Srettha invites Putin to visit Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Hunz Kittisak said:

Maybe it’s a sting operation 

imagine if Thailand helped to capture Putin

They would be  afraid of getting ‘nuked’ 

TBH the security would be unreal as they are loads of Russians and Ukrainians here who wouldn’t mind a pop at Putin that is if the real Putin turned up not one of his stunt doubles.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Your comments are simply another side of the coin..... the USA has condemned Russia for attacking another country in Europe, killing its civilians, and also Hamas who attacked bloodily, innocent civilians over the border. Thailand has opened it's arms and put down red carpets for the perpetrators of these bullying and war mongering actions. If you find that commendable. Your stance is that of a fool. 

So why doesn't the US stop doing business with Saudi Arabia for the killing of Houthis going on in Yemen then? Or, for chopping people's heads of in public. Or, for the grisly  dismemberment of that journalist in one of its own consulates? On the contrary, Biden flies over and does bromance fist bumps in pressers with Mohammad Bin Salman. Something to do with the price of oil, wasn't it?

You criticism of Thailand for being friends with the world is nothing more than ill-informed hypocrisy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You can criticize the leaders in the West.

Can’t do that in Russia, China or even Thailand.

Tells me all I need to know.

Not at all. If you read my earlier post in this thread, I said that foreign policy is nuanced, pragmatic even. People here think international relations should be like supporting a football team, so buy into all this "with us or against us" nonsense that the US is so fond of using.

All Thailand is doing here is minding its own business, while daring to maintain friendships with places the US government of the day and media circus currently disapproves of. Lots of other countries around the world seem to be doing likewise, because recent history has shown us that the US (and the west in general) isn't as powerful as it was, and has lost the moral high ground that it still tries to claim. 

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

So why doesn't the US stop doing business with Saudi Arabia for the killing of Houthis going on in Yemen then? Or, for chopping people's heads of in public. Or, for the grisly  dismemberment of that journalist in one of its own consulates? On the contrary, Biden flies over and does bromance fist bumps in pressers with Mohammad Bin Salman. Something to do with the price of oil, wasn't it?

You criticism of Thailand for being friends with the world is nothing more than ill-informed hypocrisy. 

Well not sure the USA is on the side of Houthis or should be, and they have their own habit of killing undesirables. In KSA the head chopping is the method they use, as dictated to them. And KSA has oil, lots and lots of it!

Thailand has invited this dictator to pay a visit which is a step too far in it's friendliness....comparing USA actions to Russian, and Putin to say Biden, is where naivety and  being poorly informed is indicated! Putin has put the world in fear of nuclear war for the sake of his own ego. He is truly evil and ruthless.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well not sure the USA is on the side of Houthis or should be, and they have their own habit of killing undesirables. In KSA the head chopping is the method they use, as dictated to them. And KSA has oil, lots and lots of it!

Thailand has invited this dictator to pay a visit which is a step too far in it's friendliness....comparing USA actions to Russian, and Putin to say Biden, is where naivety and  being poorly informed is indicated! Putin has put the world in fear of nuclear war for the sake of his own ego. He is truly evil and ruthless.

You seem to first concede that Biden shamelessly fist bumping an evil dictator, who has journalists chopped up with bone saws, is an acceptable expression of foreign policy. Then you double down on your condemnation of Thailand for welcoming Putin, presumably because Putin is currently the bogey man in the mass media.

You have a very obvious double standard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Again, if you think Biden, and his actions compare to Putin, and his, you should worry less of my standards. 

I've used examples to show you that Thailand and the west are actually no different in their nuanced approach to international relations. 

It's therefore unreasonable for you to single out Thailand for your pompous condemnation, even though you won't acknowledge your error.

• Haha 1

Just now, sidneybear said:

I've used examples to show you that Thailand and the west are actually no different in their nuanced approach to international relations. 

It's therefore unreasonable for you to single out Thailand for your pompous condemnation, even though you won't acknowledge your error.

Your examples failed. They are very very different!

I 'single out' Thailand as this is a Thailand centric forum, and a topic about the Thai leader..... also the country I live in, get with the program! 

I have made no error, but carry on bringing up Saudia Arabia and Yemen as if relevant! Your use of ad hominem attack shows you are struggling!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Your examples failed. They are very very different!

I 'single out' Thailand as this is a Thailand centric forum, and a topic about the Thai leader..... also the country I live in, get with the program! 

I have made no error, but carry on bringing up Saudia Arabia and Yemen as if relevant! Your use of ad hominem attack shows you are struggling!

