App for calling Thailand to Australia

A while ago the Line Out option, in the Line app, to pay and make overseas phone calls was removed and I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement. 

I don't want to pay for a monthly subscription because I only use it infrequently calling government offices Etc for attending to personal business in Australia. So i'm hoping someone has a suggestion for an inexpensive option.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, 1 said:

A while ago the Line Out option, in the Line app, to pay and make overseas phone calls was removed and I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement. 

I don't want to pay for a monthly subscription because I only use it infrequently calling government offices Etc for attending to personal business in Australia. So i'm hoping someone has a suggestion for an inexpensive option.

Cheers

If you're looking to call a business which will surely have a voice menu, unless they use the app you're using to call, I think you'll be stuck with having to pay some money.    

Nothings purely free.

• Thanks 2

With AIS you just dial 00500 + country no. [61 for Oz] + phone no.

Can't remember the price (I've never checked) but I think the same as local call (or maybe a bit more but unrelated to duration of call).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 1 said:

Cheers

I call a buddy in Australia several times every week using the basic LINE application.

Last time, yesterday evening, still works well, never any charges.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I call a buddy in Australia several times every week using the basic LINE application.

Last time, yesterday evening, still works well, never any charges.

Yeah but you both need to line up for that.

I'm looking to call Australian phone numbers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I still use Skype  for Oz Goverment/Bank type calls , also use it a lot in Thailand as friends  have  it on--so thats free........:coffee1:

I'm assuming to call government/banks Etc you have to pay for the service? But I have to confess Skype has dropped off the radar for me but it's probably worth checking out. Thanks

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Can't remember the price (I've never checked) but I think the same as local call (or maybe a bit more but unrelated to duration of call).

That's interesting I have an AIS service so I'll check that out. Cheers

11 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Sorry just to follow up. Are you calling from a landline or a mobile?

Skype you can buy any $$ of credit you want.

To call australia landline is 3c per minute.

To call australia mobile i think is 15c per minute.

Works good and displays your aussie number too as the call its coming from if you want

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 1 said:

'm assuming to call government/banks Etc you have to pay for the service? But I have to confess Skype has dropped off the radar for me but it's probably worth checking out. Thanks

http://www.skaip.org/call-rates

Skype goes by what country you call---not what country you call from........so Oz is $us0.023 per min --but if you are going to phone the same number repeatedly-- you can nominate a certain amount of numbers and they are free----I used to call my father every 5-6 days in UK so nominated that.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

I still use Skype  for Oz Goverment/Bank type calls , also use it a lot in Thailand as friends  have  it on--so thats free........:coffee1:

The OP wants to call businesses in Oz.    It'd be very uncommon for banks and such to have a Skype calling option.     How much is you monthly sub. for calling Oz on Skype?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

How much is you monthly sub. for calling Oz on Skype?

Nothing  no sub needed.  As far as I know there never was.  SKYPE calls them on land or mobile, I dont understand what your saying about them having to have SKYPE ..there is no need --I just mentioned if both parties have then its free...if not then look at charge list provided..... no extra fee.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

The OP wants to call businesses in Oz.    It'd be very uncommon for banks and such to have a Skype calling option.     How much is you monthly sub. for calling Oz on Skype?

I don't have a subscription, I use Skype credit to call businesses in Oz including banks, you can use virtual phone keypad to select from menus. The rates are 2-3 cents per minute to landlines, and when you dial the number, it displays the rate before you place the call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

The OP wants to call businesses in Oz.    It'd be very uncommon for banks and such to have a Skype calling option.     

Again the OP wants to call businesses.    Businesses such as banks, insurance companies and such are unlikely to have a Skype calling option.

8 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Nothing  no sub needed.  As far as I know there never was.  SKYPE calls them on land or mobile, I dont understand what your saying about them having to have SKYPE ..there is no need --I just mentioned if both parties have then its free...if not then look at charge list provided..... no extra fee.

Sounds like affirmation of what I posted.

Carry on...

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

https://www.skype.com/en/international-calls/Australia

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1 said:

Cheers

When I absolutely have to call landlines in U.K. for such as Utility Companies and Inland Revenue etc. I sign up for one months unlimited calls. It takes all the stress and frustration out of queuing for 40 minutes then to be transferred onwards then cut off! Here is your equivalent for Australia; https://www.skype.com/en/international-calls/Australia

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

I don't have a subscription, I use Skype credit to call businesses in Oz including banks, you can use virtual phone keypad to select from menus. The rates are 2-3 cents per minute to landlines, and when you dial the number, it displays the rate before you place the call.

I dont think Full agreement understands how Skype works........ :w00t:

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

What are you writing about a Skype option----- you just dont understand, do you ?--- Skype connects to the land line--or mobile  of the person you are calling---they dont need to have Skype.....

I think what he's referring to is some businesses will sometimes have a Skype option to make a free call via the Skype app to their Skype app.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Canadian Government must be incredibly generous!

1 800 is what is known as toll free #

maybe different area code in oz

no canadian gvt is one of the cheapest ass hat gimmicks there is

i googled social services in oz and seems many agencies are toll free

here is example

Apr 24, 2023 — Services Australia customer compliance line ; Employment income reviews. 1800 194 053
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, 1 said:

I think what he's referring to is some businesses will sometimes have a Skype option to make a free call via the Skype app to their Skype app.

That's Kind of you to cover for him 1 ....but no he just doesn't understand it  (skype) , because all gov Dept & banks are land line --when did you last phone the Oz Gov and they were working out of a mobile number. And there are no Apps on the Gov Land line......................Thanks anyway.

• Thanks 1