...And the result is a resounding NO.

Took all of 20 minutes after the polls closed for the powers that be to decide they can stick their proposed constitution changes.

Could not believe how quick they managed to get the result.

Maybe those speed signs written over changing 110 to NO did the trick.

When elections are on it can take a week or more.

Bit more complex I guess with their preferential voting system.

Maybe they should change the voting system in general elections to either a yes or no......... remember old Bejelke Petersen wanted a "first past thepost" election system introduced way back when.

No.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The fault lies mostly with Albanese, who made the most elementary mistakes in the whole process.

"I'm not a details man." Mmmm, well if you needed proof that even PMs have to be (selectively) across the details ...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

..... The ABC has already decided that the essential message of the result is that: "Stupid old rednecks block human progress."

I paraphrase, of course, but their analysis of the data states explicitly that older Australians, and those with "less educational qualifications" were responsible for the results.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-15/voice-results-explained-map/102978520

Sounds like exactly the same arguments as from those who opposed Brexit in UK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would really like many of the younger YES supporters to travel to places I have been, such as Murrum Bridge, Bourke and Wilcannia in NSW, or Fitzroy Crossing and Roebourne in WA.

Wilcannia is a case in point. Prior to the Sydney Olympics, Aboriginals in Redfern were offered significant inducements to move there, in order to polish Sydney's image for visitors.

The authorities did not realize they were mixing a number of tribes. The result is Wilcannia looks like a war zone, with reinforced doors and barred windows on every shop and house in the town. It makes a mockery of the proposition prior to white settlement, the indigenous Australians were co-existing peacefully.

Alcohol made things a lot worse. It removes inhibitions to violence, and I have seen first-hand how violent they can be when their blood is up.

Crikey, you based your No vote on a visit to  'Murrum  Bridge'? Got your rivers confused maybe. As to Wilcannia it was a desolate place long before the  Sydney Olympics. Odd really as  'ironically' its next door to Broken Hill, global mining giant BHP,s birthplace. Guessing no royalties went to local communities in them days! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Crikey, you based your No vote on a visit to  'Murrum  Bridge'? Got your rivers confused maybe. As to Wilcannia it was a desolate place long before the  Sydney Olympics. Odd really as  'ironically' its next door to Broken Hill, global mining giant BHP,s birthplace. Guessing no royalties went to local communities in them days! 

I did not vote, put in an overseas form.

Yes, Wilcannia was desolate before. It did not have barred windows and reinforced doors prior to the Redfern influx.

Murrum Bridge is a small township on the Lachlan River, north of Lake Cargelligo. AFAIK the population is 100% Aboriginal, and it shows.

Edited by Lacessit

Having people like Lidia Thorpe running around screaming the "C" word at people and ranting about genocide of her people (when she herself is 75% Anglo/Celt) didn't help the yes campaign.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Crickey, racists win the vote. Who'da ever thunk this after meeting Aussies? 

Always a good label to pin on anyone who voted No. Argument ad hominem.

As I have a quite dark-skinned Thai GF, you can stick your opinion where the sun doesn't shine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

They'll be back.

The activist types will continue to push this, keep it at the forefront, and try and try until they get another referendum, and if necessary another and another.

The ABC has already decided that the essential message of the result is that: "Stupid old rednecks block human progress."

I paraphrase, of course, but their analysis of the data states explicitly that older Australians, and those with "less educational qualifications" were responsible for the results.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-15/voice-results-explained-map/102978520

I guess I agreer with the ABC, as does the Guardian.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Always a good label to pin on anyone who voted No. Argument ad hominem.

As I have a quite dark-skinned Thai GF, you can stick your opinion where the sun doesn't shine.

I have a dark skinned wife, and I'm a racist like all the Aussies I ever met.I was totally shocked when the country voted for gay marriage as all the Aussies I know we're practically nazis.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, retarius said:

I have a dark skinned wife, and I'm a racist like all the Aussies I ever met.I was totally shocked when the country voted for gay marriage as all the Aussies I know we're practically nazis.

My urologist and GP in Australia are both Chinese, and my dentist is Indian.

Educated people are aware the epicanthic fold is a beneficial genetic mutation to protect against snow blindness, just as dark skin is far less likely to develop skin cancers.

Racism is inversely correlated to education level. That pigeonholes you quite convincingly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grain said:

Having people like Lidia Thorpe running around screaming the "C" word at people and ranting about genocide of her people (when she herself is 75% Anglo/Celt) didn't help the yes campaign.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people with blue eyes or blond hair are claiming Aboriginal ancestry.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Olmate said:

This little gem certainly does! 

As you did not even know Murrum Bridge existed, or where it is located,

there's no way you could know what it looks like.

The experience of driving through there is like driving through Soweto , the Philadelphia projects, or mid-town Detroit.  I'm assuming you have not done that, either.

Edited by Lacessit

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As you did not even know Murrum Bridge existed, or where it is located,

there's no way you could know what it looks like.

The experience of driving through there is like driving through Soweto , the Philadelphia projects, or mid-town Detroit.  I'm assuming you have not done that, either.

Its Murrin Bridge, in fact a dedicated aboriginal community, hardly strange its population is 100% indigenous. Did you take a wrong turn on your journey.? I dare say downtown Detroit has fond memories for you, if not your point is? 

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Its Murrin Bridge, in fact a dedicated aboriginal community, hardly strange its population is 100% indigenous. Did you take a wrong turn on your journey.? I dare say downtown Detroit has fond memories for you, if not your point is? 

I was just curious to see what it was. My point is like Detroit and the other places I referred to, best left in a hurry, going by appearances.

I did remember the first name incorrectly.

21 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

The activist types will continue to push this, keep it at the forefront, and try and try until they get another referendum, and if necessary another and another.

Obviously that would be political suicide.

Lidia Thorpe is basically a raving ratbag who won't be around too long.

In contrast, I can see Jacinta Price being prime minister, bypass Peter Dutton all together.

The 'NO' campaign was non-stop with misinformation, unsupported allegations, assumptions and so on. The PM and 'Yes' supporters failed to counter the nonsense. Dutton should hang his head in shame, I doubt Dutton will ever become PM as he is so divisive. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people with blue eyes or blond hair are claiming Aboriginal ancestry.

Makes me laugh when I see these snow white "aboriginals" on TV referring to themselves as "blackfella" and talking about my "mob", many have been exposed over the years as frauds. They might soon have to start DNA testing many of the ones who are claiming extra benefits for being indigenous, there's talk of free tertiary education for them.  

.............And the latest is all the indigenous mobs from the city have cracked a wobbley and said "no more welcome to country ceremonies".

Sort of like taking your marbles and going home........

All I can say to that is good riddance and start the cost savings........... who knows how many and how much each one of these "ceremonies" cost the taxpayer.

I think, if Jacinta Price gets any power to do so, many will have to answer these and more costs inquiries.

Many will be running for cover I think taking the "books" (if any exist now or ever) with them.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1