Thailand needs to calm down it's rush to EV !

TorquayFan

6 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

ultracrepidarian and bad-mannered congratulations

Obviously I ment BEV, what were we talking about Battery absent Vehicles ?  

Also congratulations are in order on your Humoractomy, it seems the operation was a success.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Really, he's just bought a new Tesla, cost him maybe $70,000. Is he just supposed to throw it away? He has no choice but to buy the new battery.

Just bought .... I don't think so, warranty?

Better research, better choices.   I wouldn't buy a car where you have to replace the whole battery bank.   Only buy if you could replace the modules.

• Thumbs Up 1

Khun LA - that's interesting - if you can replace modules - hadn't heard of that AA/AAA/Z+ ?

On a different tack - Maybe parking EV will have to be on the ground floor only in times to come ?

In the DT today - talk of higher parking charges for EV

"More spacious parking facilities will be needed because of the risk of fires.With councils increasing car park fees all the time, often for dubious environmental reasons, parking your car can already be prohibitively expensive. But the switch to electric vehicles could well make it pricier still. 

According to a new report from the consultants Arup, our car parks may need to become a lot more spacious because of the risk of fires. Simply put: parking spaces will have to be bigger, or cars will have to be parked further apart, because of the danger of electric battery fires spreading out of control."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/18/electric-car-revolution-to-get-even-more-expensive/

Many other points in that link.

• Sad 1

Bassosa - I remember mentioning my age here but of course, I'll be too old to drive at some stage, as you will be too, if you are lucky.

If you have an EV I hope you enjoy it but it certainly wouldn't suit me, as I travel from Chantaburi to Lamphun, Kanchanaburi and Korat regularly - pit stops only ! The recharge fiasco would 'drive' me potty.

If fears about fire, insurance, battery replacement, water ingress, parking costs etc. prove overstated as our experience grows, I might consider an EV for local work only, should I be fortunate enough to reach my 'dotage'.

ATB

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2023 at 8:15 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Batteries are waterproof, you can drive through a flood, but I wouldn’t recommend leaving it parked in one

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-owner-charged-21-000-to-fix-rain-damaged-battery-1850933156

and when it comes to Chinese vehicles they are "really really good" covering all issues...

12 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-owner-charged-21-000-to-fix-rain-damaged-battery-1850933156

and when it comes to Chinese vehicles they are "really really good" covering all issues...

One thing I always check, as best as possible.  Warranty exclusion, and MG doesn't have any unrealistic ones.   

Water damage ... that's enough not to buy, and may hurt sales if reported enough.

Though saying that, can only find non Thai script warranties, besides the basic summary of 8 yr & performance.

But no water exclusion in any of them.  If something like that was to happen with me, the car might get parked in a 'high theft zone' and left running ... 😂

Which with the insurance I have now, I would get a new at no cost, as totaled/stolen value is at the new discounted price for same car 😂

As long as the dog is not in the car, feel free to steal it.

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't think we have heard the full story on this case.

Agreed, as just doesn't sound right.  

Warranty states it does not cover 'flood damage', and was my first suspicion. 

35 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

One thing I always check, as best as possible.  Warranty exclusion, and MG doesn't have any unrealistic ones.   

Water damage ... that's enough not to buy, and may hurt sales if reported enough.

Though saying that, can only find non Thai script warranties, besides the basic summary of 8 yr & performance.

But no water exclusion in any of them.  If something like that was to happen with me, the car might get parked in a 'high theft zone' and left running ... 😂

Which with the insurance I have now, I would get a new at no cost, as totaled/stolen value is at the new discounted price for same car 😂

As long as the dog is not in the car, feel free to steal it.

On MG ZS EV Generation 1 2019 it has been reported that some MG owners have had to claim on their car insurance as MG stated that water ingress in battery isn't covered by warranty

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=5375673082481225&set=p.5375673082481225&type=3

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

On MG ZS EV Generation 1 2019 it has been reported that some MG owners have had to claim on their car insurance as MG stated that water ingress in battery isn't covered by warranty

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=5375673082481225&set=p.5375673082481225&type=3

FB, if in TH, may fall under flood damage, though not sure if that's an exclusion, though would think so. 

Common sense would be, don't let you car get flooded, and certainly wouldn't be MG's fault or responsibility.

If where I lived was prone to flooding, as other EV owner has stated, I certainly wouldn't own one.

A Celerio with snorkel would be the way to go ... 😂

• Thumbs Up 1

For Tesla UK warranty exclusions are

Tesla makes exceptions Small print including, but not limited to, accidents, improper modifications, unqualified repair, overloading, fire, explosion, earthquake, storm, lightning, hail, flood or deep water.

