Stranded British man seeks help as wife takes passport and sails away

snoop1130

37 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

An echo of a comment from Billd earlier - in the past it would have been possible to visit the British Embassy and get an 'Emergency Passport' - hopefully such help can still be obtained in genuine circumstances.

Years ago, I got one from the British Embassy in Lagos, Nigeria which allowed me to leave the Country and they later helpfully recovered my original passport from my Employer, (a very powerful Man), and returned it to me in the UK.

(I then returned to Nigeria to work for another Company).

Snoop - you've gotta ask at least ! Good luck.

I don't know the UK, but usually there is not an emergency 'passport' but emergency travel documents for returning a limited purpose such as returning home or a specific country and return.  The passport would have to go through normal (or expedited -- if available) process.  Not all countries accept emergency travel documents for entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

How does he get from Phuket to Bangkok to get travel documents?

No passport, and no money.

Need passport to get on a bus.

Tourist police arranged bus travel, the photo is taken at the Phuket Bus Terminal, it says in the link to Thaiger News. 

Ps, there's a bus in the original photo. ????

Edited by roo860
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I don't know the UK, but usually there is not an emergency 'passport' but emergency travel documents for returning a limited purpose such as returning home or a specific country and return.  The passport would have to go through normal (or expedited -- if available) process.  Not all countries accept emergency travel documents for entry.

The UK accepts emergency travel documents from its citizens, and that's where he's going.

Edited by roo860

Just now, bkkcanuck8 said:

You are correct that only he can use it, but it is NOT his property.

If you open your passport, I think it is even printed in there (if not it was on the application form).  The owner of passports is the state (I don't know of any states that actually grant you ownership).  [depending on when issued]

"This passport remains the property of Her Majesty's Government and may be withdraw at any time if the holder ceases to be entitled to the protection of Her Majesty's Government,"

or 

"This passport remains the property of Her Majesty's Government and may be withdrawn at any time."

Yes and no. The person can use it. Others cannot. So still technically his therefore she stole it. Plus loss of money. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Yes and no. The person can use it. Others cannot. So still technically his therefore she stole it. Plus loss of money. 

They are married, proving the money was exclusively his - is problematic.  (updated original post - with reference to a guess of what the charge would be if the UK were to charge her ... but then they would only do that if she sold it or gave it to someone else to use - and again that would be charged in the UK not Thailand)

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Somebody please catch me up here...  I'm not seeing any indication, except guesses, whether the wife is Thai or a foreign national, or a Brit....

Obviously a Brit, or they would have added to the click bait

• Confused 2

Just now, bkkcanuck8 said:

They are married, proving the money was exclusively his - is problematic.  (updated original post - with reference to a guess of what the charge would be if the UK were to charge her ... but then they would only do that if she sold it or gave it to someone else to use)

Unless she took cards in his name

Just now, bignok said:

Unless she took cards in his name

They would have to be actually for accounts only in his name... and then it is still a stretch since debts during marriage are communal and would be divided by divorce court (my parents credit card accounts are ... the same account)

1 minute ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

They would have to be actually for accounts only in his name... and then it is still a stretch since debts during marriage are communal and would be divided by divorce court (my parents credit card accounts are ... the same account)

Best not get married then. 

• Haha 1