Whats sukhumvit like these days?

bignok

48 minutes ago, Albaby said:

Sorry Watson but you're out of touch. Most of us are over leftist basketweaving Pallie sympathisers. Just saying.

Hmmm...I'm aligned with moderate right-wing politics. You don't have to be pro-Zionist to do so. Lazy characterization.

Rather, I'm someone who has studied the history of the Middle East conflict and formed his own opinion. From what I can see, the fact this conflict is still ongoing is because there is a deep-rooted failure on both sides. Neither can accept how to divide this land up properly and they never will it seems. And building settlements on already disputed land, contrary to international law, hardly helps either. 

Hamas are despicable people. Despicable. Radical Islam is a real threat to Western democracy, no doubt. They run Gaza - which was occupied until 2005 - but the democracy aspect is a sham. Most people crowded into that dump don't need this - bombing and starving them into submission is going to make things worse in the long run. Netanyahu is deeply unpopular, corrupt and the wrong leader to deal with this. The US need to keep him in check since they bankroll the country to some extent. 

Regarding terrorism. No doubt Hamas, ISIS are the worst of the worse. But what would you say about those in the Irgun who blew up the King David Hotel in 1946 and killed 91 people...what were they? Israel present them as far from being terrorists. Just saying....

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 2

I think you are looking for a real and serious answer. It depends on what you are looking for. Shopping? Bars (what kind)? Live music? Restaurants? There is a lot of everything going on, I live in the middle of it and thoroughly enjoy it.

I stayed down at Shama, on Ratchadapisek Rd. near to Asok last time I was in town. Soi 10 for 6 months of the previous year. That's the better end of the strip imo - Soi 4 is still within easy reach if you want to hang out down there while the area towards Thong Lor branches in the other direction. Terminal 21 is nearby for shopping and Benjakitti Park close by for some walking and relief from the concrete jungle. 

Soi 4 area is not somewhere I'd have a hotel in these days, though, unless you are planning to hang out in the bars and Plaza most of the time. Good for a night out on occasions tho. 

Edited by MarkyM3

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

You must have taken a hotel car with darkened windows to get between places. I suppose if you did that it might seem like your description.

Nah, we're just diff. If I see a group of brownies, I think: group of brownies. You think: GANG. 

I'm American, we save all our racism for 2 groups. Euro's, Brits and Commonwealth just cut to the chase and look down on everyone. Even each other. I love that.

Sukhamvit is one of the most successful tourist zones in the world. It reminds me of the old joke: That place is so popular that no one goes there any more. Can you name another place with more 5* restaurants in such a small space?  

And great Sunday roasts for your chavvy ilk.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, pomchop said:

Maybe someone can open a whine bar on bangkok sukhumvit as well as pattaya for all the people who just love to WHINE about any and all who don't meet their high standards.

It would obviously do a booming biz with a lot of people on this forum.

When you see those blokes who like wine and air conditioning here, you know they won't last long here.

15 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

I stayed down at Shama, on Ratchadapisek Rd. near to Asok last time I was in town. Soi 10 for 6 months of the previous year. That's the better end of the strip imo - Soi 4 is still within easy reach if you want to hang out down there while the area towards Thong Lor branches in the other direction. Terminal 21 is nearby for shopping and Benjakitti Park close by for some walking and relief from the concrete jungle. 

Soi 4 area is not somewhere I'd have a hotel in these days, though, unless you are planning to hang out in the bars and Plaza most of the time. Good for a night out on occasions tho. 

Just what I've been thinking......soi 4 to soi 11 too manic and noisy.....why stay right in it all.

Think we'll move out Thong Lo way in future when we travel down.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:37 PM, KannikaP said:

Apostrophe needed in What's, and capital S for Sukhumvit. 

Yep, the Spelling & Grammar Police are after you. 

It's amazing how many posters, and I assume the majority of posters are over 50, do not put capital letters in countries, towns and cities etc, even at the beginning of sentences and paragraphs, you wonder what education some of them had.

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:47 PM, FruitPudding said:

You'd think they'd go to Malaysia or Indonesia, or at least a modest and civilized part of Thailand. 

What on Earth could attract so many Arabs to NANA?!

Farangs and drugs??

15 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

It's amazing how many posters, and I assume the majority of posters are over 50, do not put capital letters in countries, towns and cities etc, even at the beginning of sentences and paragraphs, you wonder what education some of them had.