A Tesla manager then announced that the damage was actually caused by the bad Scottish weather and without any outside influence – but that the manufacturer would not be liable for it because there was a weather warning for the day and time in which the vehicle was damaged .

https://time.news/tesla-stood-in-the-rain-and-broke-down-couple-should-pay-20000-euros/

I see weather warnings here on a daily basis 

24 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

For Tesla UK warranty exclusions are

Tesla makes exceptions Small print including, but not limited to, accidents, improper modifications, unqualified repair, overloading, fire, explosion, earthquake, storm, lightning, hail, flood or deep water.

A Tesla manager then announced that the damage was actually caused by the bad Scottish weather and without any outside influence – but that the manufacturer would not be liable for it because there was a weather warning for the day and time in which the vehicle was damaged .

https://time.news/tesla-stood-in-the-rain-and-broke-down-couple-should-pay-20000-euros/

I see weather warnings here on a daily basis 

Not that small, as easily found, and don't know how any Tesla buying could miss it.

Who doesn't read the warranty of the car they are thinking of buying ?   Som nam na

Is Tesla stating they think the owner 'drove through flood water' ?

He said/he said, and sad that civil court may be needed to sort it out.  If all is as reported.

Who to believe ?

I posted earlier, I wouldn't drive my ICEV though flood water in Krung Thep last year.  Though many other were, and damn floor board+ depth.  Surprised many didn't stall out as I watched.

Went back in the mall and killed an hour till it subsided.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Interesting comments from the USA here as EV 'buyer remorse' strikes. I read some time ago that VW was cutting back EV production in Germany.

New solid state battery tech from Toyota looks very interesting but is 4 years away from market - assuming it works well. Toyota talk about doubling mileage and much quicker charging times. That WOULD be very interesting. Let's see.

Even if batteries improve massively, EV's for everyone won't be possible for other reasons. Meantime - ICE for me.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Interesting comments from the USA here as EV 'buyer remorse' strikes. I read some time ago that VW was cutting back EV production in Germany.

New solid state battery tech from Toyota looks very interesting but is 4 years away from market - assuming it works well. Toyota talk about doubling mileage and much quicker charging times. That WOULD be very interesting. Let's see.

Even if batteries improve massively, EV's for everyone won't be possible for other reasons. Meantime - ICE for me.

Luddite 😉

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Most of the EVs sold in America are crap products whereas the ones sold in Thailand are of much better quality and value for money.

EVs are not for everyone for a variety of reasons. This has been stated by EV owners repeatedly. But for those where it’s practical (able to charge at home, not frequent long distance trips etc), the benefits completely overwhelm ICEs. Low maintenance costs, cheap “fuel”, no emissions, smooth quiet and comfortable journeys. Sadly, you won’t ever get to enjoy the benefits.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

At the moment there is a 10,000 euro difference in producing an EV in China rather than the EU or the UK
Currently there is a 10% tariff imposed on all cars entering the EU from China
Even with the 10% tariff imposed it still works out cheaper for Brands to build in China and import
VW, Tesla, BMW and Renault are already buildings cars in China for the European market citing lack of spare production facilities in Europe
PwC recently predicted automakers will sell 800,000 cars imported into Europe from China.

https://www.autonews.com/china/chinas-ev-exports-europe-will-soar-2025-report-says

13 minutes ago, transam said:

'sources' (unmentioned) seem a bit weak, and maybe in 5 yrs the suit will be resolved 🤣

Only chiming in to comment how accurate the WLTP rating is for the MG ZS, and surprisingly so, as my early calculations on 'expected' when using, before receiving, I knocked 20% off as thought they'd be exaggerating a bit, or the ratings just not applicable to real life driving conditions.

WLTP rating of 320 kms, and we consistently get 350-360 kms (per charge) at higher speeds & worse conditions (assuming) that tested.  I was actually expecting something like 275 kms, before receiving.  Which would mean 225 kms, and wouldn't even make it to my daughter at Krung Thep without stopping.  Thankfully not true, and can make it, without topping up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, transam said:

It’s the same with their prices, they give “Prices after savings” ie what you would save if you did the estimated speed and their estimated car by having an EV over an ICE.

This is what happens when you have a leader without checks and balances.

• Thumbs Up 2

JB - Ha ha. No not a bigot. Waiting for a viable alternative.

Gweilo - yes that's stated fairly by non-EV Folks too. In fact - the thread was about the wisdom of a widespread rush to EV. Low maintenance costs - yes, until you have a battery problem . . . .

Yes Vinny - thanks. So production being transferred to China !

Transam - yes ranges are overstated

Khun LA - I'm glad you are getting on well with your EV.

BFN