order to make sure I just asked ChatGPT (featured on AseanNow - 7th tab in the top ribbon on the AN Homepage)

> Can a US citizen apply for a Visa to visit Thailand at the Thai embassy in Japan?

And the program provided the following answer:

> Yes, a US citizen can apply for a visa to visit Thailand at the Thai embassy or consulate in Japan. As long as you are in Japan and meet the requirements for a Thai visa, you can submit your application at the nearest Thai embassy or consulate. It is always recommended to contact the embassy or consulate beforehand to inquire about specific requirements and procedures for applying for a visa.

= = =

But of course, applying for the eVisa in his home-country would be far easier and the flight-itinerary would most probably not pose a problem (especially if he provided both  reservations covering the full itinerary US - Japan - Thailand).

8 hours ago, camko said:

I'm planning to go to Japan from the US before heading to Thailand. Would there be an issue if my flight on the visa application was from Japan instead of my home country? Or would it be better to apply instead while in Japan to the local embassy?

Do not think of trying that (unless you have a Japanese residence permit). The Thai embassy in Tokyo does not accept applications from foreigners.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Do not think of trying that (unless you have a Japanese residence permit). The Thai embassy in Tokyo does not accept applications from foreigners.

Lol - ChatGTP putting you on the wrong foot with their answer, although the program sensibly recommends to "contact the embassy or consulate beforehand to inquire about specific requirements and procedures for applying for a visa."

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Lol - ChatGTP putting you on the wrong foot with their answer, although the program sensibly recommends to "contact the embassy or consulate beforehand to inquire about specific requirements and procedures for applying for a visa."

Maybe bit of lost in translation.

Certainly regarding a METV for Thailand you need to be Japanese or permanent residence status if applying in Japan

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yep, the ChatGTP program has severe limitations.  Often when you keep on asking, it walks back earlier-made 'hard' statements when being queried on them.

If you ask it a question based on a false premise like "why are curried eels so popular in the UK?" it comes out with nonsense like:

• Cultural Significance: Curried eels became part of the culinary identity of the East End and were often sold by street vendors in the area. This cultural connection contributed to their popularity in the region.

• Adaptation to Local Tastes: The spicy and flavorful curry sauce was added to eels to make them more palatable and appealing to the local population.

• Nostalgia: For many older Londoners, curried eels hold a sense of nostalgia and a connection to their cultural heritage. Even though their popularity has declined, some people still enjoy them for sentimental reasons.

It's fine for generating text based on given prompts but it shouldn't be seen as an alternative to research, expertise and critical thinking.

• Thumbs Up 1