Did you read anything about the West condemning Azerbaijan for kicking Armenians out of their ancestral homes in the Nagorno-Karabakh region? Or that the West maintains friendly relations with Azerbaijan's dictator? I don't believe you did, or you'd be agreeing with my point about your hypocrisy. 

1 minute ago, sidneybear said:

Did you read anything about the West condemning Azerbaijan for kicking Armenians out of their ancestral homes in the Nagorno-Karabakh region? Or that the West maintains friendly relations with Azerbaijan's dictator? I don't believe you did, or you'd be agreeing with my point about your hypocrisy. 

Yes I did.

World is full of such disputes, at this time I am living in Thailand and on a Thailand centric forum.....

How is it you see those issues and bandy them around and have yet missed the Russian invasion and bombing of Ukraine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

Yes I did.

World is full of such disputes, at this time I am living in Thailand and on a Thailand centric forum.....

How is it you see those issues and bandy them around and have yet missed the Russian invasion and bombing of Ukraine?

Oftentimes, leaving a western styled bogeyman like Putin where he is saves more lives in the long run, as we've seen in places like Iraq. Thailand realises this, so it keeps its nose out of other people's business, while adopting a pragmatic foreign policy. By pragmatic, I mean that Thailand needs to make new friends, because who needs friends like America anyway? Look at how the US just turned its back on those poor Afghanis for some pointers here. Moreover, places like Russia have conservative values that are more similar to Thailand's these days, unlike modern western values which Thais find are increasingly repulsive, and who can blame them for that?

Thailand isn't America's cheerleader anymore, I'm so glad to see.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I have no problem with that sentiment.. I am not an American and am often dismayed at some of my own country's decisions whereby they tag along with the USA. The topic is about Srettha, Putin and Thailand, and the inviting of Putin, of all people, to come visit Thailand, was politically naive. Nor is it 'leaving him where he is', it is validating his actions. 

Guessing you're British. I was too. It's nothing more than a client state of America these days. It needs a ruler like de Gaulle, if you ask me, one who isn't afraid of expressing independent thoughts and standing up for his country's best interests. 

Indeed the topic is about why Thailand would (dare to) invite Putin for a visit. You condemned it and singled out Thailand as bad. I then offered reasons why the bigger picture should be taken into account, for the benefit of Thailand in the longer term. 

7 hours ago, daejung said:

wrong : "putain" in french and it's not pronouced as "putin"

no. you are wrong. phonically putin is the same as putain. and putin, as the french say it, should be 'poutine' in spelling, the same as the national canadian dish. don't try to teach the french french

you know that ghoti is fish. right? google it

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

no. you are wrong. phonically putin is the same as putain. and putin, as the french say it, should be 'poutine' in spelling, the same as the national canadian dish. don't try to teach the french french

you know that ghoti is fish. right? google it

Well  that gets the 'off topic post of the week' prize. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

come to think about it...you are more off topic than me. your just being caustic

You are off topic yet again....  talk about not knowing when to shut up!

Sorry I made you look foolish... but no need to compound it.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You are off topic yet again....  talk about not knowing when to shut up!

pot kettle. instead of contributing you keep going around being simply annoying you are boorish with too much time on your hands. 

so, clap it

Edited by Pouatchee

The distinguished sturdy contributors here will not change their minds. All have their own idea in this issue and no matter of ranting here will change people's idea,

All for the best to have an independant mind and non-mainstream opinion

To keep this short, it is the duty of every nation to look into their own interests, before serving the orders of any western superpower.

No matter which country or which despot in power; it's business first for many of our so-called "developped homelands".

So why should Thailand not be allowed the same ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Aleksey75 said:

Look back at about 23 years ago... 2 Chechen wars, the "Kursk" submarine, the explosion of apartment buildings in different cities, including Moscow, the "Nord-Ost" theatre, Beslan school, Georgia, Crimea, Siria, Ukraine again... Between those "deeds", poisoning and killing of about 150 journalists and former FSB officers, who tried to speak up the truth about putin.... 

And a  partridge in a pear tree! 🎵,

I am sure the other side will have a different take on all of these and could produce an equally damning list  why the other side sucks . 

By the way, is Guantanamo Bay still open? 

Edited by sirineou
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

And a  partridge in a pear tree! 🎵,

I am sure the other side will have a different take on all of these and could produce an equally damning list  why the other side sucks . 

By the way, is Guantanamo Bay still open? 

The fact that he is a criminal is enough. The other sides may have their own versions or reasons, but they won't deny the existing fact. 

34 minutes ago, Aleksey75 said:

The fact that he is a criminal is enough. The other sides may have their own versions or reasons, but they won't deny the existing fact. 

Ok so you are saying that he should only meet with the criminals you like?