Too lazy to press Caps key!

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

MeIhatewastingtimewiththespacebar.

On 10/16/2023 at 8:29 PM, MarkyM3 said:

And no, I have no religious or political affiliations...both sides at are fault for what's going on in the Middle East rn.  

I'm neither jew nor Palestinian but I know who'd I'd rather have in my neighborhood. Time for Israel to initiate a final solution to its infestation problem and rid itself of these animals once and for all. They'll forever have to deal with the arab vermin surrounding them but at least it won't be INSIDE their borders anymore.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:43 PM, FruitPudding said:

Phrom Phong is still okay in comparison to Nana and Asoke, I suppose. 

But it still aint what it used to be.

"But it still aint what it used to be". 

Thailand has lost the plot. If you have memories of 'the good old days'...lucky you!

What was once,

there is there no more...

3 hours ago, tkramer said:

"But it still aint what it used to be". 

Thailand has lost the plot. If you have memories of 'the good old days'...lucky you!

What was once,

there is there no more...

Those of us who lived it are like herons beside a dried out pond, we know there is nothing here anymore, but we don't know where to fly to.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Those of us who lived it are like herons beside a dried out pond, we know there is nothing here anymore, but we don't know where to fly to.

can you be more specific as to why you don't like the area?

is it venues thst have changed, or the people around there?

what do you miss from the past that's no longer there?

On 10/16/2023 at 7:47 PM, FruitPudding said:

You'd think they'd go to Malaysia or Indonesia, or at least a modest and civilized part of Thailand. 

What on Earth could attract so many Arabs to NANA?!

Said the sex tourist…

As a backpacker visiting, you were all as bad as each other. Clearly you thought/think that you were a cut above. There was Grace on the one side and Nana complex on the other. All full of filthy sex tourists. No need to discriminate amongst the lowlife. But sometimes we would head over to Sukhumvit for a change of diet late at night. Took Lae Dee was always open. Reminded me of a scene in Stars Wars. So rich that people here like to think there are somehow superior in not being Arab ☺️

23 hours ago, JimTripper said:

When you see those blokes who like wine and air conditioning here, you know they won't last long here.

I think pomchop might have been referring to you. I’m not joking. Review your posts for confirmation. 

On 10/17/2023 at 12:25 PM, mokwit said:

It is a 3rd world sh*thole now. Better renamed as Shoukhumvit.

To add to  your list: always 5 Bangladeshis in front of you, whether 7-11* or buying fruit or just walking on the pavement, whatever.

Chinese wheelie luggage pushers blocking the pavements.

* holding up the que every time with their: "my friend told them there is a special deal available" - staff: "no, it's just large or small, that's it".

So it wasn’t ‘Third World’ when the women were so desperate that they’d sleep with you for next to nothing and you could rent them by the month? Despicable. 

Lower Sukhumvit        Lived here 10 years           Pre Covid                   post Covid   totally different place

Yes Very Arab        Lots of Pot stores          Muslims don't drink alcohol,  looks like Indians don't do bars, so there is a lot of emptiness on Soi 4. 

I would say that So 1 to T21 needs a really good street cleaning and repair                  something like they did on Silom by the Complex

• Like 1

Just now, nana kid said:

Lower Sukhumvit        Lived here 10 years           Pre Covid                   post Covid   totally different place

Yes Very Arab        Lots of Pot stores          Muslims don't drink alcohol,  looks like Indians don't do bars, so there is a lot of emptiness on Soi 4. 

I would say that So 1 to T21 needs a really good street cleaning and repair                  something like they did on Silom by the Complex

100%......I know it has been said many times before that the bar scene is dying........but this time it really seems to be the case.........with just a few exceptions.

Lot of people on the street walking nowhere and buying nothing.

Lots of family types....why come to soi 4 thru soi 20+?

Soi 7 was up and coming, but is dying a death now........the odd bar seems to be very popular.........but the vast majority must be in desperate straits

6 hours ago, NextG said:

So it wasn’t ‘Third World’ when the women were so desperate that they’d sleep with you for next to nothing and you could rent them by the month? Despicable. 

You want to be careful with your accusations. Where did I mention women, or is that a stereotype you project onto others with no evidence?

You of course are here for the temples, floating markets and handicrafts demonstrations and everyone else is a vile sexpat. This is where you have to come to be able to get a feeling of superiority? Couldn't manage that in your home country. Shame you can't go home.